Blow That Dough! - 2019

What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"

We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.

Yeah Baby! Write that big check, it's fun!

We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.
Wow, a huge difference in price! OMG!

If we had a true free market, the above price difference would not happen.

The above price ratio of 25x is a lot more than the average as reported in the following article, which says 16x between the US and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-u-s-pays-3-times-more-for-drugs/

Cephelonia or Milos, shoulder season. Was looking at Santorini, but the cost and crowds turned me away. I hate dealing with the logistics, so we’ll pick single island and camp out for a few weeks, maybe with 1-2 moves at most. Don’t need to see anything famous either, so probably minimal time in Athens. Just want to sit in cafes, and kayak and drive around as much as we want.

Which islands do you enjoy??

We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. It’s a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.

We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. It’s a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.

Glad you loved Milos. Will plan to go eventually. Smaller is fine with us. Saves time running around. Will look into Naxos too.

One of the many appeals of the Greek isles, is the relatively low cost of food and lodging.

Santorini lodging isn't cheap is it?

If we had a true free market, the above price difference would not happen.

The above price ratio of 25x is a lot more than the average as reported in the following article, which says 16x between the US and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-u-s-pays-3-times-more-for-drugs/

The problem is that we don't have a free market. Even if you buy prescriptions through your insurance company designated PBM, you will often pay 2-3 times the price of someone using a coupon and bypassing the PBM. This is the case for many generic drugs. Fortunately for me, I don't need any prescription drugs but many woman that reach their late 40's or early 50's are prescribed drugs by the OBGyn to maintain their bone mass and to mitigate other woman's health issues. The pharma companies know this and are making a fortune by hiking prices. For those of us that are early retirees that are on high deductible insurance plans, this becomes a problem. So the free market is working for me and many others by bypassing the corrupt system here and buying drugs in Canada.

Got 10 pounds of Alaska Halibut fillets in today, 1 pound going on the barbee soon - :)

The problem is that we don't have a free market. Even if you buy prescriptions through your insurance company designated PBM, you will often pay 2-3 times the price of someone using a coupon and bypassing the PBM. This is the case for many generic drugs. Fortunately for me, I don't need any prescription drugs but many woman that reach their late 40's or early 50's are prescribed drugs by the OBGyn to maintain their bone mass and to mitigate other woman's health issues. The pharma companies know this and are making a fortune by hiking prices. For those of us that are early retirees that are on high deductible insurance plans, this becomes a problem. So the free market is working for me and many others by bypassing the corrupt system here and buying drugs in Canada.

so flying to mexico or Canada for the drugs isnt a free market?

so flying to mexico or Canada for the drugs isnt a free market?

No.

A free market would allow a business like Costco or Walgreen to buy the cheap drug from abroad and import them, and save the US consumers the hassle of making a trip abroad just to buy some medicine.

The fact that no business or entrepreneur has taken up this endeavor tells me that there are likely laws prohibiting it. I have not researched it, so perhaps I am all wrong. In that case, someone with the right info please correct me.

I got a buddy who's into RC (radio control) cars. 4x4 crawlers to be exact. Even more exact, scale vehicles where everything is built to scale and looks as close to full sized vehicles as they can get.

So he got me hooked. I've spent at least $2,000 getting into the hobby and probably another $500 a month there after.

Here's an example of just the paint detail in a couple photos. This is a 1956 Ford F150 truck. It starts out as a clear Lexan shell and is painted up to look old and rusty.
Keep in mind; this body is about 12 1/2 inches long.

For a full story about this truck and a bunch of photos as the build progressed, here's the link;
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/the-ugly-truckling.58327/

slvrails-jpg.36175

From the coat hanger antenna, bird poop on the windshield and rag in the gas tank filler, the detail is amazing.

dirt4-jpg.37138

Last edited:
I cant believe I did this

DW and I are in the Med this month for my retirement celebration. Today during our cruise we just spent $400 for a couples oil massage with hot stones.

First time massages; quite possibly the most decadent thing done in my life. (And yes, thoroughly enjoyed)

After a lifetime of frugality, blow that dough. :dance:

No.

A free market would allow a business like Costco or Walgreen to buy the cheap drug from abroad and import them, and save the US consumers the hassle of making a trip abroad just to buy some medicine.

The fact that no business or entrepreneur has taken up this endeavor tells me that there are likely laws prohibiting it. I have not researched it, so perhaps I am all wrong. In that case, someone with the right info please correct me.

Here are the rules regarding the importation of prescription drugs from Canada:

https://www.pharmacycheckerblog.com/personal-drug-importation-is-protected-by-congress

They are basically looking the other way with respect to importation for personal use. They understand the predicament many seniors face with rising cost of prescription drugs so they are allowing patients to cross the border and buy prescription drugs in Canada. This has been going on for a long time.

"Customs and Border Patrol Cannot Use Funds to Stop Personal Imports Carried by Patients

For several years, a provision has usually been included in Homeland Security appropriations bills that prohibit funds from going toward preventing individuals from importing medicine for personal use from Canada that they physically carry themselves. In this case, Congress explicitly cuts funding to stop enforcement action to prevent personal drug importation.

See: Section 206 of H.R.244 – Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017

The imports must be FDA-approved drugs: those would include medications made in the U.S. and those made in foreign manufacturing plants registered with FDA, which are also sold in the U.S. However, many generic drugs and foreign versions of FDA-approved drugs would not technically be allowed under this policy.

This is yet another clear example of Congress siding with patients on illegal personal importation."

We are back from our Las Vegas trip. We certainly "blew that dough" on sightseeing, shows, entertainment (like the canal ride at the Venetian) and taxis. Even a limo to/from the airport just to give DW that "rich" feeling :). Interestingly going for the buffets at the "high class" hotels somehow kept our food bill down a lot lower than we thought. Our total was twice as much as we could have spent, but it was worth it. We are not gamblers so we did not choose to blow that dough in that manner. :)

Even when I splurge, I have to save money. It's a curse :(

After five or so years of doing PC/Android we're going back to Apple. Because we can. Also because I'm trying to make sure that if I kick the bucket the wife can more easily continue on with her phone, etc. without having me as her personal I.T. tech support person. Or something like that.

Any way, Mac mini and MacBook Air (refurb). iPhone 8. Two Series 3 watches. All with 3% cash back on the new Apple Card. Will sell the older iPhone 5s, Lenovo laptop and zBox desktop back in Mexico. Keeping the iPad. Not only do we achieve Apple ecosystem unity but everything stays *very* portable. Perfect for travel!

Not sure what else is significant about today beyond the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, but we celebrated it anyway with a Wagyu A5 steak (inspired by RobbieB).
IMG_2350.jpg

It was every bit as good as it looks. As close to a religious experience as you can have at the dinner table.

$45 on a haunted hayride + 3 mazes last night. It was good, I'm a big Halloween fan.

That is one magnificent rib-eye! Every bite must have dissolved in your mouth - :)

Back
Top Bottom