My Talking Head Confession

Yeah, it just wasn’t the same after Haines died and wasn’t on Squawk Box anymore. I still remember watching him anchor us through the 9/11 disaster. Still miss him.

This is exactly why I love this forum... The original topic didn't interest me - but the discussion and posting of lyrics and youtube videos is awesome!!!!

I watch a ton of CNBC...and I think Cramer is hilarious.

I treat it mostly as entertainment and some good thought stimulation, but it has zero impact on my AA or investing.

"This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
This ain't no Mudd Club, or C. B. G. B.,
I ain't got time for that now"

Love all these comments...

Few thoughts.....WSW was great....so old school and guests like John Templeton and Marty Zweig were awesome...

Re CNBC I'm not down on it as much as I used to be, but most of the guests have SUCH a myopic outlook so I'd never change my investment approach based on anything they say. I used to be a big fan of Josh Brown, but man he has become so emotional and panicky this year.

No cable or TV sub here, but I do watch Joe Kernan @0600est and the release of important data points usually at 0830. For those interested in CNBC access, simply open an Amertrade account and deposit a few bucks, download ThinkorSwim, and CNBC streams for free. ThinkorSwim is a nice platform. I don't trade, but have found the use of charts to be helpful in some of my decisions.

Schwab is in the process of acquiring Ameritrade so this may all change.

The only ones I really listened to at CNBC were the late Mark Haines and Ron Insana. Also when Becky Quick interviews Warren Buffet. The rest I watch for entertainment and not to find investment advice.

Take me to the river...

Thanks for the two paths down Memory Lane!

I used to watch Louis Rukeyser even though I had no investments (and nothing to invest) back then. Somehow I knew I should learn more about how the markets worked, and he seemed to be able to talk at my level without talking down to me.

I remember that 1987 clip well. I couldn't wait to turn on WSW and see what he was going to say that week.

I used to watch Louis Rukeyser even though I had no investments (and nothing to invest) back then. Somehow I knew I should learn more about how the markets worked, and he seemed to be able to talk at my level without talking down to me.

Same here. We were entertained at the same time we were learning something useful. He was the best.

Wall Street Week was where I fell truly, madly, deeply in love with Liz Ann Sonders. Brains and Beauty....all in one package.

And she hasn’t changed after all these years!

She and Marty Zweig were my favorite regular guests.

Varney on Fox Business for me. He brings in some good analysts with information from all angles.

I don't watch any of this, but I sure do miss Louis Rukeyser's Wall Street Week. Both informative and entertaining at the same time.

I used to love that show!

There is a modern equivalent on PBS, and I like that one, but it's nothing like Rukeyser's show.

I used to love that show!

There is a modern equivalent on PBS, and I like that one, but it's nothing like Rukeyser's show.

The Elves! Lewis always kept us up to date on the elves and their technical analysis of timing the market. Though I don’t think he had much faith in the little guy’s magical powers.

Last edited:
The Wisdom of money philosophers never ceases. Jim Cramer is fine entertainment. But the serious wrinkled faced intense true believers bowed at the feet of Jeffrey Skilling, Bernie Madoff, Bernard Ebbers, and Gordon Gekko. It is said Gordon Gekko was a composite of Dennis Levine, Ivan Boesky, Carl Icahn, Asher Edelman, and Michael Milken.

When I watch talking heads spout their opinions, forecasts, and brilliant analysis I wonder who is the "Oz" behind it all. After all, they get paid salaries just like everyone else. They have bosses and network execs. who operate the strings like a puppet master.

I trust Rodney Dangerfield more.

In his first scene in Caddyshack he hollers into a primitive cell phone to his broker to "SELL" his broker responds that everyone is selling. Rodney says " Then BUY, BUY, BUY!"

Bet Rodney was right now 40 years later.

Back
Top Bottom