Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have zero interest in The Villages and zero interest in Florida.

That certainly does not imply that we are bashing Florida. It simply implies that there are several other places higher up on our list.

We have visited Florida numerous times and travelled throughout the state. I expect we will visit again at some point. We simply have no desire to live there full time or even in the winter.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Florida isn't perfect, but it will always hold a place in my heart.

A trend I find sad on this ER board is people using threads to bash.

I don't find "Florida Man" funny either. It is an internet meme with discriminatory motivations behind it designed to build negative chatter that gets into the daily conversation.
Well, as a FL resident, I think the Florida Man meme is pretty on point. I seldom watch the news when I'm up north, but love watching it down in SWFL. They do a lot more local stuff, and much of it is both/either bizarre or hilarious. I don't know why, but there much be something in the water down there. That's why I stick to beer and bourbon.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
... I don't find "Florida Man" funny either. It is an internet meme with discriminatory motivations behind it designed to build negative chatter that gets into the daily conversation.
Florida sunshine laws (freedom of information act) make it relatively easy for information about these stories to become public. Plenty of idiots elsewhere but their stories don't become public knowledge.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:45 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Florida sunshine laws (freedom of information act) make it relatively easy for information about these stories to become public. Plenty of idiots elsewhere but their stories don't become public knowledge.
Ah you hit on the main reason for this type of frequent news.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:46 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Ah you hit on the main reason for this type of frequent news.
Exactly. Population is a big factor too.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still a rookie Floridian, but I'm working on it. My new local beer of choice.

20201027_181249.jpeg
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:55 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Florida Man and Woman make me laugh, too...when they aren't downright tragic. It helps make up for the general stodginess and conservatism of the large Old population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, as a FL resident, I think the Florida Man meme is pretty on point. I seldom watch the news when I'm up north, but love watching it down in SWFL. They do a lot more local stuff, and much of it is both/either bizarre or hilarious. I don't know why, but there much be something in the water down there. That's why I stick to beer and bourbon.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Since we've lightened up the mood here, I have a story.

A friend of ours had a slight disagreement with a local service company, really nothing serious. He eventually ended up calling a TV station, and was featured in two segments. The TV reporter referred to him as a "Raleigh Man."

His wife thought this was the funniest thing she ever heard and started calling him "Raleigh Man."

Oh, the ways we get our nicknames.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #169
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I grew up in New Jersey, so have a tough hide when it comes to having one's state bashed.
My hide is adequately tough. I don't care if others like or dislike where I live. I'd actually prefer if fewer people liked it to minimize the population growth. This time of year, while millions are buried under large snowfalls and making good use of their snow shovels, I prefer to operate my sun shovel. : )

I just don't understand why folks feel the need to pile on with complaints about any topic where it is just a matter of opinion, whether the topic is Florida or anything else. There is wayyyyy too much negativity in the world today.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I'm actually glad that there are so many posters that dislike Florida... it's crowded enough here as it is.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:45 AM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Zero interest in The Villages. Zero interest in Florida.
Uh...thanks for posting? I guess?
Paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We have zero interest in The Villages and zero interest in Florida.
Is that accurate? You had enough interest to join the thread and even to post. That's not zero interest.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #173

Our interest is in place to visit in Florida or to rent for a month or so. Not permanent, not all winter as it were.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #174

Our interest is in places to visit in Florida or to rent for a month or so. No interest in moving to, buying, or snowbirding in Florida on a permanent or even an annual basis.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw the the docudrama. Was great in that it wasn't trying to sell anything....it wasn't slick at all, thank god.....just profiling the lives of some residents who are struggling....it was a character study....not intending to portray a typical scenario. I love these smaller slices of life.
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote