Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Coffee thats been roasted longer and darker has less caffeine than light or medium roast coffees. Although its generally made with darker, lower caffeine beans, coffee made in an espresso machine has approximately double the caffeine of regular coffee due to the high pressure used to make the drink. Decafe coffee still has a little caffeine in it and some broad testing has found decafe coffee with almost the same caffeine level as regular coffee.
An espresso cup has about as much caffeine as a cup of strong coffee. But servings for espresso are much smaller, so the content of caffeine per ounce are much higher than with a regular brew.

A *$ Tall Drip Coffee has 240mg of caffeine. A solo espresso has 89, and a doppio 178mg.

I'm not sure where you heard about decaf having as much caffeine as full-caf. Reading:

Quote:
The results showed that the caffeine content of the decaffeinated espresso shots varied widely -- from 3 to nearly 16 milligrams; the caffeine content of the decaf brewed coffee ranged from 12 to 13.4 milligrams per 16-ounce serving.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Use the slide to show several types of coffee, including Starbucks and McDonalds and other drinks with the caffeine content.

http://www.ketv.com/slideshow/style/...70/detail.html
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Starbucks is way too expensive for my LBYM preferences right now, and the taste is disappointing compared with other specialty coffee places.

The older I get, the more caffeine disturbs my sleep. At first, I had to stop drinking coffee at lunch time. Now, I am even reluctantly making my morning coffee as half decaf. I have always loved coffee but my future says "decaf".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23 View Post
An espresso cup has about as much caffeine as a cup of strong coffee. But servings for espresso are much smaller, so the content of caffeine per ounce are much higher than with a regular brew.

A *$ Tall Drip Coffee has 240mg of caffeine. A solo espresso has 89, and a doppio 178mg.

I'm not sure where you heard about decaf having as much caffeine as full-caf. Reading:
Values are pretty variable depending on whose stats you read, but the USDA says that coffee averages about 64mg per fluid ounce, while espresso may range up to 200mg per 1.5 ounce serving depending on the machine used and the beans.

Consumer reports did the analysis of decafe coffees at the point of sale. Clearly theres some mixup of beans and/or caffeinated finished product ending up in the decafe decanter. Some of the mixups were pretty consistent IIRC. I guess the point is, if you get wound up from drinking decafe, chances are it wasnt really decafe.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Starbucks was the first nationwide Specialty coffee chain. The first mover sometimes captures the prize in a market. It worked for them. So far no one has been able to knock them off. Plus, they began replicating the McDonalds formula... put one on every corner.

Plus, it is kinda hip in areas that do not have many coffee shops.

I like strong coffees... But I am not interested in paying a huge premium for it on an ongoing basis. I will every once in a while. When I do, I liked the Ethiopian coffees... Extra Strong.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
The older I get, the more caffeine disturbs my sleep. At first, I had to stop drinking coffee at lunch time. Now, I am even reluctantly making my morning coffee as half decaf. I have always loved coffee but my future says "decaf".
I am experiencing the same thing. I used to regularly drink an entire pot at home in the morning plus several cups during the day right up until bedtime. Nowadays, I only drink three or four cups per day and I need to cut off my caffeine by 3 in the afternoon to avoid the "big eye" at bedtime.
Mavourneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I like strong coffees... But I am not interested in paying a huge premium for it on an ongoing basis. I will every once in a while. When I do, I liked the Ethiopian coffees... Extra Strong.
Ditto on the Ethiopian coffees...the best!
Mavourneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #48

I restrict my intake to one tall cup in the morning. Starbuck or Caribou are too strong and bitter to me. I prefer the coffee from Penera Bread.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Starbucks was the first nationwide Specialty coffee chain. The first mover sometimes captures the prize in a market. It worked for them. So far no one has been able to knock them off. Plus, they began replicating the McDonalds formula... put one on every corner.
There are quite a few similarities between Starbucks and McDonalds. They were both among one of the first in their space, they were one of the first to aggressively expand nationwide and beyond, and even though not many people consider their consumable products to be among the best available, they are both extremely consistent and no matter where you go, when you ho into one of their locations, you know exactly what to expect and what you're going to get.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavourneen View Post
Ditto on the Ethiopian coffees...the best!
Labradorian, man...

Most truckstops have good coffee!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - Thing I like about Starbucks is that I won't go in one unless someone else is buying - after all I have to watch my rep.

I can endure a wide latitude in coffee. Now doughnuts/doughnut shops are a different matter entirely - very picky. Good powdered sugar(the kind that goes all over the place) and Bavarian custard filling is a good start.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
............ Good powdered sugar(the kind that goes all over the place) and Bavarian custard filling is a good start..........

Very true. A really good donut is as much worn, as eaten.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

My last trip to starbucks, we had two regular coffees, a large milk (my wife wanted it, and the request was met with a suspicious and confused look), and two small cinnamon twist things. The bill was $17. Turns out on further examination the $8 milk was the culprit. I should have told them to give me a latte, hold the coffee, hold the steam.

Like I said...my LAST trip to starbucks.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

My DH and I HATE Starbucks. Am I the only one who thinks their coffee tastes burnt?
Worried in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried in FL View Post
My DH and I HATE Starbucks. Am I the only one who thinks their coffee tastes burnt?
I think that pretty well covers it !
tjon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #56

Consistency - for the most part. When I'm traveling on business I know what I'm going to get when I go to a Starbucks. I think that's the big draw for me. Besides, I drink plain old regular coffee, so Starbucks isn't that much more expensive than any other coffee store. The ambiance & people watching is fun too!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #57

I think the milk/sugar thing is huge for making starbucks coffee taste better. My home brew (peet's) tastes great w/ just a little sugar, no cream (although i like a lot of both) but starbucks tastes bitter icky w/out all the flavorings added in.

I really like Peet's though...wish they were on every block! but perhaps that might lower their quality a bit. i also like the knowledgable, coffee-nerd staff. i walked into a coffee bean and asked them if they had fair trade and they stared at me like i was speaking martian.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I really like Peet's though...wish they were on every block! but perhaps that might lower their quality a bit. i also like the knowledgable, coffee-nerd staff. i walked into a coffee bean and asked them if they had fair trade and they stared at me like i was speaking martian.
Obviously I'm not a knowledgable coffee-nerd. Fair trade? :confused: Sounds like Martian-speak to me.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
My last trip to starbucks, we had two regular coffees, a large milk (my wife wanted it, and the request was met with a suspicious and confused look), and two small cinnamon twist things. The bill was $17. Turns out on further examination the $8 milk was the culprit. I should have told them to give me a latte, hold the coffee, hold the steam.

Like I said...my LAST trip to starbucks.
$8 is ridiculous for a glass of milk.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Fair trade? :confused: Sounds like Martian-speak to me.
Quote:
$8 is ridiculous for a glass of milk.
Yes, but it came from a "fair trade" cow... Fair trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote