Any Interest in Videogames Here?

There is a significant chance we are all actually in a giant video game/simulation right now. I think some say it is more likely than not.

Another World of Warcraft player here. I started playing about 12 years ago (early in Burning Crusade). I raided for a number of years but am a bit more casual now but still play regularly. I've played Diablo in the past but am not currently playing it. I also played Final Fantasy some (a couple of versions) but not lately.

I recently bought Tetris Effect for the PS4 and am enjoying that.

The other game I play a lot is the online card game Hearthstone. I probably play it more than WoW nowadays. I've played a little Magic the Gathering but really only dabbled in it.

Avid gamer here. Right now I am on a big sports game kick. I have been spending a lot of time with NCAA Football '14 on my Xbox 360 (shame they dont make this game anymore even tho I understand why they dont).

My favorite series of all time is the Mass Effect trilogy. Highly recommended to anyone who likes sci-fi and Western RPGs.

I am also grinding my way through Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. JRPGs aren't my favorite genre anymore like they were growing up, but this is one I feel I have to play based on its influence. I'm close to wrapping it up and then plan to work through some shorter stuff in my backlog.

Gaming is my number one hobby and I plan to spend a lot of time on it when I eventually retire.

I also plan to pick up Days Gone on a sale. Looks like it is right up my alley.

Keep playing those video games folks, you are my backup plan in old age. In 2013 our daughter at age 32 left Big Blue to become a software engineer in the video games industry and within 5 years had over $1M in investable assets. She is “just” an employee, not even a manager, which is how she likes it. When we paid for her to go to an out of State university I told her that we were investing in all our futures. :)

Does she have to work really long hours? My impression of video game software companies is they try to keep programmers chained to the desk with free food, etc.

Used to. Started with 8-bit Atari playing Ultima IV, Star Raiders, Miner 2049er, and many others. Later on the PC it was a bunch of stuff, but mainly X-Wing, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, etc., culminating in Battlefield 2. With the multiplayer stuff I finally got tired of the asshats online. The old games don't work on the newer PCs or the servers are dead, and I've switched to Mac and feel too cheap to sink a few bucks into a game I don't know if I'll like or not. OTOH, I'm spending a lot of time crushing candies and playing cards, which I really like.

Used to play a lot for a short time many years ago with Pacman, etc. Mastered some games, but not interested now. Perhaps when I can't play Pickleball as much, might feel differently.

Nobody here played Everquest? I don't even want to know how many hours I spent playing that game....

Mostly strategy and wargames here - generally solo.

I'm currently beta testing an upcoming historical strategy game, so that is kind of fun.

been playing xbox one since it came out and still have original console. halo and tomb raider and call of duty series (have not played last release due to not much single player?) are favs. currently playing GTA5 that I am finding somewhat boring. any suggestions on games like in my fav? mid 60's BTW...I play to pass time and keep sharp as some of these games require some strategy to solve missions.

I don't play regularly now, but when I do I am not crazy about most FPS games, I prefer games that are more story- and puzzle-driven than arcade-style. I really love the Portal, Sam & Max, and Borderlands series.

been playing xbox one since it came out and still have original console. halo and tomb raider and call of duty series (have not played last release due to not much single player?) are favs. currently playing GTA5 that I am finding somewhat boring. any suggestions on games like in my fav? mid 60's BTW...I play to pass time and keep sharp as some of these games require some strategy to solve missions.

You might check out the PS4's catalog, if you haven't already. They have put out a string of really excellent exclusive games in the past few years. The remastered Uncharted trilogy, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us remastered, Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone ... I'm sure you'd enjoy at least several of those games.

My favorite series of all time is the Mass Effect trilogy. Highly recommended to anyone who likes sci-fi and Western RPGs.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Mass Effect trilogy, too. It was like playing through a good space opera. Shame what is happening to Bioware lately; they're a shadow of their former selves.

Last edited:
Played World of Warcraft since release but most of the time I play the new versions for 1-2 months to get to max level and then unsubscribe again since I don't do hardcore raiding or PvP.

I do like open world games on my Xbox but do play some FPS as well. Normally play 1-4 year old games to save money. Don't play any that require multiplayer. Really loved Witcher 3. Other games include Far Cry 3-5, Dragon Age Origins/Inquisition, Fallout series, Red Dead Redemption.

Does she have to work really long hours? My impression of video game software companies is they try to keep programmers chained to the desk with free food, etc.

The exact opposite. She initially worked for a company in the Seattle area then switched to one in California. With both companies she has had no fixed hours or vacation allowance and absolutely loves the work arrangements, much more flexible and easier to cope with than when she worked at IBM, which she did for 9 years. They do provide free food, great on site restaurant and cafe etc.

Her routine is to leave home at about 9:30, walk 10 minutes to the train station, 10 minute ride on the train towards Santa Monica, 5 minutes walk to work. She works usually until about 6:30. Most of her workmates arrive between 10 and 11 and work until 7 or 8 in the evening. If she has stuff to do at home, contractors to meet etc then she simply works from home. Long hours only happen in the run up to major releases of the software.

She is still absolutely loving her job, and that is plainly obvious every time we see her. She usually Skype's each Saturday or Sunday morning as we are 8 hours ahead of LA.

Last edited:
I never got past Pac Man, Space Invaders and Donkey Kong :blush:.

Though have crushed a few Asteroids back in the day :).

Now I mostly play chess and Links golf on the PC, though I have played (and enjoyed) Diablo II and Path Of Exile in the past. On (I think) PS4, I've been playing a little BlazBlue and Guilty Gear with my son.

I hard modded mine and still enjoy playing a few of the classics halo GTA vice city need for speed from time to time on my 114" movie screen :)

The early 80s arcades were where my interest was peeked.

Same here, starting with Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, and Q-Bert, the last of which I played a few 6-hour-plus games on one quarter.

Last edited:
We used to play games on the computer even before video game technology had become a thing. No surprise our children took to it so readily and that our daughter made a career out of it. Here she is playing a game back in 1982.

Attachments

• 073F45F8-71F6-4156-AA01-A8F5345EACD3.jpeg
    073F45F8-71F6-4156-AA01-A8F5345EACD3.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 20
We used to play games on the computer even before video game technology had become a thing. No surprise our children took to it so readily and that our daughter made a career out of it. Here she is playing a game back in 1982.

On a Commodore PET?

Thanks for all the responses, folks (OP here). I'm glad to see this much interest in videogames on a forum with an older population. Most people my age seem pretty clueless about videogames. There's still a lot of prejudice around it, in my age bracket. The press is lousy, too -- videogames get blamed for everything, despite lack of evidence, and there is hardly ever a positive news story about them (they're there, though ... cognitive benefits, for example).

I don't watch any TV or any movies, so videogames are my main form of light entertainment. I think it's better than watching TV, news, sports, or movies. It demands active participation, not just passive consumption. Assuming you have some skills, it produces states of flow/engagement that TV and movies cannot. As long as you don't go overboard with it, it can be a lot of fun.

Sounds like we all have pretty divergent tastes, with most of us playing on PC. I've always been a console gamer myself.

Here is a documentary about Shirley Curry, a grandma who plays Skyrim and has a big following online. It's a nice, feel-good story:

https://youtu.be/pxoXrc8pwx0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom