My Talking Head Confession

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
Many here I've seen - don't watch the talking heads on TV and I too try to avoid them. Cool graphs and tickers and hype - I just don't feel it's business, I don't feel it's investing. (My usual disclosure: Novice here. Avoided stocks and paper assets all my life, now early retirement sort of makes it a need)

Also anything I say is just my opinion - not saying someone is good nor bad.

Anyhow- Cramer on CNBC. I watch him 2-3 times a week not for advice - but moreso to see what he's telling people to do and thing and yeah, I find him humorous. I do NOT act on what he says. He knows way more than me BUT....to me it just seems that almost every time it's "HEY YEAH! CEO IS A GOOD GUY!!!". Then he'll interview CEOs and while it's good to see their posture, the whites of their eyes, etc..... the interview is "Mr CEO....did you go to the bathroom last night? Tell our audience, it was a #2 right? And now..... Mr CEO tell the audience how you wiped from back to front. WOW!!!! audience did you hear? He went back to front! Buy buy buy!!! It's almost like the darn thing is pre-scripted.

Frankly I get nervous if Cramer suggests something I'm into - recently he got on COKE and PROCTOR I just had to ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

Also on CNBC they'll interview someone who is giving his market outlook etc and CNBC puts up what the guy says BEFORE HE SAYS IT. I watch and say. hmmmmmm how did they know he's gonna say "buy industrials" before he actually said it? How did they put that graphic and bullet points up?

BUT..... I love Halftime Report on CNBC. Judge Wapner the host - keeps the guests in line and on topic and accountable. People get called on the carpet for mistakes, lauded for good calls. There's light skirmishes - but in name of debate, not scoring cheap points. Yeah, doesn't hurt that a few of the lady contributors are both accomplished and photogenic. I don't have a 'favorite' panelist - I love the combo they bring

Josh Brown - I feel he 'falls in love' a bit much - but I like him.

Jim Lebenthal - solid...has basis for what he says.

Jenny Harrington - like her. Her thing is people who want to preserve wealth and collect 5% dividends. On some of her calls she's been early - but some have been good. Sometimes she'll say 'I talked to management, they say dividend is fine and things are on track'- - I admit, that counts for me.

Stephanie Link - very strict on P/E, earnings growth, etc. I like it.

Back to the host 'Judge" Wapner - even when he has some high level guy from one of the big investment houses on - he does respectfully - hold them accountable too and doesn't suck up and give easy questions.

I would say that combining those 4 together -- - it does give me a slight direction on how I want to proceed with things.

So yeah, there's a few talking heads I listen to.

Anyhow, if you read this far, apologies for the 60 seconds of life I borrowed from your day :)

That is about as much 'Electronic Ink' as ever has been spent on Cramer.

I find him very difficult to understand. I can only pick up every third or fourth word he utters -- and I count that as a blessing. I hit the mute button when he comes on in the morning. The charts are interesting, but not his accompanying babble. And I never watch his post-market shtick.

I watch the Halftime Report with Scott Wapner and the Panel. Now that's informative. The last half-hour of trading is a good watch also.

My pet peeve on CNBC is how they FLASH their charts up on the screen for maybe 4 seconds. They'll put up a chart comparing 4 graphs of similar companies......and it was on screen for less than 5 seconds. If anybody can digest all the info in those charts, I'd like to shake their hand.

I miss Mark Haines.

I don't watch any of this, but I sure do miss Louis Rukeyser's Wall Street Week. Both informative and entertaining at the same time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.35.12 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.35.12 AM.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 66
Oh yeah my parents always tuned in to WSW - but that was it. 30 mins, once a week. Anything else? I'm retired, why on earth would I want to trade the aggravation of the workplace with the aggravation of carnival barkers?

These TV guys are there for entertainment and ratings, not to actually get you rich.

Regarding the printed remarks onscreen before the interviewee says them: maybe the interviews are not live. I haven't seen CNBC for about 15 years and I can't recall. When I worked in NYC, they had CNBC on at the gym so you could watch while running on the treadmill. No sound though.

I do think one should keep in mind that the people who appear on those interviews are often "talking their book" rather than trying to give you useful advice.

I will occasionally watch Cramer when in "channel surf" mode for a few minutes, for the entertainment, not the information. :)

I do agree than the guests on these financial shows are ultimately "selling" something as their primary purpose.

When I do try to closely listen, all I seem to hear them saying is "I feel strongly that things will go in Direction X. But then, there is always something that might pop up so that things end up in Direction Y". In other words, a wordy way to say "I don't have a clue, but I will try to look clairvoyant". :)

And you may ask yourself... why did the market go down?
And you may yourself... why did the market go up?
And you may tell yourself... what does anyone know??
And you may tell yourself... I should stick to I-Bonds!

As the days go by, money flowing all around...
:D

I don't watch these, or other, talking heads. But I have no respect for Jim Cramer, after I did see one interview he had with Elizabeth Holmes (of the Theranos debacle). He asked her a straightforward question, and she gave a BS gobbledygook word salad answer. He didn't pursue it further, or point out how she didn't answer the question, and basically just let her give her selling points.
Why on Earth I would trust him for investment advice?

I don't watch these, or other, talking heads. But I have no respect for Jim Cramer, after I did see one interview he had with Elizabeth Holmes (of the Theranos debacle). He asked her a straightforward question, and she gave a BS gobbledygook word salad answer. He didn't pursue it further, or point out how she didn't answer the question, and basically just let her give her selling points.

As I have heard from some folks, you just trade opposite of what he recommends and you'll be right a good 85% of the time. :LOL:

Haven’t watched CNBC for so many years now - 10? - and what a relief!

Wall Street Week was great. And a 30 minute review at the end of each week is way more than enough. Rukeyser had great guests too!

Yeah, just one of the many reasons not to pay attention to Cramer. Anyone who jumps around, shouting, turning red in the face, trying to make me think he has some special insight into a particular stock/investment goes right onto my IGNORE list. The fact that he didn't push back harder on Elizabeth Holmes is not surprising in the least, as almost nobody else in financial media did back then, either.

The quality of your life will improve if you stop watching this.

Even more so if you stop watching TV.

Wall Street Week was fantastic. Miss it.

I used to like Nightly Business Report, especially in the Paul Kangas era (RIP).

There really is nothing like those now AFAIK.

I do enjoy Cramer, but more for Off the Charts. I am not a chartist but like the perspective. And he has some good nuggets from time to time. But he has been horrendous this summer on market direction.

i should try Kudlow now that he is back

Back
Top Bottom