Yet another CNBC thread.

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
In another thread, I see mention of folks who watch CNBC in the morning. I know it's hard to admit to this since we are not supposed to be influenced by the "Talking Heads", but I watch certain segments also and generally record those for later viewing. I record (daily):

Fast Money Halftime Show

Fast Money (at 4:00 PM central)

I do this because *sometimes* they have really bright guests on to give points of view about the economy, markets, etc. Let's say I look for information on trends that will help me make better market/investing decisions.

Just curious what segments of CNBC you watch regularly and why?

And also if there are other similar programs you watch to gain financial or investing information, etc.

Note: I used to watch Cramer, but have fallen off that madness. In fairness to him, he sometimes interviews CEO's etc who are interesting to listen to (although I have to believe some of them may not be 100% truthful):rolleyes:

Before Maria Bartiromo added some poundage, I tried to watch her. Those other women do little for me, and the guys are totally beyond any hope of redemption.

Ha

I often check in during the morning to see how the day is starting off. Their chatter focuses on short term matters but as a long term investor I can filter that out. I'd watch Cramer's Mad Money if the swooping camerawork were not so overused.

Note: I used to watch Cramer, but have fallen off that madness. In fairness to him, he sometimes interviews CEO's etc who are interesting to listen to (although I have to believe some of them may not be 100% truthful):rolleyes:

There should be a "Cramer Sound Board" button that sings "Click goes the remote!".

Before Maria Bartiromo added some poundage, I tried to watch her. Those other women do little for me, and the guys are totally beyond any hope of redemption.

Ha

If you think Maria has been in the pasta bowl too much, you should have a look at Sue Herra and Michelle Caruso - Cabrerra. Some of the younger ones are taking the best time spots these days.

Dennis Gartman is a interesting guy to watch when he makes an appearance. I suppose if I played options, the option 1/2 hour would be entertaining.

There should be a required notice on the channel: WARNING: Watching CNBC may be hazardous to your health. Financial and physical. Watch at your own risk.

Not only is watching that crap likely to be expensive, it is brain-draining crap.

I feel liberated that I have broken the CNBC habit to a large extent. Other than a periodic peek at the markets I avoid the channel. Fortunately I never took action on any of the news or predictions presented.

I only turn CNBC on sometimes in the morning to have some background noise. I used to watch MSNBC Joe Scarborough a few years ago but stopped watching as Scarborough keeps interrupting everyone, which I find disrespectful.

I occasionally turn it on to see how the markets are doing. If I watched it too much, I think it would drive me up the wall. When the Dow goes up 100+ points, they'll say something like "Equities are back, baby!". Then if it goes down over 100 points the very next day, they'll say "Equities are overvalued"

Who are all these people mentioned? CNBC? only time I see it is if happens to be on, on the coffehouse TV bolted to to the wall.

Last financial program I actually watched at times was Louis Rukeyser, maybe 15 years ago. Concluded that he and the varios panels hosted by him were as full of $hit as God is of mercy.

Sorry, I disagree with you folks. I watch it for a little bit most days like a number of you just to see how the market is today. But......I do think they bring up decent points to think about (I did not say ACT upon). When I was still teaching, during [-]required torture training[/-] faculty meetings someone would eventually say something worth listening to and would remind me of some detail I had kind of let slip over time. I treat CNBC that way. Sometimes it is good to be reminded of something I hadn't given enough thought to. [MOD EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Bloomberg app on my iPhone as it's easy to check futures and market stats w/o getting "sucked" into the drama. I feel that I have the discipline to ignore the BS that gets spewed but it still raises my blood pressure and gets my mind running through all the dire scenarios.

I watch CNBC quite frequently. Doesn't mean I listen to it all and/or act on what they say. From a news/financial perspective I find it much more watchable than any of the other news outlets. When they start screaming at each other (Santelli) I just mute them.

Mostly it's on as background noise while doing other things.

It has always been amazing to me how people hammer away at shows/networks as unwatchable, disgusting, etc, etc. If you find them that appalling don't watch them or change the friggin channel.

If you are too swayed by what they are saying or don't have the intelligence to change the channel I might suggest that a TV is a very dangerous thing for you and that you ought to get rid of it before it leads to real danger!!

Santelli has some interesting views & guests on bond-market issues. I'm not a day trader, but some of the floor traders they interview often seem to have reasonable insights into near term market movements (e.g. hrs to days). Otherwise CNBC has become far too repetitive. Quality interviews of respected figures (financial & political) & meaningful investigative reports have become too few & far between.
Anyway-I never act on what I see/hear/read on these shows without doing my homework first.

I only turn CNBC on sometimes in the morning to have some background noise. ...

+1 and to see how the markets are doing and listen in if they have an interesting guest or perspective. I never "act" based on what they are talking about as I am a long term investor and not a trader.

Otherwise CNBC has become far too repetitive.

That is TV in general. I can usually watch 20 or 30 minutes of Bloomberg (on a rare occasion) before it starts to repeat.

I scan the financial news on the CNBC app every morning. But except for an occasional episode of American Greed, I don't watch CNBC.

I check in 1st thing in the morning just to see what Asia did and how Europe is doing but unless there's an important financial report I don't watch Squawk Box. I record Closing Bell. I used to record The Kudlow Report and while there was way too much politics I just FF through that, I miss TKR.

I'm looking for trends not advise especially about specific stocks. I hope the trends will give me some insight but it doesn't drive my overall investing. I have been using this info to get into and out of the S&P 500 index in my 401k and have made some decent money on the volatility. I know it is dirty stinking market timing but it's with a small amount of money that is a fun hobby for me.

I really like Rick Santelli, Joe Kernen and a few of the regular consultants. I hate Kramer and either mute or change the channel when he is on. He's a loud mouth with a lousy track record or another way to describe him is even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn.

I tried watching Fox Business when it came on and then on and off for a while but I didn't care for it. Maria's new show on Sunday doesn't seem to be interesting. I recorded the 3rd show this morning but I haven't watched it yet. The 1st was terrible, the 2nd had better content but I think I'll be deleting it from the DVR shortly. Market trends is my thing not interviews with corporate big wigs or business owners.

Back
Top Bottom