Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice home, albeit a living area has corrugated steel sheets for a ceiling. Quite unusual.

I don't live in Mesa, but know the area. When I came here 45 years ago, this part of the valley was all citrus grove. In the 80s, the land was developed and the lots were big because land was still cheap. This area has many large homes like the one you found.

I had an engine failure on my first solo cross country flight, with a grand total of 21 hours of training. It was indeed quite thrilling! I was able to land on a soccer field with a ground roll that fit between the goal boxes.

Glad that ended with no more than a good story. We have a friend who has a framed newspaper article about his belly landing along with one of the scraped up parts (a sensor, I believe) for display.

Best regards,
Chris

Yeah a lot more care needs to be taken with marine and air.

Your car engine sputters and dies, you pull over to the shoulder and call for help.
In the '70s, my father owned a couple of beaters that he would only drive in the right lane of the road so he could coast or push them off the road if they stalled.

The one day that I ever drove to high school, I had to have a classmate who became a car mechanic look under the hood. IIRC, he shortened the accelerator spring and said to change it when I got home.

Glad that ended with no more than a good story. We have a friend who has a framed newspaper article about his belly landing along with one of the scraped up parts (a sensor, I believe) for display.

Best regards,
Chris
I never thought about getting the article and printing it.
It put about a 1 month delay while we got the plane sorted. The wings had to come off and get it trucked out of there, and the windshield replaced from the lifting slings.
That was OK because that was long overdue. The only damage from the landing was the right brake master cylinder needed repacked. Apparently I mashed on it pretty hard. I made 225' long skid marks on the grass :D

Glad to see you made it OK. Any landing you can walk away from eh?

Your training was well learned and applied!

I remembered to keep flying, and it was an absolutely full stall landing from about 1' off the ground. That had me below 50 MPH and hence the short skid. When I was looking for a spot to land the first choice was an RC airplane strip, but it was busy and I was afraid of hurting people on the ground. As I circled down around my choices, the frisbee tossers on the soccer field just walked off like they knew I was coming. they kept on going to the parking lot and never looked back, apparently. The first guys to show up were Microsoft pilot geeks with scanners who heard my mayday, followed by the local police. It was 1986 and those geeks were readily identifiable :D

It put about a 1 month delay while we got the plane sorted. The wings had to come off and get it trucked out of there, and the windshield replaced from the lifting slings.
That was OK because that was long overdue. The only damage from the landing was the right brake master cylinder needed repacked. Apparently I mashed on it pretty hard. I made 225' long skid marks on the grass

You failed to mention getting the seat cleaned. :D

I'm not especially scared of heights but I've come across paraglider pilots offering tandem jumps fairly frequently.

Thought about it a few times, would be a BTD at $200 or more.

I never thought about getting the article and printing it.
That was OK because that was long overdue. The only damage from the landing was the right brake master cylinder needed repacked. Apparently I mashed on it pretty hard. I made 225' long skid marks on the grass :D

As one of my co-workers from my younger days working in commercial airplanes said "For every take-off there will be a landing". My first engineering job was at Douglas Aircraft Co, building the MD-80s and MD-11s at that time. My main job was doing failure analysis :( of failed parts.

LOL, sometimes there are two or more landings.
One beautiful night I was flying into Rapid City SD, on a return trip from DC.
My mom and aunt were along. I flared and felt the lightest little chirp and we floated back up a bit. My aunt was unaware and said " what a nice landing" I giggled and said " let's see how the next one is!"

Yeah, did that once coming into O'Hare. Took a big bounce and then the landing.

The flight crew even announced it as "we just bounced into O'Hare..."

LOL, sometimes there are two or more landings.
One beautiful night I was flying into Rapid City SD, on a return trip from DC.
My mom and aunt were along. I flared and felt the lightest little chirp and we floated back up a bit. My aunt was unaware and said " what a nice landing" I giggled and said " let's see how the next one is!"

There are always multiple landings at Kahului!

Planning a trip to the Canary Islands in January. Compared to earlier trips we have much better rooms. And rented a car for the whole duration.

On earlier trips I've rented a car for a couple of days. But having a car for the duration allows us to avoid public transport and be flexible planning our time and excursions.

Although the rooms set me back more the $1000-ish for the car rental feels much more like blowing the dough. And I had to go a couple of rounds with myself before placing the order. I really need to exercise the dough blowing muscle more!

I have a friend that I went to school with that now lives in Fla. She and her DH have a large cabin cruiser, which they take to the Bahamas frequently. They just finished a trip from their home up the east coast, across the top of US & Canada, then back down thru the US to New Orleans and back across and around Fla. again backhome.
I think the journey has a name they called it. They left in March and just got home last week. It sounded like a great Bucket list type of trip. I enjoyed following along reading about and seeinfg the pictures she posted. I would say they were BTD on that trip!

I have a coworker who made this trip right after her retirement 6 years ago. 6 months trip cost her $80K. She said It’s like Mecca for boaters.
She owns 3 boats. She ended up had to come back to work part time for us as a contractor. We give her a good arrangement: 100% telework even before COVID.

Planning a trip to the Canary Islands in January. Compared to earlier trips we have much better rooms. And rented a car for the whole duration.

On earlier trips I've rented a car for a couple of days. But having a car for the duration allows us to avoid public transport and be flexible planning our time and excursions.

Although the rooms set me back more the $1000-ish for the car rental feels much more like blowing the dough. And I had to go a couple of rounds with myself before placing the order. I really need to exercise the dough blowing muscle more!
you did it! My take is, not having to take public transit during a surging pandemic? Priceless :)

I have a coworker who made this trip right after her retirement 6 years ago. 6 months trip cost her $80K. She said It’s like Mecca for boaters.
She owns 3 boats. She ended up had to come back to work part time for us as a contractor. We give her a good arrangement: 100% telework even before COVID.

Sounds like she knows how to blow that dough! :cool:

you did it! My take is, not having to take public transit during a surging pandemic? Priceless :)

Yes it feels good now. :clap:

I had an engine failure on my first solo cross country flight, with a grand total of 21 hours of training. It was indeed quite thrilling! I was able to land on a soccer field with a ground roll that fit between the goal boxes.

I've relayed the story before that on my 5th or 6th lesson, the engine in the Lycoming 108 PA Colt exploded. Fortunately, the instructor easily put the aircraft down in a winter wheat field. When I say "exploded" I mean that I could see the bottom of the engine bay through the top of what was left of the engine. I still have a valve lifter assembly sitting on my desk to remind me of the adventure. I did go ahead and get my license but never went beyond PPL. YMMV

First time I heard it :)
It is a rare thing. Glad you got the rating. Some people will quit right after solo, as that really meant they learned to fly too. I just kept on, got the twin before I had the rating for it and my instructor was a cagey guy. He signed me off for solo in it, which was a rare thing indeed.
I kid you not one of my first flights after that solo signoff I was ramp checked by an FAA inspector at Auburn. He asked for my license and medical. He looks at it and says you don't have a multi engine rating. I had my logbook in my back pocket and smiling, I handed it over and pointed out my solo endorsement.
He raised his eyebrows as he had never seen that, and then it was all smiles and chatting and have a nice day :D

I've relayed the story before that on my 5th or 6th lesson, the engine in the Lycoming 108 PA Colt exploded. Fortunately, the instructor easily put the aircraft down in a winter wheat field. When I say "exploded" I mean that I could see the bottom of the engine bay through the top of what was left of the engine. I still have a valve lifter assembly sitting on my desk to remind me of the adventure. I did go ahead and get my license but never went beyond PPL. YMMV

Holy Moly!!
That would of, been the last time my behind would of, been in an aircraft.

I would say someone from above, was with you that day.

Last Day for BTD 2021, get your orders in. Happy New year to all at RE.ORG!

DW made me quit shopping last night, I was having check-out issues on two different sites in a row and it stopped being fun.

So I snuck another order in this morning!

Best regards,
Chris

Last Day for BTD 2021, get your orders in. Happy New year to all at RE.ORG!

I just bought some sandpaper and a hot chocolate, but probably not enough to qualify as BTD. And it's getting too late to think of something substantive to buy in the next 8 hours. Happy New Year to all and may we all blow some dough in 2022!

I have a friend that I went to school with that now lives in Fla. She and her DH have a large cabin cruiser, which they take to the Bahamas frequently. They just finished a trip from their home up the east coast, across the top of US & Canada, then back down thru the US to New Orleans and back across and around Fla. again backhome.
I think the journey has a name they called it. They left in March and just got home last week. It sounded like a great Bucket list type of trip. I enjoyed following along reading about and seeinfg the pictures she posted. I would say they were BTD on that trip!

Many boaters don't do the Great Loop in one continual long trip, but break it into segments. It's the same as hikers who break up a long trail hike to complete it in more than one hiking season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom