Blow That Dough! - 2019

Just hit a new all time high NW and a new $million multiple.
DW recently upgraded her iPhone from 6s to 11, and we have an Amish made king bed on order that she has wanted for years.
I have been eyeing a $1000 piece of art glass, and just yesterday a photographer friend let me know about a Nikon D850 body for sale used but virtually new-in-box. $500 off the recently reduced list price.
It still feels like grinding the gears to spend like that, but what's the $ for anyway?

...and just yesterday a photographer friend let me know about a Nikon D850 body for sale used but virtually new-in-box. $500 off the recently reduced list price.
It still feels like grinding the gears to spend like that, but what's the $ for anyway?

Nice deal! It's not really blowing dough - it's a necessity.

I just bought a slightly used 2008 18' car hauler trailer with a 2' beaver tail. It comes with 5 new tires, new lights, and a wood deck that I will need to treat, but still good, He also included a tongue box, ratchet straps, and a hitch lock all for $1300. This trailer new is twice that price. This will keep me from having to borrow my Dad's trailer every time something comes up.

I will be mounting a 9000# winch on the front to pull non-running cars/tractors up the ramps, and do a bit of repainting.

Last edited:
Not sure what else is significant about today beyond the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, but we celebrated it anyway with a Wagyu A5 steak (inspired by RobbieB).
View attachment 32897

It was every bit as good as it looks. As close to a religious experience as you can have at the dinner table.

I've never had a steak like that... I like well marbled steak, but that looks to me like more fat than meat.... I'm sure it tasted delicious. How did your cook it? I assume on a grill. Sear or reverse sear?

I've never had a steak like that... I like well marbled steak, but that looks to me like more fat than meat.... I'm sure it tasted delicious. How did your cook it? I assume on a grill. Sear or reverse sear?

It's recommended to cook it on stainless steel. Just 2-3 minutes per side. That Wagyu fat is different from what we're used to -- a very low melting point around 70-something degrees F. Melts in your mouth.

Intramuscular fat (marbling) is healthier than intermuscular fat (the thicker strip of fat).

Thought I’d never do it, but subscribed to the Adobe photo package (photoshop and Lightroom) for $10/month. Hate another ongoing cost, but chump change compared to all the photo hardware and travel costs.

Jus blew $4,000 on a 10 day fishing trip in Mexico and loved every second of it. I caught wahoo, tuna, grouper, yellow tail, bass.

The solar panels were turned on in early October, so......
we just traded in the Subaru Forester for a Chevy Bolt (14k off MSRP due to rebates, tax credit and BIL's Chevy Employee discount).
We were going to replace the Forester in 2-3 years, but the solar panels sped the timeline up. It's getting its first charge in the garage. This knocks about $300/month off our monthly bills.

Despite all our blowing, this year we will have spent a bit under the 4% SWR; next year, my half-time online gig runs out, so we'll probably just sit on some of that dough rather than blowing it so successfully.

Now, to replace the Silverado at some point down the road.

Last edited:
Gotta keep reminding myself not to take the bait...

The wahoo on my dinner plate said the same thing but could not resist the beautiful wahoo bombs.

Attachments

• CatchyBomb-kit.jpg
    CatchyBomb-kit.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 58
Got the DW into a new Volvo XC90 lease. The lease on my Maserati is up in February so started looking for the next one. Think I'll really blow that dow and get the Gran Tourismo.

Wow, just added up all the dough we blew so far in 2019 and it was bigger than I thought.

50,664 Home Improvements
68,052 Vacation
6,400 Watches
2,592 Peloton
10,837 Trips
1,007 Show Tickets
9,725 Clothes
9,083 Sick Cat
58,000 BMW X3
10,000 Gift to child

Dropped $10k at charity auction the other to surprise our 16 year old to meet her favorite pro athlete, hang out on field before game, watch game in a suite, team jerseys, blah, blah, blah. Will be a nice family memory (hopefully). At least some of it will be tax deductible.

The landscaper was over today, seventeen hundred for the plan and he estimates 40 grand for the execution.

But I'll no longer have the worst yard in the hood - :)

Back
Top Bottom