Are you lazier in retirement?

I shop in Florida so my store is always loaded with real old seniors .They have to shop in pairs so thet take up the whole aisle and when they get to the register they wait until everything is bagged and in their cart and they have had a long conversation with the checker about their recent colonoscopy before they open their purse and pull out a check book and then it's another ten minutes till they find their driver's license and discuss what happened to a missing check then of course everything needs to be rearranged in their purse before they can leave .

You need to do more online shopping........;)

What you don't understand is that they are enjoying the process. It might be their only interaction with "others" that day. I used to try and get my Dad to use the ATM. He said he would miss the tellers who were his friends...he would show up at the wicket without any withdrawal slip and they would dutifully complete one for him while he chatted.

I'm sorry, but being old does not give one the right to be inconsiderate of others. I often hear that bogus excuse about elderly people's lack of interaction. If a senior is physically capable of getting out to the supermarket or the bank, he / can join groups / and or otherwise become involved in other age appropriate activities. Narcissism is understandable for a toddler's bad behavior, but not for that of an adult.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but being old does not give one the right to be inconsiderate of others. I often hear that bogus excuse about elderly people's lack of interaction. If a senior is physically capable of getting out to the supermarket or the bank, he / can join groups / and or otherwise become involved in other age appropriate activities. Narcissism is understandable for a toddler's bad behavior, but not for that of an adult.
I have actually volunteered my own change when a senior in front of me is struggling with their change purse. And if they cannot find their discount card, I offer them mine.

I just had to reframe the event from
Trying to get it over with!
to
Another opportunity to have a positive interaction with others
and after that my life got better...

(PS I call myself a reformed Type A.)

Every time I get behind an older and inefficient shopper in the check out line, I just think, "I hope that's not me in 20 years". Right now, I can see the problems that those people are creating for others, but I'm not sure that those people can actually see those problems as they are happening to them. I really think that people begin to develop blinders as they age - both physically and mentally, blocking out things around them in order to concentrate on one thing at a time.

Every time I get behind an older and inefficient shopper in the check out line, I just think, "I hope that's not me in 20 years".

And I hope you get what you want! We're gona miss ya........... ;)

Let's just say I'm so lazy that it even bothers me, and I am pretty easy going. Oh, and the new anti-depressant pre-scrip-tion isn't helping either:p

I wish I could claim credit for this one but I can't. It does very much apply to me, though:

"My major sin is still sloth, but at least now I don't pi$$ all over myself anymore." (for those of you who is ignorant, a sloth is an animal that climbs up tree limbs upside down, and presumably may at times relieve itself when inverted.)

Gonna do all the chores that have piled up over the years of 13-14 hour megacorp w*rk days (and do them REALLY slowly), give DW the time she deserves, travel a bit (via car, too much business travel by air to even enjoy it anymore), visit friends & relatives, do some volunteering, maybe be a service missionary for a couple of years, and just relax.

R

I am planning on it! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom