Are you lazier in retirement?

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

Tomorrow never comes.
grin.gif

This gives me a good answer when I get asked 'Do you get bored?' I have one working buddy that plays with my group once a week and it never fails he will ask that question....

I was often bored at work and have sometimes been bored in retirement. Either way, being retired is much better. I treasure the freedom.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

No, no, no.....that's not good. Being ER'd, we need to manage our time better than that! We should never say, "Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?". Rather than that, we should say, "Why do today what you can put off until next year?"

We really should have long term goals! :D

No time to be lazy this year. Maybe next year. We stay busy all day and can't imagine how we ever got anything done when we we working. I know once we downsize and move things will settle down.

Lazy? I don't have time to be lazy!

Like most of my grade school teachers used to say to me....."Your just not applying yourself, young man!"

Being (or becoming) lazy takes a lot of effort! ;)

I promise I will try harder!

You know, I always wanted to be a procrastinator...

Me too, but I'll have to put that off until next year. Right now I'm too busy looking over my "To Do" list......from last year. Ahh, the heck with it!! I'll just staple it to this year's list, and look at next year....or maybe in '09.

No use rushing into anything. I vaguely remember part of some old quote about "Only fools rush in..."......and I don't want to be a fool! :uglystupid:

I'm probably less physically active than I was pre-retirement, but I feel more creative and mentally stimulated than when I was working. I guess it's because of anxiety reduction.

Oh BTW, I get up at 5am everyday. Not because I have to, it just feels good to start the day at dawn. Anyway, as my wife says, there's plenty of time to sleep after you're dead.

Oh BTW, I get up at 5am everyday. Not because I have to, it just feels good to start the day at dawn. Anyway, as my wife says, there's plenty of time to sleep after you're dead.

My Mom always told me to "have a little fun now cuz you'll be dead a long time." Clearly, I took that to heart and "fun hog" is my middle name. :cool:

I like what your wife said too. And it's a good point. I have gotten into the habit of keeping late hours and therefore accomplishing little before lunch the next day. I'm printing out your wife's words, in large font, and posting them on the bulletin board right above my monitor. It'll give me something to think about as I settle into the chair here in my office to listen to music and surf the web until the middle of the night.......

I like what your wife said too. And it's a good point. I have gotten into the habit of keeping late hours and therefore accomplishing little before lunch the next day. I'm printing out your wife's words, in large font, and posting them on the bulletin board right above my monitor. It'll give me something to think about as I settle into the chair here in my office to listen to music and surf the web until the middle of the night.......

Thanks, youbet. I showed your response to my wife, and it made her day.

FIRE was my goal. I'm resting from my accomplishment. Not intending to look for another goal.

As for laziness, I'm the same as before RE. Now I'm just going slower. I don't miss working on chores until dark on Saturday and Sunday evenings, trying to get them all done before the workweek starts.

I don't miss working on chores until dark on Saturday and Sunday evenings, trying to get them all done before the workweek starts.

You got that right! I usually take my leisurely time getting the chores done during the week, and leave weekends open to relax & visit. And sometimes it takes all week (or more) to get a couple of hours of chore done! I haven't found any reason to rush to get things done.....and I've sat around a pondered that quite a bit too....but still haven't come across any reason.

I might be slow, but I ain't getting paid to be fast. No worries.....No Hurries!

Lazier? If that's possible yes.

(innocent question) What's a Weekend?
(flippant ressponse) That's the time when far too many people are loose and mucking about. Time for us to lay low and wait 'em out...:cool:

(innocent question) What's a Weekend?
(flippant ressponse) That's the time when far too many people are loose and mucking about. Time for us to lay low and wait 'em out...:cool:

Sometimes I mess up and go to the store on a weekend; oh the humanity.:rant:

Sometimes I mess up and go to the store on a weekend; oh the humanity.:rant:
Before I retired, I would usually do my grocery shopping in the evening when I got off work. I used to really resent it when older people who were obviously retired would choose to shop at that same time or on week-ands and crowd the checkstands. They have the whole week-day to take care of their errands. Why do they have to do them the same time when working people are trying to take care of business?

Well, guess what. I sometimes find myself shopping during "working people time". I've become what I hate. :-\

Before I retired, I would usually do my grocery shopping in the evening when I got off work. I used to really resent it when older people who were obviously retired would choose to shop at that same time or on week-ands and crowd the checkstands.

I would shop at off times if I got 1/3 off. Otherwise, I will shop when I want to shop (just like you do now as a retired guy :) ) I might go at 6 PM, because that is when I am hungry; I might go at 2 AM because I am out of pork rinds and wine; or I might go at 2PM because I don't have anything better to do.

As far as laziness, I am not at all physically lazy. I walk 6-8 miles a day, and sometimes more. Then I might go out dancing at night, or skip rope or whatever. But I really tend to resist doing things I don't want to do.

Ha

I might go at 2 AM because I am out of pork rinds and wine....

I love shopping in those early AM hours! No crowds, No lines, and best of all (IMHO) no having to listen to whiny, screaming kids throwing tantrums because mommy won't buy 'em the crappy cereal with with the worthless toy inside the box that will be broken before the first bowl of cereal is even eaten.

We made the mistake of going for groceries the other afternoon, and had to wait for 'junior' to end his tirade, so we and some other inconsiderate retirees could maneuver our carts through aisle to continue shopping. All the while mommy & daddy stood there saying "Don't be like that junior, it's not polite. You need to get up off the floor. Come on get up off the floor......well, OK, stay there and think about it then." Over and over and over.

I finally had enough, and decided either the kid moves, or gets run over. I made some growling, snarling remark, "accidentally" bumped my cart into the nearest shelf to make a little noise to get his attention, then put in gear! The kid jumped up and ran and hid behind his old man.

If I'd thrown a fit like that kid when I was young, my butt would have so sore that I would have had to stand up in the car on the way home. It seems like about every other time that I make the mistake of going to the store during 'working people' hours, some little monster is acting like that and the parent treats it as normal behavior.

So here's to us night-owls that don't want to crowd those poor working stiffs during the only free time they have to shop!
food-smiley-015.gif

:D

We made the mistake of going for groceries the other afternoon, and had to wait for 'junior' to end his tirade, so we and some other inconsiderate retirees could maneuver our carts through aisle to continue shopping. All the while mommy & daddy stood there saying "Don't be like that junior, it's not polite. You need to get up off the floor. Come on get up off the floor......well, OK, stay there and think about it then." Over and over and over.

My grocery store offered seniors 6% (or was it 7%?) discount on Wednesdays, in addition to the store card discounts. I loved it. The mommy and daddy above wouldn't shop then, because of all the slow moving older people. The older people were SO much more polite - - "Excuse me!" "Nice day, isn't it?" "Have you ever tried this brand?" and so on. I tried to shop on Wednesdays after work when I could.

But, a couple of weeks ago my store got bought out by another chain. No senior discounts, and not even a store card. Grr! :rant:Oh well. I will ER in two years, and maybe I'll find a store with senior discounts in Springfield. :D

I shop in Florida so my store is always loaded with real old seniors .They have to shop in pairs so thet take up the whole aisle and when they get to the register they wait until everything is bagged and in their cart and they have had a long conversation with the checker about their recent colonoscopy before they open their purse and pull out a check book and then it's another ten minutes till they find their driver's license and discuss what happened to a missing check then of course everything needs to be rearranged in their purse before they can leave .

What you don't understand is that they are enjoying the process. It might be their only interaction with "others" that day. I used to try and get my Dad to use the ATM. He said he would miss the tellers who were his friends...he would show up at the wicket without any withdrawal slip and they would dutifully complete one for him while he chatted.

What you don't understand is that they are enjoying the process. It might be their only interaction with "others" that day. I used to try and get my Dad to use the ATM. He said he would miss the tellers who were his friends...he would show up at the wicket without any withdrawal slip and they would dutifully complete one for him while he chatted.

You are probably right .That's why I don't get upset by the process just amused .

Back
Top Bottom