Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a nice boat!

Now, you've got to post about your cruising the bay and fishing trips. Can you take it up the coast?

PS. I know nothing about boats. I do know that they guzzle a lot of fuel, hence the range may be limited depending on the fuel tanks.

Yes, they do guzzle fuel; it gets ~1mi/gal @ cruising speed. She holds 700 gal of diesel so, my practical cruising range is 550-600 miles with some reserve. It will travel up/down the coast but, it's not a 'round the world' boat like some of the larger trawlers (more fuel efficient & much more fuel capacity). I bought her in Marina Del Rey and came up the coast to SF Bay. My credit card almost melted when I filled up before the journey.

Wow!
Way out of my league but I just know you'll enjoy the heck out of it for years to come. Congratulations!

Thanks. I've spent a fair amount of time on boats but, believe it or not, this is my first 'owned' boat. I wanted something big enough to live on (edging toward that) but, it had to be affordable for someone who's not a gazillionaire. So, that meant a high quality, older boat that's seen a lot of love. I looked for 6-9 mos with a great yacht broker and found this one; now named (properly renamed) "3 Roys."

Very nice! Yeah unity gas mileage. Some friends of my parents back in Detroit bought a 38 foot ChrisCraft powered by (2) 327 cu-in chevys and it got 1g/mi (or 1 mi/g) also.

Have big fun!

First time posting to this thread. But, I figured this probably qualifies. I bought a BOAT. It's in caps because, as I've learned, it's not a "thing", it's an "acronym": Break Out Another Thousand. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, spending almost every weekend on it.

Beautiful boat. Enjoy.

Yes, they do guzzle fuel; it gets ~1mi/gal @ cruising speed. She holds 700 gal of diesel so, my practical cruising range is 550-600 miles with some reserve. It will travel up/down the coast but, it's not a 'round the world' boat like some of the larger trawlers (more fuel efficient & much more fuel capacity). I bought her in Marina Del Rey and came up the coast to SF Bay. My credit card almost melted when I filled up before the journey.

Thanks. I've spent a fair amount of time on boats but, believe it or not, this is my first 'owned' boat. I wanted something big enough to live on (edging toward that) but, it had to be affordable for someone who's not a gazillionaire. So, that meant a high quality, older boat that's seen a lot of love. I looked for 6-9 mos with a great yacht broker and found this one; now named (properly renamed) "3 Roys."

I'm flashing back to the days of Dory 36 and his exploits. I'd never want to live on a boat, but Dory made it sound glamorous. YMMV

Very nice! Yeah unity gas mileage. Some friends of my parents back in Detroit bought a 38 foot ChrisCraft powered by (2) 327 cu-in chevys and it got 1g/mi (or 1 mi/g) also.

Have big fun!

Mine is similar with two Detroit Diesel 8V71Ts powering her.

Hopefully it wasn't your second happiest day owning the boat.:D

Nah, the boat was nice, but I had not fully considered the level of effort of even moving up to 24' center console - lots of work.

The Admiral decided she didn't like the role of First Officer, either ... nor the cleanup at the marina :). And, she had zero interest in offshore (50 mile) fishing in any size boat. Been out a few time with buddies - lots of work :)

So, gonna rethink and get smaller boat I can more happily manage by myself ...

Finally, I know those herein will be interested - resale prices in my area on boats are so high, I can replace it with a new one for what I sold it for. Gotta drive a few hours, though, and wait a few months.

Finally, I know those herein will be interested - resale prices in my area on boats are so high, I can replace it with a new one for what I sold it for. Gotta drive a few hours, though, and wait a few months.

Same here. Boats are going for over asking and my yacht broker just told me he's out of inventory at the moment.

When I bought my boat three years ago, the dealers in my area were "near criminal" in their approach to commodity boats like mine. I refused to participate and found an honest, fair margin dealer in NC - great guy, fair and great with any follow-up.

The local dealers weren't even going to kiss me.

Nah, the boat was nice, but I had not fully considered the level of effort of even moving up to 24' center console - lots of work.

The Admiral decided she didn't like the role of First Officer, either ... nor the cleanup at the marina :). And, she had zero interest in offshore (50 mile) fishing in any size boat. Been out a few time with buddies - lots of work :)

So, gonna rethink and get smaller boat I can more happily manage by myself ...

Hmmm. I would have thought the Admiral would have simply said "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" I guess YMMV.

Yes, they do guzzle fuel; it gets ~1mi/gal @ cruising speed. She holds 700 gal of diesel so, my practical cruising range is 550-600 miles with some reserve. It will travel up/down the coast but, it's not a 'round the world' boat like some of the larger trawlers (more fuel efficient & much more fuel capacity). I bought her in Marina Del Rey and came up the coast to SF Bay. My credit card almost melted when I filled up before the journey...

You are retired, so there's no need to go fast, particularly if you are going on a long trip. Going slower may improve your fuel mileage by 2x or 3x perhaps? I was thinking about the possibility of going up to the Puget Sound and further to Vancouver Island.

However, the SF Bay is big enough to explore, plus there's Dungeness crab there to catch without going further north.

For me it's easier and cheaper. The Delta is 10 miles away (marina with slips) and all that's needed is a outboard fishing boat.

And I don't mean a 200 HP Bass boat.

Huston55 >>> Wow, now that is a boat!! You deserve the title of Captain.

First time posting to this thread. But, I figured this probably qualifies. I bought a BOAT. It's in caps because, as I've learned, it's not a "thing", it's an "acronym": Break Out Another Thousand. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, spending almost every weekend on it.

That looks like a BOATT - break out another 10 thousand to me!

Congrats!

Last edited:
It probably doesn't qualify as "blowing that dough", but I am using my boots and hiking gear a lot more in retirement. Therefore, I'm dirtying it up and wearing it out. I've spent a good chunk of the weekend washing and maintaining gear.

Since my last pair of boots held up barely a year, I also need to take a step up in quality. I like fairly lightweight boots, but they also don't offer enough protection for the soles of my feet. An extra 6-8 ounces, and $50-75 for all-polyurethane, vs EVA foam midsoles is called for. Going rate seems to be $200-250 a pair for something like this.

https://www.rei.com/product/165950/oboz-bridger-premium-mid-bdry-hiking-boots-mens.

What will qualify as "blowing that dough" is a major investment in ultralight backpacking gear to take five pounds off my back for backpacking. At 60+, going from 19-20 pounds plus food/water, to 14 pounds would be a huge deal. Probably about a $2000 investment.

Don't have any trips planned in the next six weeks, and won't complete the process by then, so I have some shopping time. More later.

Last edited:
It probably doesn't qualify as "blowing that dough", but I am using my boots and hiking gear a lot more in retirement. Therefore, I'm dirtying it up and wearing it out. I've spent a good chunk of the weekend washing and maintaining gear.

Since my last pair of boots held up barely a year, I also need to take a step up in quality. I like fairly lightweight boots, but they also don't offer enough protection for the soles of my feet. An extra 6-8 ounces, and $50-75 for all-polyurethane, vs EVA foam midsoles is called for. Going rate seems to be $200-250 a pair for something like this.

https://www.rei.com/product/165950/oboz-bridger-premium-mid-bdry-hiking-boots-mens.

What will qualify as "blowing that dough" is a major investment in ultralight backpacking gear to take five pounds off my back for backpacking. At 60+, going from 19-20 pounds plus food/water, to 14 pounds would be a huge deal. Probably about a $2000 investment.

Don't have any trips planned in the next six weeks, and won't complete the process by then, so I have some shopping time. More later.

I bought those same boots after ~1600 miles of hiking wore out my North Face boots. LOVE the Oboz. I too need a firm hard sole and ankle support. I think I paid $146 for mine. Highly recommend them.

I bought those same boots after ~1600 miles of hiking wore out my North Face boots. LOVE the Oboz. I too need a firm hard sole and ankle support. I think I paid $146 for mine. Highly recommend them.
1600 miles is impressive; I've gotten between 250 and 500 miles out of my last three pairs.

My local Martin's grocery had the Cooper & Thief bourbon barrel wine on sale for $27. $21.59 if you bought 6. I put one in my cart, thought about it for about 15 seconds, then piled another 5 bottles in the cart. Too good to pass up!

I would love to get it for $21.59.

Finally got around to trading my 2001 corvette for a 2021 Jeep Wrangler.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
Finally got around to trading my 2001 corvette for a 2021 Jeep Wrangler.

Very nice and really does put me in mind of my dad's Willys Overland. Too bad I don't have it now - especially the condition my dad sold it in. Would be worth a fair chunk of money. It was solid maroon and no fake wood look IIRC. Sharp - as those things could be back in 1951. YMMV

Very nice and really does put me in mind of my dad's Willys Overland. Too bad I don't have it now - especially the condition my dad sold it in. Would be worth a fair chunk of money. It was solid maroon and no fake wood look IIRC. Sharp - as those things could be back in 1951. YMMV

I know what you mean. It would be nice to have the vehicles of yesteryear in the shape that they were back then. My dad had a Ford F100 back in the 60's. Wish I had it now - he sold it just before I got my drivers license. Probably a smart move.

Well, I tried to Blow That Dough.

I ordered a new purse from a leather goods company that I've been following for a while. They were featured on a startup company show a few years ago and I still get their emails. Looked like nice stuff. But I'm a small purse person and all their bags were large. Even their idea of a small purse was too big for me. And I'm a one purse at a time gal. I find one I like and keep it a long time. I don't change purses for outfits or seasons.

A few days ago I got an email from them with a new product. It's a small purse, just my size in a leather color that I love. It's EX$PEN$IVE and that's fine. DH and I get monthly cash to spend on whatever and I never spend mine, it gets put in a canister with the last few years of monthly cash that I never spend. So I'm ripe for buying something overpriced that I'll love!

It came today and I'm so disappointed! The size and function are perfect but this one is deformed. I could exchange it for a replacement but feeling the leather it just doesn't feel like I expected. The leather is hard and stiff and I expected scrumptious leather that you want to hold and touch. It doesn't feel like the leather I want to keep for years. Maybe it would soften up but it's just not what I want in a purse at that price.

So disappointed! I used the company portal to start a return and it's already shipped back for a refund. Darn, I'm so ready to Blow That Dough and this just isn't the right purse.

From the website - https://fountleather.com/collection...ington-wallet-on-strap?variant=39622453985454

And mine -

Attachments

• AA6F1696-8C7D-4DF4-95EA-51AD3C336901.jpeg
    AA6F1696-8C7D-4DF4-95EA-51AD3C336901.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 66

I know what you mean. It would be nice to have the vehicles of yesteryear in the shape that they were back then. My dad had a Ford F100 back in the 60's. Wish I had it now - he sold it just before I got my drivers license. Probably a smart move.

I am not a car person, and have not owned that many cars in my life.

I do not wish to have any of those cars now, even if new. Older cars would not be as comfortable as today's cars, and the performance was not that great either.

Yes, I remember the fond time when I had them, but that memory was more than about the cars. I was so much younger, and that era was what I reminisce about, not just the cars. Me driving them now would not be the same as the 20-year-old me driving them back then. It's sad, but you cannot relive the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom