Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^ I feel your pain. Itís tough to blow that dough these days. Everything is on back order.

I reserved a Ford Bronco last July. It may be another year before I get it. I ordered an ebike for DW - itíll be at least another month before i get it. Same thing with a bike rack - 45 days out. 60 days before the bike shop can do a tune up on my bike. The camera I want is out of stock with no indication of when it will be available. My woodworking store doesnít have the hardwood I need.
Well, since I'm still really cheap, it's not that hard for me to say "next year. Or the year after". I've still got a fair amount of wood, and we can wait on the patio/deck. I'm not buying in a seller's market unless absolutely necessary. Guess I don't belong on this thread.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #742
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am sort of like Harley, I am FI, but find it hard to break the frugality barrier.
After reading about jamon de Iberico, i was curious about it. I found some sliced in 2 ounce packages on Amazon and bought a couple. The ham was excellent.
Also with all the talk of Wagyu beef, I waned to taste it. My local gourmet restaurant featured Wagyu burgers on night, so DW and got some. They were also excellent.
OTOH, I am the guy who spent $2500 to fly a P-51 and $2200 to fly a MiG-15
YMMV
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #743

This is domestically grown sirloin beef sold at a run-of-the-mill supermarket in Tokyo. (My mom lives in Tokyo and I took this photo when I was visiting her last January.) Super marbled by the American standard and it costs about $61 USD per pound. (This is not Kobe beef or any well-known brand beef by the way... Just sayin’.)

Not my thing. Way too marbled for my liking. YMMV.

wagyu.jpg
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #744
Give me a forum ...

That's what the Snake River stuff costs. Yeah, not Japanese wagyu, that stuff is over $200
Old 04-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #745
Give me a forum ...

There are a lot of restaurants listing Waygu beef on their menus, for things like $15 burgers.

Can't be the $200 a pound stuff right?

I remember seeing a lot of Waygu on the menus in Sydney as well.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #746
Give me a forum ...

There are many different grades and ground beef is just that.

This stuff is a bargain at $10/oz
Old 04-17-2021, 09:12 PM   #747

^ Holy Smokes!! To expensive for my blood. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #748

Wagyu is highly marketed beef - like tomahawk steaks - marketing.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
There are many different grades and ground beef is just that.

This stuff is a bargain at $10/oz
You always find the tip of the top, Robbie.....

Have you tried Mauinui deer? It is not cheap, but not in the crowdcow category..... anyway, a really interesting background story of wildlife management, carefully controlled harvesting, etc of this wild (but non-native) deer species on the smaller Hawaiian islands.
It is quite delicious (not ďgameyĒ at all). Not sure Iím allowed to give a direct link but it is simply maui nui venison dot com (no spaces)
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #750
Give me a forum ...

If you explore the crowdcow site you will also find "American Wagyu" as well as wagyu burgers and even trim for a price that makes a $15 burger quite possible.

American wagyu is best described as "over prime" as we do not have the extensive grading system of the Japanese. I've never tasted Japanese wagyu, maybe soon. I am a fan of American "over prime" but it's a treat and not a staple.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I've never tasted Japanese wagyu, maybe soon.
Costco runs a promotion every autumn for a Japanese Wagyu A5 ribeye roast. I bought one a couple of years ago -- $999 for a 12 pounder. Cut it into about 15 steaks (cut thin because it's so rich) and enjoyed them for the next year. There's really nothing that can compare to the real thing, not even SRF's best stuff.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #752
Give me a forum ...

OMG!

And here ya go! It’s available $950 from Costco, overnight shipping included!

Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast, A5 Grade, 12 lbs
https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagy...100311435.html

That’s $79.12 a pound.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:18 PM   #753
Give me a forum ...

^ That is a bit expensive for me to be just the middle man in passing it through.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
^ That is a bit expensive for me to be just the middle man in passing it through.
I'd never pay that but $40 ($79 a pound) is the going rate in many restaurants for an 8 ounce steak steak dinner.

I had an 8 ounce ribeye at home last night, along with side dishes and a couple beer it cost me about $15 but at a restaurant I would have paid $40 - $60.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #755

Costco occasionally has Prime Rib eye Cap steaks for around $20 a pound. That is my favorite steak by far. However I've never tried Waygu...
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #756

This is probably a stupid knee jerk reaction to babysitting my sister's not-completely-housebroken rescue puppy....

In 2005 I took off for a weekend and my sprinkler system decided to water my family room carpet. I cut it back and let it dry out. Getting back to the puppy .... he decided to find & shred the pad. Then he decided to poop on the recent (2010) living room carpet. Yeah. NOT.MY.DOG. So I made an appointment to have 1 professional cleaned and replacing the other [+ kitchen / laundry room / bath] with wood. I think. They're coming out next week to give estimates. It's only about 1000 sq ft. I've got a week to figure out either:
- oak (already have some of that)
- bamboo
- laminate or is it engineered?? Really clueless
WWYD?
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:23 PM   #757
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am sort of like Harley, I am FI, but find it hard to break the frugality barrier.
After reading about jamon de Iberico, i was curious about it. I found some sliced in 2 ounce packages on Amazon and bought a couple. The ham was excellent.
Also with all the talk of Wagyu beef, I waned to taste it. My local gourmet restaurant featured Wagyu burgers on night, so DW and got some. They were also excellent.
YMMV
That's a good spend
Old 04-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #758
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
YMMV
It's all about priorities.

Just because you spend a lot on one thing doesn't mean you spend a lot on everything.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #759
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
This is probably a stupid knee jerk reaction to babysitting my sister's not-completely-housebroken rescue puppy....

In 2005 I took off for a weekend and my sprinkler system decided to water my family room carpet. I cut it back and let it dry out. Getting back to the puppy .... he decided to find & shred the pad. Then he decided to poop on the recent (2010) living room carpet. Yeah. NOT.MY.DOG. So I made an appointment to have 1 professional cleaned and replacing the other [+ kitchen / laundry room / bath] with wood. I think. They're coming out next week to give estimates. It's only about 1000 sq ft. I've got a week to figure out either:
- oak (already have some of that)
- bamboo
- laminate or is it engineered?? Really clueless
WWYD?

Personally I'd do oak in the kitchen and tile in the laundry /bath areas. Of course I am biased as that is what we did except it was wide pine instead of oak. Not a big fan of wood floors in a bathroom.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #760
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It's all about priorities.

Just because you spend a lot on on thing doesn't mean you spend a lot of everything.
Exactly.

It's all about choices and priorities. A limitless supply of cash not withstanding, we must all choose that which we want to blow the dough on. And I'm sure that's what we all do.