Are you retired?

Turned 62 last month and will be calling it quits soon. Still have a few things to do. If everything works our I will be done by July when our contract at work runs out. Hoping I get laid off then.

Retired yes, in 2015.
At age 55 and 28 days
Original goal 55
Still pissed that I missed my goal by 28 days. :)

Are you retired? YES

How old are you when you retire? 45

When do you want to retire? I first thought 50-55, it accelerated because of health issues and injuries from the military

FIRED at 45, Class of 2015

I originally planned to retire in my early 50's at the latest, but I relied too much on basic retirement calculators that assumed, among other things, that 80% of my income would be required in retirement. Still, this compelled me to double my savings rate in the early 2000's. I beat my original exit goal by half a decade with the help of my frugal wife. Dual income & no kids helped greatly too. We now live on less than 40% of our pre-retirement income and life is great! :dance:

Are you retired? Yes

How old are you when you retire? 53

When do you want to retire? I had initially planned to retire in 2020 at age 59. After my wife retired I couldn't wait... :cool:

Are you retired? Yes

How old are you when you retire? 50.

Met my goal of retiring at 50!

Retired at 56. DW "retired" 20 years earlier. I did a sabbatical for a year at age 50 which convinced me to put a 5 year plan in place.

Are you retired? Yes

How old were you when you retired? 34. (63 now)

Never thought about it as I was too busy making/spending money.Started to enjoy life and realized I was too busy to go back to work. So far,so good although I do have a volunteer childcare gig. I did not really volunteer as much as my young wife wanted a career and who am I to deny her the joy of working.

I know there was a poll for the age people retired here. Does anyone have a link to that? I seem to remember it showed a median age of early retirees around 55.

My answers: No, not retired yet. Planning to go at 57, in about 2 years.

Are you retired? No, just FI

How old are you when you retire? Older then now (59)

When do you want to retire? I'm not sure. I like consulting and took off 20 weeks last year. My current plan is when grandkids arrive (min 2 years).

Yes, 49, 50.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I had some spare time and was curious, so I went through and looked at all the "Yes" answers. Here are the overall stats:

N = 147

Mean (average) age of retirement = 53.7 (or 54 if we round up).

Median age = 55

Mode (most common) age = 55

Median and mode are higher than mean, because the mean was pulled down by a half dozen ne'er do wells who retired in their 30's.

Range: 33 to 70. Most of them cluster in the 50's.

30's: 3%
40's: 17%
50's: 65%
60's: 14%
70's: <1%

Last edited:
Good job with the compilation. The OP could have done a poll.

After checking to see that I have not posted to this thread, I give my answer now.

Wife: 50. Myself: 55.

So, I fall right in with the crowd.

PS. I think both of us wanted to retire when we were 12.

Last edited:
Eddie's stats in #218 are great. Add one more.

Are you retired? Yes
When did you retire? 59
When did you plan to retire? In 1990, I had a plan to retire at 60.

Eddie's stats in #218 are great. Add one more.

Thanks. I'll repost them here, so people don't have to go back a page:

I had some spare time and was curious, so I went through and looked at all the "Yes" answers. Here are the overall stats:

N = 147

Mean (average) age of retirement = 53.7 (or 54 if we round up).

Median age = 55

Mode (most common) age = 55

Median and mode are higher than mean, because the mean was pulled down by a half dozen ne'er do wells who retired in their 30's.

Range: 33 to 70. Most of them cluster in the 50's.

30's: 3%
40's: 17%
50's: 65%
60's: 14%
70's: <1%

I would not be surprised if a bunch of retirees in their 50's was the result of losing a job and not being able to find another one.

I would not be surprised if a bunch of retirees in their 50's was the result of losing a job and not being able to find another one.
... or they did not bother to look for another one, when they figured out they had enough to live on.

My wife and I both retired, or rather quit voluntarily. She did not have any pension or benefit, but the work condition got to her. That division of her megacorp (one of the Dow 30) was having a bad time, and the pressure was horrendous. They wanted to fire all the people working for her, and sent her to India to train replacements. So she quit, and never thought of finding another job.

I was working part-time already for almost 10 years, and one day did not want to continue. And that was that.

Back
Top Bottom