Another Florida Question - Retirement location

I was raised in New England, this reminds me of what we called cabin fever. I am finding cabin fever here as well - hiding out in the AC - have had a couple instances of heat exhaustion in the past month. Not good.

I was raised in New England, this reminds me of what we called cabin fever. I am finding cabin fever here as well - hiding out in the AC - have had a couple instances of heat exhaustion in the past month. Not good.

I grew up in the South on the Gulf Coast. There is a huge difference in how the air feels on the coast vs inland. The breezes make it much more comfortable, even with high temps and high humidity.

When I lived in S. FL, this time right now (late Aug, early Sept) caused me mild depression. This is because the weather just won't break. Still hot and humid, always hot and humid. This is especially true south of Lake Okeechobee.

It is still pretty hot here in NC, but we've already had at least one good break from the humidity.

I just consider the Florida heat like winter up north. It is longer lasting, and you have to be inside. The upside of the "bad" season of heat in FL is at least you have sunlight. Northern cold season coincides with darkness, which also causes depression.

It has been wicked hot in Central Florida this year so you definitely got to test an extreme year.

Central Florida is always wicked hot. That is why we chose to live close to the coast (N.E. Coast in our case). We do get a break, but at almost double the cost of inland Florida. Unfortunately, some are being priced out of the more desirable beach towns.

Last edited:
I just consider the Florida heat like winter up north. It is longer lasting, and you have to be inside. The upside of the "bad" season of heat in FL is at least you have sunlight. Northern cold season coincides with darkness, which also causes depression.

This is exactly it!

Summer is our "winter." I do get tired of it at some point.... it's usually like a switch goes off.. usually between August and September but have had early and later years. As August ends, I'm about over the humidity for this year!

I'm pretty active and outside but once I shower I'm pretty much housebound for the day as I'm done sweating. I get the reverse seasonal affective disorder thing, I do get some summer funk when I want to go out but don't want to get gross but not nearly as bad as winter blues elsewhere when its dark and cold and grey day after day.

But, cold in the north sucks.... It's a lot easier to walk out the door to bike/run in the heat than stinging cold. I've started day dreaming of being a "sun bird" and traveling north from July-Sept.

Now that I have a pool, my S. Fla afternoons are spent lazing in it, reading and cooling off from whatever else I did. I don't mind gardening in the heat of the day knowing I can jump in any time.

And this summer, till now, has been remarkably dry, bad for the grass, but great for not having to go inside and avoid T-storms at 3pm every single day.

And this summer, till now, has been remarkably dry, bad for the grass, but great for not having to go inside and avoid T-storms at 3pm every single day.

Been the reverse for us on N.E. Fla. Lots more rain in the afternoons this year, at least it seems that way.

When I lived in S. FL, this time right now (late Aug, early Sept) caused me mild depression. This is because the weather just won't break. Still hot and humid, always hot and humid. This is especially true south of Lake Okeechobee.

It is still pretty hot here in NC, but we've already had at least one good break from the humidity.

Kind of all relative. I play Pickleball 6x outdoors weekly in the summer from 8am to 1pm, as the heat index hits 100 by that time.
Never stay inside just due to the heat and will do outside errands as necessary at any time of the day.
Yes, would love for it to be cooler, but it is part of accepting full time living in FLA.

Now that I have a pool, my S. Fla afternoons are spent lazing in it, reading and cooling off from whatever else I did. I don't mind gardening in the heat of the day knowing I can jump in any time.

And this summer, till now, has been remarkably dry, bad for the grass, but great for not having to go inside and-storms at 3pm every single day.

———————————

I bought a house on the water in South Florida and absolutely love it. I too enjoy the regular dips in my pool as well as growing orchids in the backyard, but I can see how this lifestyle isn’t for everyone. Aerides, i couldn’t help notice in your profile that you spend some of your time down here “killing dragons”. Hopefully, it’s not my backyard buddies -

96D441DC-F3B1-49E9-A4A5-A4F281845267.jpg

95591734-F64F-41D2-B1BC-A96FA7025493.jpg

PHP:
[PHP][TABLE]
[TR][TD][QUOTE][PHP][-][TABLE][/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE][/-]
[/QUOTE][/TABLE][/PHP][/PHP]

Carbona,
Whatever we have going on that day at our SWFL place, we typically have time for some relaxation at the pool in the late afternoon.
Just before happy hour, and making a nice dinner.
Keep enjoying it.
I like the dragons too.
JP

Back
Top Bottom