Anyone ever do the math on the economy of an RV vs. a motel?

HaHa said:
Would you continue RVing if gas/diesel got to $5/gal? Could you keep it up? Could the lifestyle be modified to keep a lot of what is good, but adjust for greater operating costs?

Do most people pay cash, or are RVs mostly financed?

My MH gets about 7.5 MPG. I generally figure the cost of gas at $3.00/gallon, just because I'd rather error on the high side. So for every 1000 miles I spend about $400 (1000/7.5*3) in gas. At $5.00/gallon the same trip would cost $667.

Considering I pay about $800/month between payments, insurance, and maintaince. The extra cost of gas is just another 'expense' of ownership. Also, keep in mind, if gas doubled at the pump, so did the cost of airfare. So it's basically a wash.

I guess I just answered your second question also...we financed our 'home on wheels' :) We actually had the money to pay cash, but choose to finance it because we got a great loan (4.9%) and decided the cash could be put to better use (two investment properties). As somebody else suggested, the interest is tax deductable as a second home.

REWahoo! said:
And I had such high hopes for you guys.

Martha retires and where's the first place you head with your new-found freedom and spirit of adventure? - Branson followed by a trailer park in FL. Say it ain't so.

It ain't so, kinda. We visited wet (eastern) Texas also. And Arkansas. And Louisiana. And other areas without snow.

Things I learned enroute to where I am now ;):

1) Arkansas should be called "The smell me state." As we just passed from Missouri to Arkansas we saw three horses leaving big droppings on the ground. DW rolled up the window. But otherwise we had a very nice time in two or three state parks. I almost fell into a river while climbing down a large cliff small hill. Arkansas can be dangerous if you look up too much.

2) Texas has two personaity disorders. The western half of the state thinks it's part of the west, which may be true if it didn't hve so much oil money; the eastern half thinks it's part of the South, which wouldn't be so bad if Loiuisiana wasn't so close: I was watching the Shreveport news one night and the police found a semi-naked married couple walking down a fairly busy road; after questioning it was discovered they were on meth and they left their clothes (and three toddlers) back in a quieter area. Their clothes were wrapped around their pipe and meth, and they were more worried about losing their drugs then about their kids. Hmmmm! In Minnesota, they would of had five new laws passed and at least $1,000,000 thrown at the problem before the woman was redressed--maybe. Texas is too big for itself. But their oil keeps them occupied. And they have too many trucks. And their highways are too crowded. I had to spend way too much time looking out for fast (but polite) traffic. Well worth revisiting--maybe.

3) Louisiana was very scenic. And I'm pretty sure I saw a bird DW has never seen. And it's a spicy state too. And we ate way too much Cajun food, mostly oysters for me.

4) Florida is OK so far. But I'm worried someone might sneak up and give me a barium enema. So I'm staying low profile, butt to the ground, so to speak.

Greg said:
4) Florida is OK so far. But I'm worried someone might sneak up and give me a barium enema. So I'm staying low profile, butt to the ground, so to speak.

Doc did mention that you should look him up when you got to FL. Or maybe it was the other way around...

Greg said:
Florida is OK so far. But I'm worried someone might sneak up and give me a barium enema. So I'm staying low profile, butt to the ground, so to speak.

That's NOT what I meant by meeting for dinner.

Offer's still good if you two are up to it. Dinner, that is.

How do you like the weather we ordered for you?

Greg...

Did you go to west Texas:confused: It if the dry part of the state.. and there are some LONG STRAIGHT roads you might not pass anyone for 10 to 20 minutes...

And Texas is 'BIG'.... if you are in El Paso, you are closer to the Pacific Ocean than the other side of the state... if you are in Orange (the other side)... you are closer to the Atlantic Ocean than El Paso...

And if you are in the upper west part of the panhandle... you are almost closer to Canada than the southern tip (this one I can not find for sure... but from what I can 'see', it is pretty close... it is over 1100 miles...

Cut-Throat started this thread - did he ever give his opinion?

I didn't realize how many RVs there are on this board - I feel a poll coming on.

**** Changed pole to POLL *** you would never know I am a college graduate from my spelling.

I went into finance in college since I knew I couldn't spell. Life might have been completely different if there were laptops with spell check when I was in school.

dex said:
I went into finance in college since I knew I couldn't spell. Life might have been completely different if there were laptops with spell check when I was in school.

If I start a thread; please
1. Stay on topic
2. Contribute your wisdom
3. Don't read into it what isn't there
4. Don't hijack
"Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living." Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's fun

This is completely off topic. There is no wisdom to share here.

Sam said:
This is completely off topic. There is no wisdom to share here.

I didn't start the topic :D

Back
Top Bottom