Anyone ever do the math on the economy of an RV vs. a motel?

Take a look at pop up campers
http://www.mikebentley.com/camping/popup.htm

There are alot of them out there and cheap if you buy used.

I think they are a step up from tent camping. They offer a little more comfort on a long trip. Also check out some RV parks in national parks.

This is a really stupid question, but could someone with an SUV, and one of those tents that attaches to the back, use an RV park in the national parks? Or do they mean a certain type of vehicle and no one else?

P.S. Can my dog come?

kate said:
This is a really stupid question, but could someone with an SUV, and one of those tents that attaches to the back, use an RV park in the national parks? Or do they mean a certain type of vehicle and no one else?

Yes, you can camp with a tent, trailer, RV, or camper in the national parks. There is
one campground in Yellowstone that requires a hard sided RV due to bear
activity. Other limitations are if you have a RV that is too big, you might have
trouble fitting in a space in some parks.

We just bought a used travel trailer and will pick it up today. Stepping up from a
tent trailer that we used to just sleep in. Did all the cooking outdoors. This will
be nice when the weather is cold, raining or snowing. Not doing it to save money,
that's for sure. It will be a lot more comfy. We get up early to take photos and
are out all day. Will be nice to come back to the trailer. We have done a lot of
climbing and backpacking and are ready for the trailer for longer trips. May still
do some backpacking, too. Got a 2004 Arctic Fox 22H

kate said:

P.S. Can my dog come?

Dogs are not allowed on trails in the national parks. You can bring your dog
but he would have to stay in your vehicle while you are hiking or touring the sites.
(dogs and wildlife don't mix well)

Kate, don't know your budget for this but be real sure before you use an SUV to meet this goal.We own a great little 22 foot class B RV, based on a Sprinter diesel chassis (22mpg). I would really miss the ability to cook, clean up, store everything I might conceivable need, stand, pee without having to navigate a park road in the pitch black night at 11 pm, climate control and a hundred other things.

An SUV sounds good but may disappoint. Just some thoughts. Maybe rent an SUV and try it for a couple of weekends before you decide.

We are camping in the Davy Crocket National Forest right now with our rv and dog. Dogs are ok on the trails if on leash.

We view our RV as a luxury.

Kate, look at a sportsmobile as an option. You can chose different van bodies, even the sprinter like Rich has, and load it with as much or as little as you want in options. We just looked at someone's Sprinter Sportsmobile in this park and it is sweet. www.sportsmobile.com

We considered the sportsmobile, too. They are very nice. Have met some people
in the parks who drive them and they love it. Also checked out the numerous
camper vans which can work well. Decided the travel trailer would work best for us. We can use the pick up truck when not traveling. Don't have to maintain
another engine on an RV. And we needed more storage space than the vans
offered us. It's all a trade off. People need to decide what they will use it for
and what works best for them. It's wonderful to be in the woods with the
beautiful scenery and wildlife. And if you don't like your neighbors, just move
down the road.

Hi Kate....

I am the very happy owner of an Airstream Bambi trailer. I absolutely LOVE it!
One of the considerations for my choice in Airstream is the quality and resale. There are 75 year old Airstreams out there! If you buy a used one there is no depreciation, but would most likely need alot of elbow grease...and becomes a 'hobby' in itself. Think car shows and the enthusiasts here. I would suggest that if anyone were considering the lifestyle to join Airstreamforums.com a forum much like this one where owners support each other and the wealth of information is priceless.

I've found a few cute trailers for a gal to have GREAT FUN with.... Google 'Tab trailers'...I've seen a few around and they are roomy, aerodynamic and small enough to be hauled by a regular car. I believe they weigh in the neighborhood of 1100 lbs. Easily parked and can fit in your garage for storage so you can decrease your overhead.

Another brand of very cute trailer that also holds their value well is the Shasta trailer.
There's a group of likeminded women, who travel alot together and go 'flyfishing' and their theme ...well ... think 'Cowgirl'...they have a website sistersonthefly.com
Most of them buy vintage Shastas and redecorate them how they please. I believe that you can pick up a used one from $1500 to a refurbished one around $6000.

I hope this helps, there are ways to keep the budget down and the fun better than ever!

You just cannot justify the rv, so we don't try. Anyone want to loan me their credit card when we go to fill up our 150 gallon diesel tank...

btw...$125 per night in the keys

Dave

OK - I'm pretty late to the discussion.

In most cases, there is no way to economically justify RVing over other modes of travel. RVs are a luxury. The exceptions are:
* buying an RV that has a very high resale value - Casitas are like this. Maybe Lazydays and Bornfrees are too.
* buying a super cheap RV - either a really old one or getting a super great deal.

But saving money is not really the point.

Before we bought an RV, we spent at least a couple of years doing the road trip/motel thing. After 9/11 it became impractical to fly places with all our camera gear, and we didn't mind the slower exploratory pace of road travel. But I tell you, it got old FAST! I hated the "foreign" sterile rooms, the weird smells, hauling stuff to and from the car (major hassle!), worrying about where the car was parked with respect to the room. I hated having to find places to eat all the time (for every meal!), and often these were really substandard (we're picky eaters). Packing and unpacking often - yuck! Worrying about your stuff either in the car or in the motel room and when housekeeping might show up. I really hated it. It didn't matter how "nice" the hotel was - that ultimately didn't really make a difference.

RVing is all about the style of travel. Your own bed! Your own kitchen and food. Your own bathroom at "pit stops". You have your own kitchen and dining room when you pull off the side of the road to take a break. Not having to PACK and UNPACK - that is a super biggie!!!. No sterile rooms with weird smells, uncomfortable beds with thin sheets, thin scratchy towels, and "free" breakfasts of questionable value. And most of all, being able to park your home/condo in so many really awesome places - many out in the middle of nowhere (which we like). I'm sure we wouldn't bother to own an RV if there weren't so many awesome places to camp and enjoy. For a couple who are avid nature photographers, it's really a dream lifestyle.

Of course, once you OWN an RV it seems like a really cheap way to travel, because camping fees can be low, and you are able to carry and prep your own food. Right now we're staying at Falcon State Park on the TX/Mexico border, and camping fees (water plus 50 amp electric) are a whopping $12 a night! That's hard to beat. And it's a beautiful remote park with lots of desert scrub currently in bloom - and lots of wildlife, especially birds.

Oh, another lovely thing about RV style travel is that the community is pretty neat. We visit with our neighbors a lot more than we ever did with motel travel, and more than we did even in our old suburb. Most RVers are out having fun, and it's a relaxed, take-it-easy, friendly environment. There are lots of retirees, and we like that. I feel safer in most campgrounds we stay in than I ever did in a hotel/motel. You really do get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Something that a motel does not protect you from unless you go stay in a resort.

So, yes, it's all about the lifestyle. Our RV was quite expensive but we were buying our "dream travel lifestyle" so it was worth the $$$ for us (what are you saving it for?). Because we're fulltime RVers, we eliminated any expenses and hassle associated with owning a house/property. That makes a big financial improvement compared to owning both, but there is no knocking doing both if you can afford it!

Audrey

Wow!!!

I know how I will be spending the rest of St. Paddy's Day!!!

Thanks for all the info!!!!!!! It's tremendous.

Big decision will be whether to own two vehicles. If one, likely the tab trailer with my Honda. Other possiblity is the Sportsmobile, and no other vehicle. I don't drive a lot. Might be best to rent a small car when I think I need one. (Or rent the Sportsmobile!)

Went all of a sudden from the SUV idea to something else!!! It sure looks like fun!!

I really want to stick to one vehicle and one set of ongoing bills, like insurance.

Thanks again!!

kate

audreyh1 said:
RVing is all about the style of travel. Your own bed! Your own kitchen and food. Your own bathroom at "pit stops". You have your own kitchen and dining room when you pull off the side of the road to take a break. ... For a couple who are avid nature photographers, it's really a dream lifestyle.

Oh, another lovely thing about RV style travel is that the community is pretty neat.
I used to do a lot of car/tent camping in the National Parks in the 60s and the community aspects appealed to me. I saw lots of retirees who appeared to be thoroughly enjoying themselves with no deadline to return to school :LOL: I always thought that would be something I would like when I retired. Now that I am there I am more into comfort than I would have anticipated so I would need a pretty decent sized RV. But I worry that finding good spots would be difficult. Whenever I travel in nice oceanfront areas and the like, the RV parks look like K-Mart parking lots.

Have you already talked about this aspect in other threads? If so, can you give me a link? If not, how about commenting on the convenience, ease of getting good camping spots, and such issues?

The most fun I've ever had away from home has been in a tent.

This started out of necessity since I couldn't afford anything else, some other broke friends & I would pack a tent in a boat and head to Canada to fish for a week. $100 later we'd come home with $200 worth of fish each.

Now, each of us could buy our own lodge, but we still choose to tent because we think it's more fun.

I know what you mean about being right outdoors with friends and a tent.

After spending the last several hours learning all about Airstream travel trailers, Sportsmobiles, and tab trailers, I'm wavering again, thinking I like my money staying where it is and trading in the Honda for a Subaru Forester, and getting one of those tents that attach on back. I'm right in the middle on my thinking right now. It's been awhile since I really treated myself to something...... I've been considering the 16' Airstream Bambi and the 16' Basecamp...... I can always juggle the money around. In fact, I just sent an email to a dealer in Vermont and said I can wait, but what would be your best price NOW? Of course, I don't have the best towing vehicle.....

Life and its options. Better than not having any. :)

As mentioned before it is first and foremost a lifestyle choice because any break-even computation will assume that you are using it all the time. Meaning many days each year.
Be careful that you might some day want to go to a motel for a change, or vacation in the Caribeans etc.

If you have to do the break-even computation do not go that route. If you are excited about having an RV at any cost go right ahead.
It also seems to me that you might be able to rent an RV as an alternative at least for a couple of years before making the decision.

Perinova, I hear you. I'm not doing a break-even computation. I do a comfort test with money. And if I want something, habitually I decide not to do something else, prioritize. That's my financial calculation. For example, I decided not to put vinyl siding on my cedar shingled house; I haven't really wanted to, but put the money aside years ago. THAT will now go into my kind of financial calculation about this; where's the available money? I'm going to pay cash. I'm pretty sure it will be a travel trailer, because having two engines/vehicles feels too obnoxious to me, for some reason. (I walk a lot.) Anyway, I'm just rambling on.

Thanks again for all the ideas. And thanks for the escapees link!

kate

Okay, this is it for today though I'm enjoying all this time daydreaming.

Current front runner is a used Sportsmobile, regular body, and use it also for the minimal amount of city driving I do. (i.e. my only vehicle). Found one, but it's too early. I want to let it ride in my daydreams for awhile and "try on" the idea.

Kate, have you considered an American van? It can be used everyday. It fits in a garage. But you can always camp without a tent. The 3rd row bench turns into a comfortable queen size bed in 2 minutes. No fancy motor, all manual.

This is a picture of my 93 Ford Econoline Chateau. I took it all the way to the Artic circle. I always have a place to sleep, and never on the ground.

BTW, that van is probably worth $3,000 today.

Attachments

• Bench to bed.jpg
    Bench to bed.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Bench to bed.jpg_thumb
    30.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Econoline Chateau.jpg
    Econoline Chateau.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Econoline Chateau.jpg_thumb
    36.3 KB · Views: 1
Do they still make them? Or something like that? I never heard of the third seat folding into a bed! But I know so little about what's out there!

donheff said:
Now that I am there I am more into comfort than I would have anticipated so I would need a pretty decent sized RV. But I worry that finding good spots would be difficult. Whenever I travel in nice oceanfront areas and the like, the RV parks look like K-Mart parking lots.

Have you already talked about this aspect in other threads? If so, can you give me a link? If not, how about commenting on the convenience, ease of getting good camping spots, and such issues?
We travel in a 36ft (actually closer to 37) diesel pusher motorhome with a jeep towed behind. We are perhaps the max length you want to be and still be able to use plenty of state and federal parks. We're too big for some. Being 30ft or less makes more available, and 25ft or less even more. A lot of people own 40ft motorhomes, and we've stayed at a lot of places where that extra few feet would mean we'd be too tight.

If we weren't fulltimers, we'd have a shorter rig (maybe 28-30ft) so we could fit even more places, but seriously we don't feel like we're missing out at all with our current size.

We stay at a lot of awesome places. We prefer to be out in the boonies. We don't really care if the park is very simple (few amenities), but we hate being cramped! No 25ft spacing for us - no thank you!

We have never stayed in a "parking lot" type RV campground - at least not for more than overnight in transit. But we see them all the time. It's funny - I think the nice campgrounds are the ones you can't see from the road because they are either out in the middle of nowhere or surrounded by enough vegetation to hide the RVs! You only see the crappy ones from the major roads!

I use www.rvparkreviews.com a lot and it has rarely steered me wrong. It really weeds out the substandard places, and you'll find lots of popular out of the way parks. I also use the "Big Rig Directory" which helps make sure we have a place that can accommodate larger motorhomes. That's really for 40ft+ motorhomes, but it helps us make sure a park has space.

State parks are usually great with lots of space although the sites may not accommodate a 40ft + rig. TX and FL parks are pretty good overall. A few older ones that are closed in, but lots of nice modern ones with oodles of room and privacy. Many Corps of Engineers parks will handle even a 40ft rig no problem. These are great - but again, you'll be out in the boonies!

Obviously we focus on the state and federal parks because that's where you'll find the wildlife!

There are also some private campgrounds which are a lot better than cramped parking lots. There are some fancy higher end RV "resorts" which will be $$$ but have pretty nice amenities. Of course there are a lot of RV campgrounds that call themselves a "resort" when they are pretty crappy, so be suspicious of the name until you read a review! Buckhorn Lake Resort near Kerrville TX is a good example of how nice a high-end resort can be (also happens to be conveniently close to our in-laws).

Audrey

It appears as though RVing is a lifestyle choice, as has been noted. Some folks like to boat, some play golf, some like to take leisurely cruises on large boats ships. These can all be very costly, though very enjoyable, activities for folks with a lot of time and money on their hands. Thank God that we have so many choices!

When my kids were small and we were pretty poor, we used to camp in a tent. We loved it and always questioned how all of those RVers could really be having as much fun as we were having in those huge things. We camped all over and would stay at a state park or national park a day or a week depending on whatever moved us. I probably saved a bunch of $ doing that and can now afford an RV but still would rather "tent it" but DW will not go that route any more. :-\

I'm going to practice, from the ground up. ;)

My parents own property in a very rural area out of state. I'm going to set up there with my car, my dog, my shotgun, and my tents and stuff. I'll see how it goes, what I miss, what I want, what I need.

Oh damn, I forgot about the bears. :-\

(The shotgun wasn't for them.)

There are still lots of old-timers to be found in their "RVs" parked at the rivers, state parks, National Forests around WA. Lots of very old vintage slide in campers on 70s or even older pickups. They seem to work fine, and if you have 4WD they can go most anywhere if you keep the slide-in reasonable size. Their great advantage is that if you are going hunting or fishing or hiking for a day, you can sleep right at your jump off point. Same for ski-ing. Parking lot is full of people sleeping in vans; these campers are a step up from that. And in summer, you have window screens, in winter you can get out of the rain and snow.

This very low end approach is all I would be likely to try. Those huge and expensive vehicles kind of intimidate me; though I suppose if you make the road your home it would work out fine.

Ha

kate said:
Do they still make them? Or something like that? I never heard of the third seat folding into a bed! But I know so little about what's out there!

I don't know. Ford really never advertized this feature. I didn't not even know about it until I stumbled onto it on a used car lot. Anyway, the important thing here is that any large van is a great alternative to tent camping. Just remove the back seat and you have a very comfortable tent on wheels.

Back
Top Bottom