Any Interest in Videogames Here?

Lifelong gamer here. Started with pong in the early 70's and never looked back. As a retiree now, I spend about 20 hours per week when I play. But after I finish a game, I rest a month or so and catch up on sci-fi books. For about 5 years, I was into Halo, playing with my son and co-workers on line. I travel in an RV around the US now so don't always have decent online connection, so I go through games. Love sci-fi oriented games, especially post-apocalyptic. Not much into fantasy like Sky Rim but I've played it some. Borderlands, Bio Shock, Half-Life, Doom...games like that. Currently in the middle of a game called Rage. So far, my all time favorite is probably the Bio Shock series which is sci-fi and based on an Ayn Rand (objectivist- Altas Shrugged) hidden society.

Mechwarrior? Half life? I played those for a bit. You go to any gamer events with the rig? Trying to picture an RV LAN party lol!

I have it and tried it about a month ago. Was simply confused. Is it finished?

Fully finished, been playing it for about two years. I agree the documentation isn't great. I learned it from a friend, maybe this tutorial can help, seems to cover the basics. I always do "Perfection" mode, that gives you 30 turns to get a score as high as possible.

Feel free to ask me specifics, I know it pretty well by now.

My wife just got a WoW invite to classic beta

Watching her level a gnome mage and it is bringing back memories. Hope she is able to run deadmines soon.

Could we have a WOW guild named "Olde Farts"?
I started over with Everquest 2 on their newest Time Locked server. It is as close to classic EQ2 as we will get. I joined a guild and the topic of age came up in guild chat. A member spoke up and said he/she was pretty sure he was the oldest in the guild. He is about 52. He was not even in the top 5. LOL. Our oldest member on that night was 64 and there are a few parent/adult child members.

The mean and median age for MMOs has gone up considerably.

... A member spoke up and said he/she was pretty sure he was the oldest in the guild. He is about 52. He was not even in the top 5. LOL. Our oldest member on that night was 64 and there are a few parent/adult child members.

The mean and median age for MMOs has gone up considerably.

Very cool.

You got me thinking about the ages of game players. Here's some data, based on a 2018 ESA survey:

- The average age of a person who plays videogames is 34 (that's up from 31 in 2014).

- 60% of Americans play videogames daily.

- 64% of households have someone who plays games regularly (at least 3 hrs/wk.).

Here is a graph from the 2014 ESA report:

esa-on-games.jpg

Note that nearly 40% of gamers are over 36 years old (and that's 2014 data, so it's higher now). You wouldn't guess that from media articles and marketing.

And as most of us know, it's an increasingly big business.

EF2018_webimages_5-768x384.jpg

That's just spending in the US. If you consider the entire world, it's much more.

http://www.theesa.com/about-esa/industry-facts/

Last edited:
- The average age of a person who plays videogames is 34 (that's up from 31 in 2014).
Note that nearly 40% of gamers are over 36 years old (and that's 2014 data, so it's higher now). You wouldn't guess that from media articles and marketing.

This age shift is really apparent to anyone who's been to Cons over the years. I was one of the "clearly oldest" when I first started going to FFXI Fanfest in 2007, even though I wasn't even 40. My in game friends that I was meeting IRL for the first time were late teens and early 20's.

Last years FFXIV fanfest? OK I'm older, but I don't stick out in the crowd. My friends are all in their 20's and 30's now. Bringing spouses. Telling me about their new jobs, houses and babies.

And still killing dragons.

Back
Top Bottom