Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they still requiring a monthly paid subscription to use CarPlay? That really tee’d me off.

AFAIK every major manufacturer offering CarPlay makes it standard. The few that charged for it got too many complaints. Since Apple doesn't charge them anything for it, there was no real justification to charge the customer.

Are they still requiring a monthly paid subscription to use CarPlay? That really tee’d me off.

I don’t have the car yet, so I’m not sure. I don’t recall seeing anything for Apple CarPlay requiring a subscription. There are telematics services that require a subscription for remote starting, destination assist, emergency calling and such. Of course SiriusXM requires one. All the manufacturers require subscriptions for these. A subscription is also required for WiFi Hotspot if you want your can to have one. Until I have a VIN number I can’t get any details.

AFAIK every major manufacturer offering CarPlay makes it standard. The few that charged for it got too many complaints. Since Apple doesn't charge them anything for it, there was no real justification to charge the customer.

Well a few years ago, BMW started charging a monthly subscription fee for CarPlay and last we heard they still were, but we haven’t checked recently.

Yes, BMW was the worst for that. They started out with a $300 fee to use it, then they went to an $80/year subscription model. They stopped doing that about a year ago.

Good to know. Thanks!

I’ll let you know the current status of all the subscriptions once I take delivery of the car. I’m not too concerned, because I planned to have that expense.

BMW is not charging anyone anything for Apple CarPlay. My wife's car(2019) was supposed to get charged in a few months of buying it but they canceled the fee on December 5th, 2019. All subscriptions converted to lifetime for free.

Wow!

We bought a new to us Subaru on Dec 28th and my entire yearly spend all in 2020 was probably $10-15000 less than just your new car.
Nice.

Heh, heh, are use sure you're on the right thread?:angel:

I'm only allowed as a visitor to this thread. I like to look over the fence at the wealthy neighbors:LOL:

I hear you. I LOVE new cars. I WANT a C8 Corvette. BUT I'll likely die without ever again buying another new car. I should be banned from this thread as well.:blush:

Paid $270 for 300 worth in gift cards for Sprouts market.
I joke that my mom is the reason why discounted Sprouts gift cards are limited per customer. During the post-Thanksgiving sale, she would purchase a year's worth of groceries in gift cards, ensuring that her groceries would be 10% off all year.

I have just BLOWN The Dough. Applied for SS at 62 $2039 vice FRA $2854. We don't really need it but, Happy Wife Happy Life ;-)

I have just BLOWN The Dough. Applied for SS at 62 $2039 vice FRA $2854. We don't really need it but, Happy Wife Happy Life ;-)
Interesting take on the topic. And it would be many years before you could determine whether you really have BLOWN the dough.

Ordered up some more wagyu from Snake River Farms. (4) six ounce tenderloins, (1) 20 oz rib-eye cap and 2 pounds of burger.

Three hundred fifty - :)

Living high on the [-]hog[/-] cow!

No worries, I’m about to do another iGourmet cheese/charcuterie order.

Ordered up 2 pounds of salmon, 3 pounds of Hamachi and a pound of fresh Bluefin Tuna from Catalina. More Sushi!

Two hundred fifty.

Stopped at Taco Bell and picked up TEN soft tacos. This midwestern boy is in a South West - Tex/Mex mood today. I'll add some sour cream and enjoy for two days (DW will get half.) YMMV

I'm only allowed as a visitor to this thread. I like to look over the fence at the wealthy neighbors:LOL:

I visit this thread occasionally to see how people enjoy themselves. We cannot think of anything that would make us happy if we buy it. My wife is happy just surfin' the Web on her tablet. And with no travel possible, I have been spending my time improving my solar storage system.

I have not been blowing the dough, but have more fun growing it. Just did a quick check to see that I have realized a bit more than $10K in gains with selling options since the beginning of the year (8 trading days YTD). That's realized gain, meaning option trades that I have closed out and cash is in my accounts. I have more that has not been realized. The total gain which includes the stock gains (unrealized) is of course a lot more.

Just making money is fun right now. I hope travel to be reopened soon, so I can enjoy spending some of the money.

I hear you. I LOVE new cars. I WANT a C8 Corvette. BUT I'll likely die without ever again buying another new car. I should be banned from this thread as well.:blush:

I bought a new car on Jan 1st, a pedestrian SUV. The last time I bought a new SUV was in 2003. It still has only 33K miles on its odometer. Why the heck did I buy this new car? Well, it's complicated. :)

We have taken this new car out on two grocery errands, and that's it. We are just not "car people". I paid $15/month to try the car Internet connectivity, but have not bothered to play with the car console to see what it offers. My wife has not driven the new car. She made her last errand with another SUV, this one even older than the aforementioned 2003 car.

Did I tell you we are not "car people"? :)

Last edited:
Bought 1st class tickets for a fall trip to Europe (hopefully). Still planning to remodel the den in Tudor style oak.

I visit this thread occasionally to see how people enjoy themselves. We cannot think of anything that would make us happy if we buy it. My wife is happy just surfin' the Web on her tablet. And with no travel possible, I have been spending my time improving my solar storage system.

I have not been blowing the dough, but have more fun growing it. Just did a quick check to see that I have realized a bit more than $10K in gains with selling options since the beginning of the year (8 trading days YTD). That's realized gain, meaning option trades that I have closed out and cash is in my accounts. I have more that has not been realized. The total gain which includes the stock gains (unrealized) is of course a lot more.

Just making money is fun right now. I hope travel to be reopened soon, so I can enjoy spending some of the money.

I bought a new car on Jan 1st, a pedestrian SUV. The last time I bought a new SUV was in 2003. It still has only 33K miles on its odometer. Why the heck did I buy this new car? Well, it's complicated. :)

We have taken this new car out on two grocery errands, and that's it. We are just not "car people". I paid $15/month to try the car Internet connectivity, but have not bothered to play with the car console to see what it offers. My wife has not driven the new car. She made her last errand with another SUV, this one even older than the aforementioned 2003 car.

Did I tell you we are not "car people"? :)

Well we have everything we need/want for the most part as well.
We are not car people either.
We tried going down to one vehicle a year ago since we are both retired and it worked pretty well for 2020 with us not going many places at all. However recently the wife had been hinting at getting a car since our only vehicle was a pickup truck that will be 12 years old soon. So we bought another Subaru Outback which is our third one. I call them the Swiss army knife of cars and where we live in the woods of NH they are fantastic AWD vehicles and also have may safety features as well as heated leather seats which are so nice this time of year.
The funny thing is that this is our first "used " vehicle in our entire 36 years of marriage. I totaled up 8 brand new vehicles that we bought in that time and I'm not sure how that happened since we are very frugal with just about everything else we purchase. Guess I should have been on this thread when we bought the new ones. Not now.:LOL:

Ordered up some more wagyu from Snake River Farms. (4) six ounce tenderloins, (1) 20 oz rib-eye cap and 2 pounds of burger.

Three hundred fifty - :)

Snake River Farms has wonderful beef!

Yes they do. And Catalina Offshore Products has wonderful (all sushi grade) fish - :)

Actually it's "Happy spouse, happy house". Don't count yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom