Alarm clock issues...

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have used a battery operated clock for years. Perfect since I worked split 12 hour shifts, alarm set at 530, no worry about AM or PM. So last night made plans to meet my old co-workers for breakfast this morning, catching both shifts. Go to turn the alarm on... and had to pick the dang thing up and look it over.... forgot how to turn the alarm on.....:facepalm: :LOL:

How do you set an alarm? What's an alarm clock? Your two are living my dream.

I think the last time we used our alarm clock was to catch an early flight to Florida in January 2020.

I use my phone as an alarm clock, very easy and since I take it with me, we have it when traveling.

I do set my alarm for 8:30 am , when it rings, I turn it off and sometimes fall back asleep!

It's handy to know how to use it, as when going on a trip, we don't want to miss the flight, etc..

I sure don't want to learn the alarm setting in each hotel room, often just unplug them as some joker might set it for 3am before me :eek:

yeah flights are the only thing for me, but I use my phone

I don't understand this thread. Is the point that you NEVER have anything to NEED to wake up for in retirement or using an old fashioned alarm clock (vs. an iphone or an Alexa as an alarm) is a thing of the past (which is what I thought the point was)?

s. ... forgot how to turn the alarm on.....:facepalm: :LOL:

That's funny! and good for you, retirement is doing its thing--relax, de stress, and have fun when you can!

I like using Alexa for my morning alarm on the days I have an early morning tee time, easy to configure and it includes a weather report for the day.

I like using Alexa for my morning alarm on the days I have an early morning tee time, easy to configure and it includes a weather report for the day.

Same here. Alexa - set the alarm for 7am. “Okay. Alarm set for 7am.”

Then, the thing I really like is that the alarm starts off real soft and gets louder. I don’t need much to wake me up so that is a nice feature. Then I tell Alexa to turn of pdf the alarm and she says something stupid like “raise and shine” and then tells me the weather. Nice. I’m just grateful that the alarm is used very infrequently these days.

I suppose I could live a lifestyle never having to wake up early for the rest of my life. But that would be terribly inconvenient. I like to golf early...7:00 AM for example instead of 10:00 AM. If it's going to be hot and I have some outside work planned I'd rather get up early and quit early.

I don't understand this thread. Is the point that you NEVER have anything to NEED to wake up for in retirement or using an old fashioned alarm clock

Its meant to be funny... the fact I haven't set the alarm in so long I forgot where the switch was. But the sorry part is I woke up before the alarm went off..

I have used a battery operated clock for years. Perfect since I worked split 12 hour shifts, alarm set at 530, no worry about AM or PM. So last night made plans to meet my old co-workers for breakfast this morning, catching both shifts. Go to turn the alarm on... and had to pick the dang thing up and look it over.... forgot how to turn the alarm on.....:facepalm: :LOL:

Wow - a GREAT problem to have! :LOL:

That's alarming.... Simply alarming....:)

What's an alarm clock?

I think it's one of those things that lets you know if you have a power failure... it blinks if you do... then you can just unplug it... some microwaves will function like that but you don't have to unplug them

Haven't set one for some time... but unfortunately I still remember how to...even though I've been retired for many years. Last time was prior to needing to get surgery...needed to get there early in the morning; otherwise, only need one for getting to airport for an early flight, but due to Covid, haven't done that for a few years

You guys all clearly worked in the wrong jobs--I haven't needed an alarm to get up for work in about 20 years, unless there was some crazy early meeting, which is very uncommon in this line of work. And DH worked the evening shift, so no alarm for him either.

Waking up naturally between 8 and 9:30 99% of the time has probably added years to my life. :)

(Yes, no kids either. Just cats walking across me wanting to be fed.)

Still got an alarm clock. Only DW ever uses it as she'll take a Dr. appt. before 11:00AM.

I have 3 cats that let me know that it is time to get up. :D My old alarm clock has illuminated numbers so I can double check to make sure they are not too early. I am not sure anymore what the alarm sounds like but I can tell you what a hungry and POd cat sounds like.
What is Alexa? Does she come dressed in a French maid outfit to wake you up?

Cheers!

I have 3 cats that let me know that it is time to get up. :D My old alarm clock has illuminated numbers so I can double check to make sure they are not too early. I am not sure anymore what the alarm sounds like but I can tell you what a hungry and POd cat sounds like.
What is Alexa? Does she come dressed in a French maid outfit to wake you up?

Cheers!

My cat, The Princess Ramona, also has a special call to alert her servants when it is time to attend her.

I still have my trusty alarm clock in my nightstand. No need for a regular alarm anymore but we still do plenty of stuff that requires an early morning. We're both up by 7 am anyway so I guess we're morning people.

Next week we need to get up at 4:30 am to catch an early flight, for example. I could use my phone and once this alarm clock dies I doubt I'll replace it but until that day I guess I'll keep using it.

My alarm app is set at 6:30, to a pleasant sound of birds chirping. I’m always awake before then anyway. Of course the birds outside start their chatter at 4:30AM. The purpose of the alarm is just to let me know what the time is.

Back
Top Bottom