Apple Watch

I just got an Apple watch, I think Series 2, and I am surprised how much I like it. It only works when my phone is near, but my phone is usually near. Now according to blow that dough, I should have bought the latest version and I made up my mind that next time I will.

Why not return it if your are still within the window? There isn't much difference in price between the model 2 and 3.

Yeah cellular is for people who want to go jogging without having to carry the iPhone.

Yeah cellular is for people who want to go jogging without having to carry the iPhone.

Yeah, I’ve had my Series 3 for 4-5 months and have used the LTE functionality only a handful of times.

Why not return it if your are still within the window? There isn't much difference in price between the model 2 and 3.

Oh, I like the one I have, I just made a mental note for the next Apple product I buy :).

We use the built-in reminders list to keep our shopping list. It displays on the phone and we can check items off right there. We share a couple of lists including "Shopping List" and so it's synced across all our devices and computers.

It's quite handy having the list on your wrist when our shopping!!!

Can you explain more about how you are doing this? Is it just the built in apps? TX!

Several things for me. I love my Apple Watch (2nd edition here), and DW is head over heels with hers.

When out for a workout, I have my progress being tracked and visible on my wrist, which is really nice. Also a little tone to mark each mile or exercise goal.

Another is that when I get a text I can glance at my wrist and I don't have to pull out my phone. I have a bunch of canned responses I can reply with on the watch. That's handy in the car, as the #1 canned response on my list is "Sorry, I'm driving now." A quick tap will send that and I barely have to take my eyes off the road.

Another is Apple Pay. Instead of pulling the phone out of my pocket I can just hold my wrist next to the terminal and double-click the watch button. I use that one often. Much to my surprise, I was able to do that yesterday at a vending machine at a highway rest area.

I also have the current outdoor temperature displayed (along with time and date) all the time, so a glance tells me the weather.

I never thought I would actually buy an Apple Watch, but once I did I wondered why it took me so long.

I can pull my phone out of my pocket to use Apple Pay with one hand, and probably faster than reaching over to a watch.
My phone has an app that helps with workouts and tells me mileage too. Also sets goals if I desired.
I can ask Siri about the weather if I choose, and often do in the morning.
I still don’t see why I’d ever pay for an Apple Watch, and I’ve had iPhones and MacBooks for years.

This is one of my favorites [raises wrist and says “Hey Siri, add beer to my grocery list”]

Exactly! And it’s even smart enough to ask me which shopping list, or I specify add X to my Costco shopping list, for example.

I just don't see the point of adding cellular coverage to the watch (for me, anyway). I nearly always have the phone with me.

Occasionally a voice call will come in, and I'm either driving or at home with the phone in another room. I can answer the call easily on the watch, Dick Tracy style. Having a watch with cellular would be a waste of money for me.

Yeah. We bought the cellular version of the watch due to a couple of other features. But the times we would really need it are small - mainly if we are out exercising without our phones (long walks from the house) so maybe we miss a call or a message until we return home. We don’t stream music to our watches, and we tend to carry our phones on long bicycle rides anyway.

Another scenario would be a long walk on a beach or hanging by the pool on vacation, or going out on the water. You can safely leave your phone locked away back in the room, and the watch is waterproof so you don’t have to worry about it getting wet. Just not that common for us and we don’t mind being incommunicado for brief periods of time.

BTW, I love, love, LOVE the phone in another room or place feature. My phone is usually in another room - in my purse or on my nightstand, yet I can interact with it anywhere in my small house. And if out doing stuff - sure my purse is with me, or in the back seat of the car or whatever, but I don’t actually have to dig it out.

When driving I’ve often just say “Hey Siri, route me to XYZ” and the watch figures it out and I’m running a route on my phone with voice prompts from my phone which I can hear even though it’s still in my purse, and wrist taps from my watch.

Putting my watch on airplane mode on a plane puts my phone on airplane mode too, so, again, I don’t have to dig out my phone. Probably should mention that turning airplane mode off, you do have to do it on both devices individually.

Last edited:
Can you explain more about how you are doing this? Is it just the built in apps? TX!

Yes, it’s just the built-in Reminders app which is available on all iOS devices plus Macs. You can share individual reminders lists between multiple folks. Several of our shared lists are shopping lists for various stores we frequent plus checklists for travel or repeating scenarios like preparing the house before a trip.

Worth mentioning that you can use the “show completed items” feature to uncheck things which puts them back on the lists. Thie is very useful for things that often repeat.

We also use shared calendars (Calendar app) heavily as things with schedules match that format better. You can have schedule repeated and time triggered items in Reminders too, so you just pick which is more appropriate.

I can pull my phone out of my pocket to use Apple Pay with one hand, and probably faster than reaching over to a watch.
I seriously doubt this. My hand is already at the payment terminal. I push a couple of buttons with my other hand.

Way faster than pulling out a credit card or phone. Even much faster than sticking a credit card in a slot and then removing it!

I seriously doubt this. My hand is already at the payment terminal. I push a couple of buttons with my other hand.

Way faster than pulling out a credit card or phone. Even much faster than sticking a credit card in a slot and then removing it!

It’s a little bit faster, and a whole lot cooler :D

Back
Top Bottom