Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #241
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Were you born that way? Did you teach yourself? Did you do it to overcome mistakes or to achieve a goal? Who were your frugal role models?
I had frugal role models. We also grew up poor, so frugality was part of life. Now, it is a habit; however, we still live life, see the world, we just try to reduce our impact on the world and on our health. Home cooking is healthier than buying packaged, or eating in restaurants. We are mainly plant based, but do eat some meat, but we prepare our own meals, perform our own home or car repairs. We will call professionals before we ruin our home or car. LOL We take care of our lawn, and over all, our frugal lifestyle does not FEEL at all "less than". WE are fulfilled.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #242
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tend to be frugal (my wife would more than agree). Both my parents came from Ireland and both were dirt poor growing up on farms. they came from the school of hard knocks. Growing up, my father worked for the city of chicago as a stationary engineer (he went to school in Ireland for a total of 8 years) and my mother worked pt as a crossing guard.

They made sure there was good food on the table and that my brother and I went to highly rated catholic grammar/high schools. My dad always bought used cars. While we celebrated Christmas like everyone else, I remember us not getting many toys compared to our friends.

Anyhoo, an apple does not fall far from the tree. My inherited frugal ways paved the path for me to retire at 55. Like the old man, I still rag about leaving lights on and the heating bill - the old man would be proud of me.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Why are you frugal?
Old 05-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #243
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why are you frugal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I was born into poverty in a Pennsylvania coal miner family. The mines closed shortly after I was born and Dad joined the Navy and fought in WWII as he could not find work in Pittston Pa. Mom and I lived with her mother in a "coal company" house for three years with no heat other than a kitchen coal stove and we had an outhouse for a toilet. Grandma raised chickens in the backyard. I guess I ate a lot of chicken early on!

When Dad returned from the war in 1946, we moved to Connecticut where Dad could find work. We got qualified to move into a "slum" housing project when my sister came along (needed two kids minimum to qualify for the housing project).

Dad was an alcoholic and Mom turned into one. They separated when I was 15 and Mom moved back to Pa to live with Grandma. She took my sister along. I lived with Dad in a rundown flat as we got booted from the housing project.

Frugal? We didn't have any money except to pay rent and buy food.

At 17 years old and just out of high school (1961), I left this mess behind and went to live on my own. I got a job, bought a $50 car, lived with a school friend, and made it pretty well until Uncle Sam called me for an extended vacation in South East Asia at age 20.

Going into the military was the best thing that had happened to me as I got to see and spend time with successful people ("successful" meaning many came from normal families and had resources to get educated, etc). I quickly realized that I needed a college education to get ahead. After the military, the G.I. Bill helped me go to college (paid me $222/month) and I worked part time to pay the rest. The rest was history and I earned an Mechanical Engineering degree and later an MBA in finance.

I guess I never had a spending problem (being non-frugal) when it came to what to do with money, since I/we never had much of it. So being frugal became ingrained into my lifestyle. Now, DW?....Well, let's not go there....LOL!

My Dad was from Alison Park, Pa and had a very similar story other then joining the military by choice. By my high school years, he had made it to the official middle class.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #244
gone traveling

When we were first marrried we realized we would never FIRE unless we make sacrifices and worked smartly. At that time Money magazine was a large part of our education. We didnít have role models. We just both knew that we wanted to be ďa self made man and womanĒ We never tried to live up to our peers who were buying new cars and big houses right out of college. We worked two or three jobs at a time for many years. We didnít have fat salaries but now after years of frugality and real estate investing we can say we are independently wealthy. Itís a nice feeling.
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #245
gone traveling

I am not.
We are not.
The models say that our daughter will inherit between $100K and $12M
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #246
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'm almost 78....."What's an egg?"
It is my goto meal of choice. Along with smoked meat sandwiches...

Planning to learn online "when I have the time"!
Old 05-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Why are we frugal?

For us, its in our genes.

For me, on DF's side DGF's family farm struggled through the Depression and DGF went bankrupt but made a great comeback building a construction business the DU still runs. DF never graduated from HS but did graduate from the school of hard knocks and went on to a successful career selling heavy construction equipment.

DGM on DM's side immigrated to the US from Spain when she was 4 years old and quit school in the 6th grade to work because the family needed the money. She was widowed in the early-1940s with 4 mouths to feed but through grit and determination made ends meet as a low earner... my aunt likes to say that they lived well enough that she never realized that they were poor until she was in her late teens. When DGM passed we found a whole kitchen drawer with the zip lock bags that you get when you buy cold cuts at some grocery stores... all clean and neatly folded... why pay for zip-lock bags when the deli at the grocery store gives them to you for free?

DW was similar story... her dad died in a plane crash when she was 13 so money was tight for her family of 8 with 7 kids.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I also follow the advice that "what anyone else thinks of you is none of your business!"
Old 05-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #249
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Your parents sound like absolute treasures!

Thank you! They were... though in truth I did not fully appreciate it until I went away to college and started living on my own. Then I truly saw the benefit of what they were trying to teach me.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Thank you! They were... though in truth I did not fully appreciate it until I went away to college and started living on my own. Then I truly saw the benefit of what they were trying to teach me.
I can think of very few people who appreciated the efforts their parents made (or the intangible gifts they imparted) at the time. It was only later that it dawned on them.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #251

We are not particularly frugal but we do shop on value. We have always lived below our income. Strong aversion to consumer debt and long term mortgages.

Price is only part of the equation for us. Value to us is what counts.

Happy to keep our vehicles for 15 years and longer if it means we can travel more often or retire earlier. We do not particularly need the newest of anything. Quite often version 2.0 is better and less expensive. No issue with a smaller home in a better neighborhood.

We don't go about saving bits of elastic or wire for just in case or scrimp on anything that we want. But....we are far from the world's greatest consumers. Nor do we care a whit about keeping up with others or what we think others expect of us.

We can thank our parents for much of that attitude.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote