Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK DH really blew it!

Attachments

• B6BE4ACA-E042-4050-96C6-F439F464C96F.jpeg
    B6BE4ACA-E042-4050-96C6-F439F464C96F.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 85
I'll have a few shavings off the Jamon por favor! Nice blow - :)

I bought a nice condo in a high rise downtown on Thursday. Can’t wait to move in!!

Not sure it actually counts as blowing-that-dough ('cause it wasn't fun) but I got my first round of meds for the year. Most were really cheap. One med cost upwards of $400 for 3 months. The nice lady at the counter warned me it was going to be expensive. I told her it was "moderately better than dying.":facepalm: No generics available and meds in the same class have WAY worse side-effect profiles. So, I revert to my standby logic: What better way could you spend your money than on your health - and survival?" Hey, BLOW that dough! YMMV

I bought a nice condo in a high rise downtown on Thursday. Can’t wait to move in!!

Well that certainly qualifies! Enjoy. Makes the 4 new snow tires and wheels I just bought seem a little silly in comparison but hey it was $1070.

Just paid 3k to have my convertible hard top BMW roof fixed. They had the car for 3 weeks.
They threw in a "free" full detailing. lol

Bought 1st class tickets for a fall trip to Europe (hopefully). Still planning to remodel the den in Tudor style oak.

I'd love to see the pics of the den when the remodel is done.

The contractor is running behind in getting the plan together. We really like this guy and he is exceptionally good, but he is super busy and short on staff.

Not sure it actually counts as blowing-that-dough ('cause it wasn't fun) but I got my first round of meds for the year. Most were really cheap. One med cost upwards of $400 for 3 months. The nice lady at the counter warned me it was going to be expensive. I told her it was "moderately better than dying.":facepalm: No generics available and meds in the same class have WAY worse side-effect profiles. So, I revert to my standby logic: What better way could you spend your money than on your health - and survival?" Hey, BLOW that dough! YMMV
We paid for our son's medication at $600 a month (out of pocket) for 3 years until generic became available which is now $12 a month. We had a separate line item in our budget for pharmacy during those years. I feel you.

Last edited:
Bought farm implements totaling $3500 this month: Rotary tiller, stump bucket and pallet forks. Plan is to clear some land to build a "bigger than the house" shop which will be another big Blow That Dough.

I've been in the Sauna planning stages for a while. My son and I started building a couple days ago. We started with the floor, so far we have only framed, insulated, put in a vapor barrier and covered the floor. I'm buying framing materials for the walls today. I still have not found T&G Cedar that I'm happy with, I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot, still need to look further. I expect to spend $1200 to $1500, it could be more.

Thanks to Out-to-Lunch and Braumeister for the input on the wood.
I'm sending out emails to the Sauna kit companies. I don't see any that specifically say the sell just the wood, but I'm asking anyway.
Do you have any sauna companies in mind for just the wood?
I'm in Florida, I'd like to avoid shipping cost from the Pacific Northwest!

Thanks to Out-to-Lunch and Braumeister for the input on the wood.
I'm sending out emails to the Sauna kit companies. I don't see any that specifically say the sell just the wood, but I'm asking anyway.
Do you have any sauna companies in mind for just the wood?
I'm in Florida, I'd like to avoid shipping cost from the Pacific Northwest!

It appears the place I bought mine from, called finn-tastic.com, has gone out of business. I am sorry, but I don't know of others. I suspect, but don't know, that the "kit" places you can find may be responsive to a request for materials.

Since I last wrote, I remembered that I did purchase some cedar T&G from a local lumber store. (I decided to finish off some of the rest of the basement with T&G cedar.) It was not clear cedar, but knotty. I was able to go to my local independent lumber yard and order it.

We settled into our Palm Springs condo which we rented from mid Jan thru the end of April. We rented it last year and invited friends and family to visit but most had to cancel dur to the virus. So we rented it again this year thinking we would invite friends and family - oops. It's 3 bedrooms for the two of us.

We are enjoying it. It's an easy walk to downtown, has 3 tennis courts and 8 pools and spas. All of the spas are heated but only 2 pools at a time.

Still planning to remodel the den in Tudor style oak.

I'd love to see the pics of the den when the remodel is done.

The contractor is running behind in getting the plan together. We really like this guy and he is exceptionally good, but he is super busy and short on staff.

The contractor is coming over this week with the preliminary plan and his carpenter. We are also planning to refurnish the room. We have had a cheap, particle board, horizontal, two drawer file cabinet for many years. Gonna replace it with one Amish made from solid, quarter sawn oak - $1300 (plus tax).

Well that certainly qualifies! Enjoy. Makes the 4 new snow tires and wheels I just bought seem a little silly in comparison but hey it was $1070.

Is that all? Got a great deal on the 1983 CJ8 Jeep Scrambler in late Nov (10K). Just put Mickey Thompsons (wheels and tires) all around for $2300.

Is that all? Got a great deal on the 1983 CJ8 Jeep Scrambler in late Nov (10K). Just put Mickey Thompsons (wheels and tires) all around for $2300.

You expecting big snow at PAX :D 80 down here in FLA....

You need to retire AGAIN :facepalm:

Be safe.

Yeah those probably wouldn't look too good on a Subaru Outback.:LOL:

WOW, I thought sure you were off by 30 years! I went looking and yep,
1983 CJ8 Jeep Scramblers are going for over $19,000. Golly, those sure hold their prices.

EDIT: I just looked for the Original MSRP $6,765, Unless I have it wrong, it's worth more now then when they were new.
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1983/Jeep-Corporation-AMC/CJ-Scrambler/Jeep-4X4/Values

Last edited:
We should have a "Nearly Blew That Dough" section. :) I almost purchased a 1973 MGB this past weekend. Unfortunately it did not pan out and I passed on it. I have been looking for a MGB for years to tinker with but I must have a rust free straight body. Not so easy to find.

Blowing Assistance

I like the sauna progress. If you start calling the local lumber yards, they can likely order the T&G for you. It will probably come from the Pacific Northwest anyway. I went the kit route, but did get a quote for T&G only from a lumber yard.

I'd like to hire an engineer to draw up plans for a screened porch. The drop-in simple types don't integrate well into my situation, so want a set of drawings, ready to go to the county permit office. But my calls have gone unanswered, so must not be calling the right people. Any ideas to help me blow the dough would be appreciated.

Got rough base spread for 32'x56' pole barn to be erected this spring. Next will be medium base gravel.

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_151453885.jpg
    IMG_20210123_151453885.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom