Blow That Dough! - 2019

I'm not totally up on all particulars, as we are traveling with friends, and we copied their basic itinerary. First class air travel from Grapetown to Budapest and back, basic cabin, 2 early days in Budapest on our own to get acclimated, 8 day cruise. Extra excursions have not been picked out yet but there is a wide choice that comes with cruise and several add-ons, we do not have to pick them as yet.

We will have to get further info from our FIRE forum members as to acquiring Euros, CPAP machine power converters and cell phone convertability.

If that $11,000 includes first-class airfare for two from US to Europe as well as the cruise, that's a good deal.

If that $11,000 includes first-class airfare for two from US to Europe as well as the cruise, that's a good deal.
That's what we thought, too. We also purchase the booze package, well, because we wanted it.:dance: There was a sale going on, and it ended July 31st. We are now getting the proverbial marketing followups to upgrade our room choice if we purchase another cruise by August 31st. I'm sure there will be more to follow.:cool:

Sounds like fun. You probably will get hooked and come back for more. Europe is in an economic difficulty. They need stimulus from rich American retirees. :)

We book those high speed trains in Europe. Upgraded to semi-private room. Downtown to downtown. Sure you can fly cheaper if you want the hassle.

Once we were stranded in SF because of the PNW icestorm and the airline said we could get out on Jan 6th (our scheduled flight was due to arrive home at 8pm Dec 31). So we called Amtrak and got the last room on their Starlight Express to Seattle. Much more fun than flying.

We have also done relocation cruises from Vancouver to SF and back.

I took the Frecciarossa from Florence to Venice last week.

I think the fastest it went was about 177 km/hour.

No special rooms, just took second class. Comfortable seats but no dedicated space for large suitcases.

Again, the market god just blew away a 6-figure sum off the top of my stash, and in a matter of a couple of days too.

Darn! He always beats me to it.

Professional painters arrive Thursday morning. They are to do the screened-in porch, deck, and stairs, which badly need staining (I already removed the screens and will put them back) and paint the foyer, kitchen, family room, dining room, living room and all trim.

This will be interesting. I've never hired painters before, always having done it myself. But with knee, back, shoulder and cardiac issues the reality is that I would be unwise to try. And the family room has a vaulted ceiling over the stairway to the basement - I'm curious to see if they'll use ladders or a scaffolding to get to the wall and ceiling there. But it is certain that I'm not gonna paint it!:eek:

Professional painters arrive Thursday morning. They are to do the screened-in porch, deck, and stairs, which badly need staining (I already removed the screens and will put them back) and paint the foyer, kitchen, family room, dining room, living room and all trim.

This will be interesting. I've never hired painters before, always having done it myself. But with knee, back, shoulder and cardiac issues the reality is that I would be unwise to try. And the family room has a vaulted ceiling over the stairway to the basement - I'm curious to see if they'll use ladders or a scaffolding to get to the wall and ceiling there. But it is certain that I'm not gonna paint it!:eek:

Great way to Blow That Dough! I hired a painter to paint all of the interior walls of my old house back in 2011, and was very happy with the outcome. And yes, with that vaulted ceiling that you have over the stairway, it sounds potentially dangerous so why risk it.

Just got tickets to go see Carol Burnett doing live comedy.

Rented a Lamborghini Huracan for a day. A little over $800 after taxes and fees. It was a blast. Unfortunately used up all 100 free miles before the 24 hours was up.

Now this brings us back to the spirit of the thread.

I have not done anything remotely fun. I did buy a car in June (A Honda Accord Hybrid) which is pretty fancy to me but really a practical needed utility. Now I need to plan a road trip to make use of that mileage boost.

Bought $550 worth of red ginseng returning from Korea trip. It is proven to have lots of health benefits including preventing certain cancers.

Bought a used luxury car for 50k, 1st time buying used, and 1st time buying a car over $40k.

After LBYM until I was 60, I glad that at times spending which once would have been unthinkable is now the obvious choice.

Last month I bought a second copy of the camera body I have because there I times when I want to switch between using 2 lenses without changing lenses.

My next trip includes an overnight stay in Munich before an early flight. Of course I stayed at the airport Hilton (167 €) instead of the wait-for-the-shuttle Holiday Inn Express (135 €) or a hostel in town. Am flying business class from Lisbon (478 € v 139 €) because priority security line, priority boarding, and 2 8kg carry-on bags are examples of luxuries once sampled that became necessities.

Last edited:
Am flying business class from Lisbon (478 € v 139 €) because priority security line, priority boarding, and 2 8kg carry-on bags are examples of luxuries once sampled that became necessities.

A friend of mine made the mistake of purchasing a last minute upgrade deal to premium economy on a flight to Hawaii. Now his wife insists on the premium service on every fight over 3 hours. :(

Last edited:
OK, here goes. Background on this is DW hates flying (just won't do it at this point) and I really dislike driving more than about 3 hours at a time. But I really want to do some vacation time.

Gave DW the gift of any rail vacation she wanted. We decided on the Chicago to Grand Canyon trip, 5 days, coming up soon. Long enough to get somewhere I've never seen, short enough that if we hate it, we just chalk it up as an experience.

But since we don't travel much, I went for every possible upgrade available. Blow that dough! Too bad we didn't book a year or more ahead of time, some of the best things are booked.

I added the helicopter tour, DW would not want to partake! I'm hoping I like it, the reviews fro m people on this forum and others are sort of love it or hate it, but most of the hate is for things we won't care about (delays - who cares if we are late?).

These Amtrak tours are not cheap. I think I did a European trip for less (with my buddy, since DW won't fly), but I think it will be better for us than driving/flying. I hope so, I'd like to do more in the future, I have spent almost no time out East.

And on the other end of the spectrum, my back was acting up, so I 'splurged and bought the 25# bags of water softener salt, so much easier to carry than the 40# or 50# bags, and more convenient than splitting the large bags into a bucket. Blow that dough indeed! :)

-ERD50

Hope to hear good things back about your trip! I have been interested in doing a rail trip, but DH not so much.

I've decided to repair my 99 suburban with checkbook. New experience in blowin' dough. Had bad fuel pump (40 gallon tank 3/4 full), and leaky radiator. While at it had all hoses changed. And oil and filter change.
Then my 2012 Caddy threw speed sensor fail, which by design requires a hub change since speed sensor is integral. Took shop major effort to remove old.
Anothe checkbook fix.

Actually glad I did not have to do them, both are messy enough even if have a lift.

And six new GC2 batteries for the camp.

Not FIRE yet but life goes on. Took delivery (nirmally we cheap out and haul ourselves but it was fun watching the guys struggle) with new Thomas Cole mattress. Not as nice as a cpl of the 3 to 4k beds and I passed on the 3 way vibrating bed frame...

Was a nice upgrade...especiacilly since mother hen might be making her nest one final time here :)

Since we aren't FIRE our big blow ur dough purchases are usually well planned. Occasionally surprises come up.

After a DIY rear brake on the car and all 4 on the 1/2 ton @60k we are also now due for new tires and a battery come Q4.

We also sprung for the Luxery sedan on our upcoming first ever post kid trip WITHOUT kids. I think they give us an XTS or similar. I couldn't justify the Stingray upgrade at 3X(Luxery$)

Been up to 300km/hr in France. So smooth too - hardly feel the acceleration.

Great deal on first class in TGV if you book 90 days ahead. And refundable too minus small fee.

After LBYM until I was 60, I am glad that at times spending which once would have been unthinkable is now the obvious choice.

Last month I bought a second copy of the camera body I have because there I times when I want to switch between using 2 lenses without changing lenses.

I have been doing this for years. You can lose a shot in the time it takes to change lenses, but mostly I do not want the camera open to the dirt and dust. I have one full frame with a 16-35mm and an APS-C with an 18-200mm, so the focal ranges are very different.

I have two bodies but not the same model.

But no way can I pack both of them for international trips, much less hike around all day with both.

I have two bodies but not the same model.

But no way can I pack both of them for international trips, much less hike around all day with both.

I have a camera bag that holds both cameras with lens on. I put that in a backpack as a carry-on for flights. Definitely not checking the cameras. I take both of them hiking, plus tripod and a case for filters. Yes, it's a bit heavy but it's what I am used to.

Finally got off my duff, after research and visiting dealers, and bought a "new used" SUV. Great shape, low mileage. I'm not a big fancy "accessories" person, but it did have a tow hitch so that gives DW and I some additional travel/camping options.

While not brand new, since I now have 2 cars to myself, it is a want, not a need, so I'm happy. :)

Back
Top Bottom