Any Interest in Videogames Here?

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone here interested in videogames?

I didn't get into them until I was 40. I'm 57 now, so I've been enjoying them for quite a while. I've gotten pickier as I got older, but I still enjoy them. I play about 5 to 10 hours a week, I don't watch TV or movies. I'm retiring soon, so I'll have more time to spend on games, if that's what I want to do.

I'm playing Days Gone at the moment. It's really good so far. It takes place in the Oregon wilderness, which I love. The main character is very fleshed out and has great voice acting.

maxresdefault-1528935587374.jpg

Days Gone reminds me of Horizon Zero Dawn, which I loved. Aloy is similar to Deacon; the game is very much their story. The environments in both games are stunning and beautiful.

horizonfrozenwilds-1280-1509939662281_1280w.jpg

Other games I've enjoyed:

Halo

Halo1610.jpg

Skyrim

ss_5d19c69d33abca6f6271d75f371d4241c0d6b2d1.1920x1080.jpg

Oh, too many to list.... Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn, Uncharted 4, God of War, Yakuza Zero, Yakuza Kiwami, Gravity Rush, Detroit, Spider-Man (haven't gotten to that yet, actually). And that's just this gen.

I play about 5 to 10 hours a week, I suppose. I've been playing a couple hours every day lately, because Days Gone just came out.

daysgonef_2122013b.jpg

So I was just wondering, does anyone here play videogames? What sort of games do you like?

Last edited:
Avid Runescape player here!

My husband taught me how to play video games when we were dating. He started me on simple stuff on his old Commodore 64, just shooting stuff that moved across the top of the TV screen. I graduated to stuff like Tetris, Lemmings, 3D Wolfenstein, Doom, and the like. It's been many years since I've done first person shooter games. Watching my kids play, I know the mechanics are much more sophisticated. I'm sure I could learn all over again though.

For awhile I got into Facebook gaming, but I didn't appreciate being so dependent on "friends" to progress in the games. I reached a point in one of my favorite games where you had to progress 3 levels to make it to the next point. If you failed any one of the 3, you got kicked back to the first of the 3 all over again. I quit because of that. I don't mind doing one level over and over again, but when I finally pass it, that should be it!

Mainly focused on Runescape now for several years. They're continually expanding and improving the game, IMO. My husband and kids played for about 3 years before I finally decided to try it. Watching them play, I couldn't see the appeal. My son kept nagging me to try it. I expected to be bored with it and quit. After 3 days, I was hooked!

Still play World of Warcraft, mostly waiting for the classic version to come out as it is more my taste (slower, grindier, more class specialized (healer, tank, dps).

That Days Gone though looks pretty interesting...may have to check it out.

Still play World of Warcraft, mostly waiting for the classic version to come out as it is more my taste (slower, grindier, more class specialized (healer, tank, dps).

That Days Gone though looks pretty interesting...may have to check it out.

It's a PS4 title, so hopefully you have one of those.

Avid Runescape player here!

[...]Mainly focused on Runescape now for several years. They're continually expanding and improving the game, IMO. My husband and kids played for about 3 years before I finally decided to try it. Watching them play, I couldn't see the appeal. My son kept nagging me to try it. I expected to be bored with it and quit. After 3 days, I was hooked!

I'd heard of Runescape, but I had to look it up to remind myself what kind of game it was. MMORPG.

I was surprised to read this: "With over 250 million accounts created, multiple spin-off games, a series of books, and a very dedicated fanbase, RuneScape is arguably one of the most popular franchises of online games ever." Wow.

https://www.lifewire.com/runescape-what-it-is-and-how-to-play-4129385

So the first two responses to the thread were MMORPG players. That's interesting. I never gotten into MMOs myself. I like going solo better. I don't like being tethered to other people or the lack of story/character.

I might experiment with more multiplayer when I'm retired, though.

Last edited:
Another MMORPGer here: FFXIV (and played FFXI for 10 years before that). We also go to their Fanfest/con every 2 years.

I used to play a ton of games - Have a PS4 but use it sparingly. Played fallout 4 and mad max a bunch when I got it.

I'd heard of Runescape, but I had to look it up to remind myself what kind of game it was. MMORPG.

I was surprised to read this: "With over 250 million accounts created, multiple spin-off games, a series of books, and a very dedicated fanbase, RuneScape is arguably one of the most popular franchises of online games ever." Wow.

https://www.lifewire.com/runescape-what-it-is-and-how-to-play-4129385

So the first two responses to the thread were MMORPG players. That's interesting. I never gotten into MMOs myself. I like going solo better. I don't like being tethered to other people or the lack of story/character.

I might experiment with more multiplayer when I'm retired, though.

I can relate. I'm more of a soloist myself. Overall, you can pretty much play Runescape by yourself. Your success/progress isn't limited by the level of your participation with others (or not). Other players may be there, playing alongside you, and you can talk to them, if you want to.

I've played World of Warcraft for many years. I have been in a very competitive raiding guild but quit eventually because it was very demanding and stressful and not fun anymore. I still just fool around in WOW some, playing mostly PVP. (player vs player)

My DH is currently playing Tom Clancy's "The Division 2" with friends he has played online with for over 20 years.

Not so much with kids. The original Halo was the last game I was "addicted to". With others Super Mario Bros, Sonic, Need for Speed, Half Life, Quake, Command and Conquer, Call of Duty, Sim City/The Sims, The Leisure Suit Larry Series, Splinter Cell, Tiger Woods PGA.

I look fwd to watching my kids get into video games. I had a friend who was pretty much addicted to WoW. He spent a few years in his robe playing that one lol. Really set him back in life quite honestly.

I've played World of Warcraft for many years. I have been in a very competitive raiding guild but quit eventually because it was very demanding and stressful and not fun anymore. I still just fool around in WOW some, playing mostly PVP. (player vs player)

My DH is currently playing Tom Clancy's "The Division 2" with friends he has played online with for over 20 years.

Wow, that's cool, to have online friends you game with for 20 years.

And yeah, some MMO clans can be pretty serious and competitive. I never got into that stuff. I play games for fun, relaxation, immersion/flow. I'm not that good anyhow.

Last edited:
Most modern video games are complex & suck up too much time.

I still fire up Age of Empires II at least weekly, though.

Keep playing those video games folks, you are my backup plan in old age. In 2013 our daughter at age 32 left Big Blue to become a software engineer in the video games industry and within 5 years had over $1M in investable assets. She is “just” an employee, not even a manager, which is how she likes it. When we paid for her to go to an out of State university I told her that we were investing in all our futures. :)

I got an xbox thinking after years I'd like to play video games, used to play wolfenstein, doom, tetris, era ones.

So now I have 180 games on my xbox , all free due to microsoft membership thing, which is also free.

But I found I don't want to play the games, I find the controller not precise enough, the little mushroom stem joysticks just send my aim or whatever flying all over the place.

I do keep adding my 3 free games every month. Just in case we ever do want to play.

Anyone here interested in videogames?

Only for the past 40 years. :rolleyes: Remember Temple of Apshai? Hellfire Warriors? Pool of Radiance? Those were the days. According to Wikipedia, "Temple of Apshai is considered one of the first graphical role-playing games for home computers" and it came out in 1979. IIRC the primitive graphics in Hellfire Warriors consisted of moving individual pixels around the screen that were almost as big as a fingernail. Before this type of graphical game came out we used to program our own simple text based games and pass them about. Or, back in the 1970's you could type in the code for them from computer magazines. So I guess if you count these early games, a few more than 40 years.

I loved the old RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Ultima 7, the original Sega Phantasy Star, and so on, back in the late 1980's - 1990's when they came out.

Lately I am old, retired and mellowing out, and in line with that process my desire to combat anybody (even orcs!) has greatly diminished. Perhaps that is a biological process. So anyway, right now I am frufru-for-cocoapuffs about Nintendo's Animal Crossing series which is a nice, non-combative series involving paying off mortgages, fishing, making friends with the humanoid animals that reside in one's town, and a nearly infinite and impressively intricate array of similar peaceful activities. You make your own goals, or just fish and do nothing (sort of like retired life! :D ). So obviously you can take breaks whenever you want without affecting game play at all.

I have played the latest in the Animal Crossing series for 3717 hours since its release in June, 2013, and I am still not tired of it. I played the previous game in the series about the same amount from 2008-2013, and I sometimes play earlier versions than that on older systems like my GameCube. I am breathlessly awaiting the next Animal Crossing game, which is scheduled for release sometime later this year.

One of my eleven budget categories is "Video Gaming" since this is my main hobby.

I played the old D&D and Petal Throne FRP games back in high school (in the 70's), paper wargames (SPI) in the 80s and 90s, and then computer games as soon as I was exposed to them (Star Trek in the late 1970s) and ever since.

I play mostly MMORPGs now, focusing on one or two for a few years, then moving on to the next. I like games with a strong economic component, the more complex the better.

I am playing Clash of Clans for now. As I don't like the politics of dealing with other team members, I play my own entire clan - much more relaxing.

We caved and got the kids a PS3 for XMas 2012. Since then I've been hooked on Assassin's Creed and faithfully look forward to the newest release each year. Since pong was the only video game I had a kid in the 70's, I'm pretty much awestruck by what my kids have today.

I don't play games, but have been having fun recently creating some (primitive) games using the Unity engine w/c#. Mostly 2D stuff so far, but hope to have more time in the summer to explore 3D aspects.

It's funny - I find the actual playing of them as uninteresting, but how they do what they do very interesting.

According to Steam I've played almost 10k hours of Path of Exile since 2013. Love that game, including the fact that you don't need to join a guild or party up to do all the content. Will pick it up again on Friday to start a month long race.

Other games I've really enjoyed on the PC:
Diablo 2
FFXI
World of Warcraft
Ghost Recon
Borderlands 2
Marvel Heroes
Grim Dawn
Guild Wars 2
Warframe

Currently playing Neverwinter with DW, and also I'm checking out the alpha test of Amazon's New World and the beta test of Last Epoch. New World is a bit too bloodthirsty for my taste, with the possibility of getting killed by another player and some of your inventory looted. Last Epoch is mildly interesting.

I played WoW for a few years but I felt it kind of sucked up too much time to stay relevant/successful in the game. Really enjoyed playing it though.

Now I try to play other games on the PC or phone that I can more easily step away from and still have some fun and game success.
For some reason, gaming consoles don't appeal to me much.

According to Steam I've played almost 10k hours of Path of Exile since 2013. Love that game, including the fact that you don't need to join a guild or party up to do all the content. Will pick it up again on Friday to start a month long race.

Other games I've really enjoyed on the PC:
Diablo 2
FFXI
World of Warcraft
Ghost Recon
Borderlands 2
Marvel Heroes
Grim Dawn
Guild Wars 2
Warframe

Currently playing Neverwinter with DW, and also I'm checking out the alpha test of Amazon's New World and the beta test of Last Epoch. New World is a bit too bloodthirsty for my taste, with the possibility of getting killed by another player and some of your inventory looted. Last Epoch is mildly interesting.

This is over a year @ 24 hours/day. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom