Another Florida Question - Retirement location

I saw the trailer, which looked hilarious. They found some old duffer, who lives in his van and trolls the Villages clubhouses looking for a sugar momma.

Anyone Seen the Documentary "Some Kind of Heaven" about the Villages?
?

Zero interest in The Villages. Zero interest in Florida.

If you want work done on your home the salesman will speak English. At times the crews that get sent to your home speak little to no English. Learn Spanish. It will help you in situations.

Florida isn't perfect, but it will always hold a place in my heart.

A trend I find sad on this ER board is people using threads to bash.

I don't find "Florida Man" funny either. It is an internet meme with discriminatory motivations behind it designed to build negative chatter that gets into the daily conversation.

I tend to agree. If a thread is asking about tips about Florida,( or anywhere else for that matter) why would anyone post "I'd never set foot in Florida"? or something like that.

We love our location in Florida, we simply do not listen to the Florida Naysayers. All we can say is that like anywhere, you get what you pay for. Location, Location, Location.

Like all location some are desirable, others are not. The difference could be 2 miles or 200 miles. You need to visit your preferred location(s) and have a good look around and talk to the people. We have our likes and dislikes. But then I personally believe we are entitled to them as we have travelled extensively in Florida looking for a suitable place (For us) to live.

Sites like this are open to anyone's "Opinions" some biased, some educated others simply perceived. The good news is Florida is VERY drivable, Hotels are plentiful and reasonably priced.

We love our location in Florida, we simply do not listen to the Florida Naysayers. All we can say is that like anywhere, you get what you pay for. Location, Location, Location.

Like all location some are desirable, others are not. The difference could be 2 miles or 200 miles. You need to visit your preferred location(s) and have a good look around and talk to the people. We have our likes and dislikes. But then I personally believe we are entitled to them as we have travelled extensively in Florida looking for a suitable place (For us) to live.

Sites like this are open to anyone's "Opinions" some biased, some educated others simply perceived. The good news is Florida is VERY drivable, Hotels are plentiful and reasonably priced.

Amen. DGF and I love Florida.
Just got back an hour ago from another exhausting day of Pickleball in 70 degree weather. Sigh.....

Amen. DGF and I love Florida.
Just got back an hour ago from another exhausting day of Pickleball in 70 degree weather. Sigh.....

brrr chilly day

I tend to agree. If a thread is asking about tips about Florida,( or anywhere else for that matter) why would anyone post "I'd never set foot in Florida"? or something like that.

+1

I read more people bashing Florida than any other state. Why bother? We can pick any location in the world and some folks will like it and other folks will not. If you don't like a place, wherever it is, then please stay away.

The old rule still applies. Say something nice, or at least respectfully, or just say nothing.

Be kind whenever possible. It is ALWAYS possible.

We have zero interest in The Villages and zero interest in Florida.

That certainly does not imply that we are bashing Florida. It simply implies that there are several other places higher up on our list.

We have visited Florida numerous times and travelled throughout the state. I expect we will visit again at some point. We simply have no desire to live there full time or even in the winter.

Florida isn't perfect, but it will always hold a place in my heart.

I don't find "Florida Man" funny either. It is an internet meme with discriminatory motivations behind it designed to build negative chatter that gets into the daily conversation.

Well, as a FL resident, I think the Florida Man meme is pretty on point. I seldom watch the news when I'm up north, but love watching it down in SWFL. They do a lot more local stuff, and much of it is both/either bizarre or hilarious. I don't know why, but there much be something in the water down there. That's why I stick to beer and bourbon.

... I don't find "Florida Man" funny either. It is an internet meme with discriminatory motivations behind it designed to build negative chatter that gets into the daily conversation.

Florida sunshine laws (freedom of information act) make it relatively easy for information about these stories to become public. Plenty of idiots elsewhere but their stories don't become public knowledge.

Florida sunshine laws (freedom of information act) make it relatively easy for information about these stories to become public. Plenty of idiots elsewhere but their stories don't become public knowledge.

Ah you hit on the main reason for this type of frequent news.

I'm still a rookie Floridian, but I'm working on it. My new local beer of choice.

20201027_181249.jpeg

Florida Man and Woman make me laugh, too...when they aren't downright tragic. It helps make up for the general stodginess and conservatism of the large Old population.

Well, as a FL resident, I think the Florida Man meme is pretty on point. I seldom watch the news when I'm up north, but love watching it down in SWFL. They do a lot more local stuff, and much of it is both/either bizarre or hilarious. I don't know why, but there much be something in the water down there. That's why I stick to beer and bourbon.

Since we've lightened up the mood here, I have a story. :)

A friend of ours had a slight disagreement with a local service company, really nothing serious. He eventually ended up calling a TV station, and was featured in two segments. The TV reporter referred to him as a "Raleigh Man."

His wife thought this was the funniest thing she ever heard and started calling him "Raleigh Man."

Oh, the ways we get our nicknames.

Last edited:
I grew up in New Jersey, so have a tough hide when it comes to having one's state bashed.
:LOL:

My hide is adequately tough. I don't care if others like or dislike where I live. I'd actually prefer if fewer people liked it to minimize the population growth. This time of year, while millions are buried under large snowfalls and making good use of their snow shovels, I prefer to operate my sun shovel. : )

I just don't understand why folks feel the need to pile on with complaints about any topic where it is just a matter of opinion, whether the topic is Florida or anything else. There is wayyyyy too much negativity in the world today.

I'm actually glad that there are so many posters that dislike Florida... it's crowded enough here as it is.

We have zero interest in The Villages and zero interest in Florida.

Is that accurate? You had enough interest to join the thread and even to post. That's not zero interest.

Our interest is in place to visit in Florida or to rent for a month or so. Not permanent, not all winter as it were.

Our interest is in places to visit in Florida or to rent for a month or so. No interest in moving to, buying, or snowbirding in Florida on a permanent or even an annual basis.

I saw the the docudrama. Was great in that it wasn't trying to sell anything....it wasn't slick at all, thank god.....just profiling the lives of some residents who are struggling....it was a character study....not intending to portray a typical scenario. I love these smaller slices of life.

Back
Top Bottom