Yet still another rebalancing thread: spreadsheet or website?

Nords: I appreciate the reply.
Did you sell the old (assuming cheaper) shares or more expensive shares (of Berkshire)?
How'd you pick that particular Small Cap Value Index? Seems like there's a dozen to choose from.
We sold the most expensive "B" shares (least capital gains) and our cost basis is now $2164/share. We took a deep breath and nailed some nice ones during July 2002 at $2045/share.

It was a lot easier five years ago when index ETFs were relatively new. We chose the S&P600 small-cap value because it was a lower turnover, only 0.25%, and was reconstituted less frequently. At the time the Russell small-cap indexes used to announce their reconstitutions way in advance, leading to a lot of front-running and reducing their returns. But there may be better indices these days.

Of course now Vanguard has entered the fray, but I haven't done the math on their lower ER vs the cap gains taxes.

Actually, I'm just envious of having something to rebalance. Right now I just have VG Total Stock Mkt Index.
I think never having to rebalance might be an even better deal, and you might have found it!

Actually we prefer an international and small-cap tilt to our portfolio (because I have a military COLA'd pension) so hopefully we'll be rebalancing every 5-10 years.

Or you could just buy Berkshire and let it grow to 65% of your portfolio before you rebalance it. That worked for our kid's college fund but I wouldn't recommend repeating that little [-]stroke of luck[/-] tactic.

Back
Top Bottom