Blow That Dough! - 2019

This is a three part series of our installation of BTD Fall 2019.

Our bed was way overdue, so we landed on some $1600 Thomas Cole pillow top. They ALMOST had me sold on the power adjustable frame, but I decided I could just buy the most expensive pillows ever and accomplish the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

My washer and dryer repairs only held up so long, the dryer needs another new wheel, and the washer is totally out of balance even after I replaced the bearing, the new one is also having issues and squeaking. WE ARE DONE with agitating front loaders. Modifying the laundry room to accommodate a pair of top load GE. Head bad things about Samsung and decided against the more expensive, less reviewed and non USA company LG to settle on a $1350 set. After our 10% off, plus the 5% cash back category, our $200 statement credit and what looks to be a State rebate of $45 we managed to shave off like $350 from retail. WINNING.

Next up is 2 sets of new tires, one for the car, one for the truck. Should run around 1k as well.

These are more needs than wants.

Will be blowing about $600 for BOGO companion certs for our annual Florida trip to the Villages in January. No way I am sticking around all winter for the 'Polar Coaster'

I had to laugh, was blowing the FIL dough this weekend, dining out at a fancy supper club on the lake and noticed for the first time ever, Wagyu 'Gold" center cut. I had to think of RobbieB and it made for a nice little conversation over dinner.

Take a looksie:
wagyu.JPG

Bought my first BMW, an R1200RT. Never would have thought it would be a motorcycle and not a car. I've gone through periods in my life where I would lust after a BMW 3-Series. Fortunately, my FIRE plans kept me from biting that bullet. Now I'm throwing caution to the wind and reliving the carefree motorcycle riding of my youth--before I can't!

I have one of those! You're gonna love it! Very comfy, lots of power, light weight (relatively) and very stable

Considering buying an electric Zero DSR motorycle for buzzing around locally. Currently, on lazy days, I'll go for a 2-3 hour drive, and an electric motorycle would add a unique flavor to the adventure. A premium price of $20k will be spent to outfit this adventure, but heck, SPEND THAT DOUGH!

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/

Re Motorcycles -- I've had several, currently ride a 1996 R1100GS with 70K miles on it. Make sure you spend some money on quality gear -- riding suit, helmet, boots, gloves, and wear it! Worth every penny as you're sliding down the road on your *ss.

Re Zero -- looks like a really nice alternative to the real thing, but IMHO, way over priced. At 40+ mpg, I can buy a lot of gas for the premium price.

Ride Safe!

Re Motorcycles -- I've had several, currently ride a 1996 R1100GS with 70K miles on it. Make sure you spend some money on quality gear -- riding suit, helmet, boots, gloves, and wear it! Worth every penny as you're sliding down the road on your *ss.

Re Zero -- looks like a really nice alternative to the real thing, but IMHO, way over priced. At 40+ mpg, I can buy a lot of gas for the premium price.

Ride Safe!

Definitely buying the quality gear. The appeal for the electric is riding the local country roads in quiet. This will be a fun introduction into the EV world. Cost wise, lol, there's no way I can justify over a gasser.

Having a new engine built for my 1969 Camaro...a 383 Chevy stroker with 450 HP. The current engine I built myself in the early 1980s...it's "tired". Looking forward to the install, which will be done in about 6 weeks.

We bought this souped-up 2015 Club Car Precedent electric golf cart to ride around on our property, down to the river, over to the neighbors, out to the mailbox/trash can (both outside the gate to neighborhood), etc.,

This cart is intended to be a huntin' buggy, but I don't hunt at all. Besides driving it on our own property, there are several trails and barely traveled county roads (dirt) nearby. Being electric, it makes nature-watching A LOT better than any gas-powered vehicle.

Attachments

• buggy_09-2019.jpg
    buggy_09-2019.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 77
^^^ Nice. You can blow more dough and put lithium batteries in it, if it does not have that already.

^^^ Nice. You can blow more dough and put lithium batteries in it, if it does not have that already.

The lead-acid batteries in this are only about 1-year old, so I will hold onto them for a while. I will be watching the lithium battery conversion market price over the next couple of years.

Will lithium batteries follow Moore's law?:)

Heading out on a RC New England/Canada cruise in 2 weeks. Balcony suite. Lots of lobster and steak dinners on the way! Yeah baby. . .

The lead-acid batteries in this are only about 1-year old, so I will hold onto them for a while. I will be watching the lithium battery conversion market price over the next couple of years.

Will lithium batteries follow Moore's law?:)

Not quite so far, although the price has been dropping. I love to see less expensive lithium battery. It would help a lot with renewable energy.

Our new kitchen.

We waited a long time and I'm never doing this again so I tried not to look at prices when I picked things out. The countertops are quartz, which I had no idea was one of the most expensive types of material. It's called charcoal soapstone and it's a beautiful dark slate grey with subtle veining like natural soapstone.The tile is marble and was costly but I LOVED it when I saw it. The flooring is vinyl planks, they look just like wood and have a slight grain but you don't have to be concerned about water spots.

The refrigerator and dishwasher are new, I haven't replaced the stove yet, but that's coming. Also, we ran the flooring down the basement steps and included the stairway walls when the kitchen got painted. The cabinet to the left of the stove is deliberately shallower than the others because that's our main entrance from the garage and a full depth cabinet would make the entrance a little tight.

We are very happy with the results and just glad that it's DONE!

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126c.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126c.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 96
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126d.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126d.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 86
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126e.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126e.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Beautiful, SueJ!! I think that is one of the most lovely kitchens I have ever seen. I love your taste and choices in materials. I don't know if you changed the cabinetry, but I love those deep drawers instead of the usual lower cabinets. I also especially like your back splash and those under cabinet lights highlight it beautifully.

Yes, we changed the cabinets. The kitchen was from 1955! We also upgraded the electric and added plenty of outlets since we never had outlets where we needed them. We didn’t change the layout at all because I liked how the old kitchen operated, just everything was OLD.

All the new doors and drawers are “ soft close” and I got a lot of drawers instead of lower cabinets.

Here is a “before” pic.

IMG_1002.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, we changed the cabinets. The kitchen was from 1955! We also upgraded the electric and added plenty of outlets since we never had outlets where we needed them. We didn’t change the layout at all because I liked how the old kitchen operated, just everything was OLD.

Oh, WOW! I liked the new design when I first saw it, but now that I see the old one, I LOVE the new one! Huge difference.

We also just “updated” as the wife calls it, the kitchen. Cabinets painted, new countertops, and island changed for seating.

And evidently we hung it from the ceiling.

Attachments

• B8E43184-1704-4F19-A56B-62BAE1A1CB83.jpg
    B8E43184-1704-4F19-A56B-62BAE1A1CB83.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 72330E08-5972-4F68-9475-C3884DCE7DA2.jpg
    72330E08-5972-4F68-9475-C3884DCE7DA2.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 78
That's really expensive!

All the new doors and drawers are “ soft close” and I got a lot of drawers instead of lower cabinets.

Here is a “before” pic.

View attachment 32613

Oh MY! What a change! I love that subway tile too!

Few things bring more joy (and value) than a new kitchen! Congrats to both of you on tackling the project! Wonderful transformation!

Not to mention the insurance, all the liability from falls...

Back
Top Bottom