Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2019, 04:40 AM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last week spent a few nights in Nashville.
Last night we had 4 tickets to USWNT at the Linc.
As SIL remarked at dinner, we're done with the cheap sh*t!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #522
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought my first BMW, an R1200RT. Never would have thought it would be a motorcycle and not a car. I've gone through periods in my life where I would lust after a BMW 3-Series. Fortunately, my FIRE plans kept me from biting that bullet. Now I'm throwing caution to the wind and reliving the carefree motorcycle riding of my youth--before I can't!

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:27 AM   #523
Moderator Emeritus

Went on a spending spree at REI. Hiking shoes, coat, shirts, gloves to get me through the winter.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought another boat this weekend. It's mostly for the kids to use and to have a boat at the camp when DH is fishing in Louisiana as he likes to do in the winter. DH says he got a great deal on it. It isn't new and will need a little work. Youngest son is thrilled and spent most of the day cleaning it, and stocking it, and grinning like it was Christmas morning. The smile on his face after the test drive was worth every penny.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #525
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
We bought another boat this weekend.....
Finer words have never been written.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finer words have never been written.
LOL!!! Made my Tuesday!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #527

This is a three part series of our installation of BTD Fall 2019.

Our bed was way overdue, so we landed on some $1600 Thomas Cole pillow top. They ALMOST had me sold on the power adjustable frame, but I decided I could just buy the most expensive pillows ever and accomplish the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

My washer and dryer repairs only held up so long, the dryer needs another new wheel, and the washer is totally out of balance even after I replaced the bearing, the new one is also having issues and squeaking. WE ARE DONE with agitating front loaders. Modifying the laundry room to accommodate a pair of top load GE. Head bad things about Samsung and decided against the more expensive, less reviewed and non USA company LG to settle on a $1350 set. After our 10% off, plus the 5% cash back category, our $200 statement credit and what looks to be a State rebate of $45 we managed to shave off like $350 from retail. WINNING.

Next up is 2 sets of new tires, one for the car, one for the truck. Should run around 1k as well.

These are more needs than wants.

Will be blowing about $600 for BOGO companion certs for our annual Florida trip to the Villages in January. No way I am sticking around all winter for the 'Polar Coaster'

I had to laugh, was blowing the FIL dough this weekend, dining out at a fancy supper club on the lake and noticed for the first time ever, Wagyu 'Gold" center cut. I had to think of RobbieB and it made for a nice little conversation over dinner.

Take a looksie:
wagyu.JPG

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Bought my first BMW, an R1200RT. Never would have thought it would be a motorcycle and not a car. I've gone through periods in my life where I would lust after a BMW 3-Series. Fortunately, my FIRE plans kept me from biting that bullet. Now I'm throwing caution to the wind and reliving the carefree motorcycle riding of my youth--before I can't!
I have one of those! You're gonna love it! Very comfy, lots of power, light weight (relatively) and very stable
Old 09-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #529
Recycles dryer sheets

Considering buying an electric Zero DSR motorycle for buzzing around locally. Currently, on lazy days, I'll go for a 2-3 hour drive, and an electric motorycle would add a unique flavor to the adventure. A premium price of $20k will be spent to outfit this adventure, but heck, SPEND THAT DOUGH!

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/
Old 09-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #530
Dryer sheet wannabe

Re Motorcycles -- I've had several, currently ride a 1996 R1100GS with 70K miles on it. Make sure you spend some money on quality gear -- riding suit, helmet, boots, gloves, and wear it! Worth every penny as you're sliding down the road on your *ss.

Re Zero -- looks like a really nice alternative to the real thing, but IMHO, way over priced. At 40+ mpg, I can buy a lot of gas for the premium price.

Ride Safe!
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #531
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
Re Motorcycles -- I've had several, currently ride a 1996 R1100GS with 70K miles on it. Make sure you spend some money on quality gear -- riding suit, helmet, boots, gloves, and wear it! Worth every penny as you're sliding down the road on your *ss.

Re Zero -- looks like a really nice alternative to the real thing, but IMHO, way over priced. At 40+ mpg, I can buy a lot of gas for the premium price.

Ride Safe!
Definitely buying the quality gear. The appeal for the electric is riding the local country roads in quiet. This will be a fun introduction into the EV world. Cost wise, lol, there's no way I can justify over a gasser.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 AM   #532

Having a new engine built for my 1969 Camaro...a 383 Chevy stroker with 450 HP. The current engine I built myself in the early 1980s...it's "tired". Looking forward to the install, which will be done in about 6 weeks.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #533

We bought this souped-up 2015 Club Car Precedent electric golf cart to ride around on our property, down to the river, over to the neighbors, out to the mailbox/trash can (both outside the gate to neighborhood), etc.,

This cart is intended to be a huntin' buggy, but I don't hunt at all. Besides driving it on our own property, there are several trails and barely traveled county roads (dirt) nearby. Being electric, it makes nature-watching A LOT better than any gas-powered vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy_09-2019.jpg (163.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #534
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Nice. You can blow more dough and put lithium batteries in it, if it does not have that already.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
^^^ Nice. You can blow more dough and put lithium batteries in it, if it does not have that already.
The lead-acid batteries in this are only about 1-year old, so I will hold onto them for a while. I will be watching the lithium battery conversion market price over the next couple of years.

Will lithium batteries follow Moore's law?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #536

Heading out on a RC New England/Canada cruise in 2 weeks. Balcony suite. Lots of lobster and steak dinners on the way! Yeah baby. . .
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #537
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
The lead-acid batteries in this are only about 1-year old, so I will hold onto them for a while. I will be watching the lithium battery conversion market price over the next couple of years.

Will lithium batteries follow Moore's law?
Not quite so far, although the price has been dropping. I love to see less expensive lithium battery. It would help a lot with renewable energy.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #538

Our new kitchen.

We waited a long time and I'm never doing this again so I tried not to look at prices when I picked things out. The countertops are quartz, which I had no idea was one of the most expensive types of material. It's called charcoal soapstone and it's a beautiful dark slate grey with subtle veining like natural soapstone.The tile is marble and was costly but I LOVED it when I saw it. The flooring is vinyl planks, they look just like wood and have a slight grain but you don't have to be concerned about water spots.

The refrigerator and dishwasher are new, I haven't replaced the stove yet, but that's coming. Also, we ran the flooring down the basement steps and included the stairway walls when the kitchen got painted. The cabinet to the left of the stove is deliberately shallower than the others because that's our main entrance from the garage and a full depth cabinet would make the entrance a little tight.

We are very happy with the results and just glad that it's DONE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126c.jpg (177.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126d.jpg (201.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126e.jpg (160.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #539
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful, SueJ!! I think that is one of the most lovely kitchens I have ever seen. I love your taste and choices in materials. I don't know if you changed the cabinetry, but I love those deep drawers instead of the usual lower cabinets. I also especially like your back splash and those under cabinet lights highlight it beautifully.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #540

Blow That Dough! - 2019

Yes, we changed the cabinets. The kitchen was from 1955! We also upgraded the electric and added plenty of outlets since we never had outlets where we needed them. We didn’t change the layout at all because I liked how the old kitchen operated, just everything was OLD.

All the new doors and drawers are “ soft close” and I got a lot of drawers instead of lower cabinets.

Here is a “before” pic.

IMG_1002.jpg