2 separate things:1.1970s Match Game 2. Elvis

Digger1000

Recycles dryer sheets
Is it ok if I post this in this forum? Please?

I grew up without a tv. But everytime I went to the barber as a kid, Match Game was on the tv. Nothing says 1970s more than Match Game. For the past 6 weeks I've been watching it on GSN, they have 2 episodes 5 days a week. I just adore the 1970s. Right now its Match Game 75 and I'm loving it. I love living in the 70s. The 5k round would be 25k today.

Now about Elvis. This involves my trips to the barber as well. The 1st time I ever heard of Elvis was the day after he died at the barbershop. It was all over the tv of course,the newspapers lying there, and it was all everybody was talking about. I was 11. I was raised by my Mennonite(not Amish) Grandparents who were born in 1907 and 1916 and like I said earlier we didnt have a tv. I could tell you the Cardinals batting order though from listening just about everyday to the Cardinals games on the radio.

Last edited:
I remember Match Game as a child, too. It’s amazing watching the show now how tipsy the stars really were and hearing all of the double entendres. Match Game is also available on Amazon Prime right now in case you want to see more that two a day.

Ah, the 70s. Where you could find smokers EVERYWHERE. Those were the days. ;)

But, I enjoy watching the old game shows on GSN...it does bring back some fond memories.

I didn't watch Match Game as a kid, but I remember finding the old reruns on the Game Show network, around the late 1990's or early 2000's, or whenever they started becoming fashionable. They are a kick to watch. I seem to remember Brett Sommers and Charles Nelson Riley taking playful jabs at each other, and that was always fun.

I'll admit, I do miss the 70's sometimes, but it's probably because I was a kid, and didn't have any real cares or responsibilities in the world. And it's weird, but I can remember my Dad taking me to see "Smokey and the Bandit" in the theater vividly, just like it was yesterday.

There's an online version, no? I remember vaguely playing it a long while back. It might have been one of those freebies that came with the early IBM-PCs.

-BB

Sometime in the last 5 years I saw a couple of episodes of The Match Game I hadn't remembered it quite right.

Elvis died August 16, 1977. DW and I moved to Memphis in February, 1978 for a few months while I was in school. Interesting place, we were very poor and didn't live in the best area. DW worked for an apartment finding agency, only odd thing was the landlords weren't involved. This place just relisted rentals and charged people fees like it was a legitimate agency. This led to frequent issues with a POed client demanding their fees back and the women being sent to the locked back room for safety. [emoji16]

I do have some fond memories, perhaps because the liquor laws weren't strictly enforced.

Last edited:
I think this show was one of the first times I realized was getting old and going to someday die, (e.g. when Match Game 74 switch to Match Game 75). It must have been pretty traumatic to stick with me all these years.:LOL:

Is it ok if I post this in this forum? Please?

I grew up without a tv. But everytime I went to the barber as a kid, Match Game was on the tv. Nothing says 1970s more than Match Game. For the past 6 weeks I've been watching it on GSN, they have 2 episodes 5 days a week. I just adore the 1970s. Right now its Match Game 75 and I'm loving it. I love living in the 70s. The 5k round would be 25k today.

Now about Elvis. This involves my trips to the barber as well. The 1st time I ever heard of Elvis was the day after he died at the barbershop. It was all over the tv of course,the newspapers lying there, and it was all everybody was talking about. I was 11. I was raised by my Mennonite(not Amish) Grandparents who were born in 1907 and 1916 and like I said earlier we didnt have a tv. I could tell you the Cardinals batting order though from listening just about everyday to the Cardinals games on the radio.

if you want to binge on Match Game the other game show network is Buzzr. MG is on there almost constantly during weekdays. Bizzr is also on select over-the-air channels as well as DISH and Comcast.

All of the 70's game shows were fun. MatchGame was a riot.

Ahh, Elvis! Loved him then, love him now. He did have a sad life, seems he was always looking for approval, missed his mama terribly. His voice was incredible.

Back
Top Bottom