Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
~3 weeks ago we BTD on a DNA test not covered by insurance for DW. She was actually hesitant to do it and I made the case for her. Mission accomplished!
Hope all turns out well.

Went through this with my DW and the insurance company too. They would not cover the procedure without a DNA test and wouldnt pay for a DNA test. After the test came back saying she would be helped with the medicine I wrote a couple letters and the insurer did reimburse us some. Never hurts to ask.

Also hope the prices went down considering you can have a dog tested for $80 these days seems to make the $6000 (2010, so I might be off by a bit.) seem a bit out of line.

I need to start a large vegetable garden next year on our acreage for the next year and would need to haul a lot of material (dirt, compost, sand, etc.). I can rent a dump trailer but rent is not cheap. My solution? Bought a small (5'x10') 3 yards dump trailer for $6000! I figure I can always sell it when I don't need it. Right? Ya right!

Had a rental house (originally a farmhouse) built 1940 with all galvanized pipes...fortunately it was only one level with an unfinished basement so everything was exposed.

Hired a guy who was doing galvanized to copper at the local hospital to do the same for me on the side...still a few thousand bucks all told.
If it is still in progress, I would look at PEX. We had all copper pipes in slab in 30 year old house we gutted. I was worried that they might spring pinhole leaks in future so we ran a new plumbing is the attic while renovating the house. PEX pipes are very resilient and easy to install/fix.

I need to start a large vegetable garden next year on our acreage for the next year and would need to haul a lot of material (dirt, compost, sand, etc.). I can rent a dump trailer but rent is not cheap. My solution? Bought a small (5'x10') 3 yards dump trailer for $6000! I figure I can always sell it when I don't need it. Right? Ya right!

Good Job! Just an FYI. When loading keep more weight behind the area where the hydraulic ram mounts to the bed than what you load in front of the ram mount.

How do I know you ask? My SIL has the 7x14' version dump trailer and we loaded it up to move some excess dirt left over from our post frame building construction. Drove to where he was going to dump it for future use and yep, you guessed it the ram wouldn't lift the load! We than had to go and get a backhoe to offload a good portion of the front before the ram would dump the rest. This was a new dump trailer and we learned a good lesson from its maiden use. :LOL:

Ordered a new festool oscillating sander. With a load of woodworking projects and few sanding masks, I got a sander with a vacuum attachment.

When loading keep more weight behind the area where the hydraulic ram mounts to the bed than what you load in front of the ram mount.
Yes, I noticed that on the instruction label slapped on the trailer. Now I truly understand why they say that!

Good Job! Just an FYI. When loading keep more weight behind the area where the hydraulic ram mounts to the bed than what you load in front of the ram mount.

How do I know you ask? My SIL has the 7x14' version dump trailer and we loaded it up to move some excess dirt left over from our post frame building construction. Drove to where he was going to dump it for future use and yep, you guessed it the ram wouldn't lift the load! We than had to go and get a backhoe to offload a good portion of the front before the ram would dump the rest. This was a new dump trailer and we learned a good lesson from its maiden use. :LOL:

On the other hand, a trailer that is not front-loaded may be unstable.

See demo video below.

Trailer fishtailing is the cause of many road accidents, as shown in numerous videos on YouTube.

On the other hand, a trailer that is not front-loaded may be unstable.
Yes, I know it is a balance how you load the trailer, literally. I have two other trailers so I have some experience with the "trailer issues". Nevertheless serious issue. For the dump trailers, it is best to spread the load evenly across the bed for a best balance of tongue weight and ease of dump.

Last edited:
"Ordered a new festool oscillating sander. With a load of woodworking projects and few sanding masks, I got a sander with a vacuum attachment."

Nice. I think buying anything with the Festool name qualifies as a blow that dough event!

"Ordered a new festool oscillating sander. With a load of woodworking projects and few sanding masks, I got a sander with a vacuum attachment."

Nice. I think buying anything with the Festool name qualifies as a blow that dough event!

+1

My latest BTD was $4895 for about 2480# of grapes. They should yield 515-575 bottles, at well under $9.40/bottle on average.

Sangiovese, Mouvèdre, Primitivo, Tempranillo, and Cabernet Sauvignon from California.

And $480 for 30 gallons of NY Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Gewurztraminer white grape juice. So about $3.40/bottle when I add in the yeast, yeast nutrients, and buffers, if needed.

For those who do not drink wine, it's a BTD situation.
For those of you that like to save money and shop a good deal, $9.40 for a bottle of wine that would retail over $50, it a great deal.
For those of you that have great hobbies, win awards and ribbons, or enjoy a great wine with friends and dinner, it's priceless fun.

Dad was an amateur winemaker back in the 70's, 5 gallon carboy batches.
I can relate to that BTD :)

Winemaker, interesting BTD! So, one and a quarter ton (1 1/4) on grapes is a lot of grapes. Lol

So, how long does it take to make a bottle of $9.40 wine??

+1

My latest BTD was $4895 for about 2480# of grapes. They should yield 515-575 bottles, at well under $9.40/bottle on average.

Sangiovese, Mouvèdre, Primitivo, Tempranillo, and Cabernet Sauvignon from California.

Do you press them at home or at some place ?

When I bought some grapes off a train, from a place that does that, they had a large ~20 Ton presser to squeeze out all the juice. It was interesting to do.

Winemaker, interesting BTD! So, one and a quarter ton (1 1/4) on grapes is a lot of grapes. Lol

So, how long does it take to make a bottle of $9.40 wine??

So, we crush, destem, and sort. I do not want any jacks ( small stem pieces as they contribute to green yucky flavors.) cold soak them for three -four days, then pitch the yeast. Depending on yeast, grapes, and shop temps, 7 to 10 days to ferment to almost dry. Then the grapes are pressed in one of two presses I have. Then that young wine is put into demijohns, and carboys to finish off the fermentation. Then the reds are "infected" with a malolactic bacteria that softens up the wine's acids. Then when it is settled off any solids, it is put into barrels where it it aged up to 2 years.

You are the Winemaker! Very impressive - :)

So, we crush, destem, and sort. I do not want any jacks ( small stem pieces as they contribute to green yucky flavors.) cold soak them for three -four days, then pitch the yeast. Depending on yeast, grapes, and shop temps, 7 to 10 days to ferment to almost dry. Then the grapes are pressed in one of two presses I have. Then that young wine is put into demijohns, and carboys to finish off the fermentation. Then the reds are "infected" with a malolactic bacteria that softens up the wine's acids. Then when it is settled off any solids, it is put into barrels where it it aged up to 2 years.

That is quite a process and not just something that happens fast. Thanks

A 100 year old bottle of wine is worth a lot of dough. Those bottle would be great inheritance gifts to your heirs.

Last edited:
Winemaker, that sounds great.

Attachments

• E6A29B8D-105D-45AB-B6B4-A9EBBE9BEBE0.jpeg
    E6A29B8D-105D-45AB-B6B4-A9EBBE9BEBE0.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 306
^ remember that show From "I Love Lucy". I watched that a few times. Lol

+1

This vintage, I am only in for 300# of Merlot (grapes) and 7 gallons of Sauv. Blanc (juice), both from the Columbia Valley.

Do you press them at home or at some place ?

When I bought some grapes off a train, from a place that does that, they had a large ~20 Ton presser to squeeze out all the juice. It was interesting to do.

I used to use an antique crusher. we would destem hundreds of pounds of grapes by hand, then run them through that crusher, we did a 30 gallon barrel once that way. I had a small press, also, to press the fermented juice out of the grapes.

Once I started making 59 gallon barrels I broke down and bought a manual crusher/destemmer. I also bought a press that was four times bigger than the first.

I would like to get a destemmer/crusher but they are extremely expensive for an amateur like me. They run up $3000 and up, and would take up too big of a footprint in the shop, for something used only 2 weeks out of the year.

This vintage, I am only in for 300# of Merlot (grapes) and 7 gallons of Sauv. Blanc (juice), both from the Columbia Valley.

My grape broker does not offer anything from Oregon, Washington, Argentina or the Paso Robles area in California. I could get the from a place in Connecticut, but would have no way to keep them cold for the road trip here in SW PA.

I do get grapes and juice from Australia, Chile, NY, CA and South Africa.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing? How much does a new bigger tv weigh compared to the old tv weight?

I recently blew $2600 on a 55" OLED and it weighed nothing compared to my old 42" from 2003 or so. I could easily lift the 55" myself but needed help with the 42" one.

I recently blew $2600 on a 55" OLED and it weighed nothing compared to my old 42" from 2003 or so. I could easily lift the 55" myself but needed help with the 42" one.

Christine, money well spent! I have an LG OLED 55" TV which replaced an OLD heavy LED TV. The picture quality is amazing (watch with the lights dimmed if you can). It is an entirely different viewing experience.

This is also in the Golf thread. Just got my Application was successful for 2022 Open Championship tickets. I asked for July 10-13 practice rounds, so four days two people is 300 GBP.

Marriott's in Edinburgh going for about 450+ GBP/day. thinking staying the week use it as base....

so easy 3500 + 300 +?=?=?=? BTD !!!!!!!!!!!

Well done!
I like this thread so much. Right now after the property deal, my next BTD may well be development costs. Boring as heck so to read about great things like boats and wine grapes and a week at the Open keeps me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom