Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You expecting big snow at PAX :D 80 down here in FLA....

You need to retire AGAIN :facepalm:

Be safe.

Haha. Nope. With a 5 inch lift you have to have at least 33"'s on there. DW and I have three vehicles total. Her Mini Cooper has AWD, my chevy truck and Jeep are both 4wd. The Cub Cadet and the John Deere Gator are only 2wd. Looks like it might be 2 winter's consecutive with no snow. I'm not complaining. St Croix scuba diving in 2 weeks. Yippee!

Haha. Nope. With a 5 inch lift you have to have at least 33"'s on there. DW and I have three vehicles total. Her Mini Cooper has AWD, my chevy truck and Jeep are both 4wd. The Cub Cadet and the John Deere Gator are only 2wd. Looks like it might be 2 winter's consecutive with no snow. I'm not complaining. St Croix scuba diving in 2 weeks. Yippee!

So, do you put the Mini in the back of the Chevy 4X4 as a "spare?":facepalm::LOL:

My wife snookered me into going area rug shopping and we bought a $4k rug from Afghanistan. I'm thankful, because it will end the constant stream of rugs that have been bought and returned requiring me to carry them in, move furniture and then carry them out.

WOW, I thought sure you were off by 30 years! I went looking and yep,
1983 CJ8 Jeep Scramblers are going for over $19,000. Golly, those sure hold their prices.

EDIT: I just looked for the Original MSRP $6,765, Unless I have it wrong, it's worth more now then when they were new.
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1983/Jeep-Corporation-AMC/CJ-Scrambler/Jeep-4X4/Values

The CJ-8 Scrambler is a highly sought after model. Much more than the std CJ-7. CJ-8 is an extended wheelbase with more length behind the driver's seat.

OK! The Jamon Iberico Pata Negra finally arrived. Now we get to spend a month carving it!

How do you store it so it does not go bad?

It’s been hanging in room temperature conditions for 36 months!

It should be good for several weeks once cutting is started. We plan to be done in a month. We’ll be vacuum sealing and freezing a bunch of the slices.

How do you store it so it does not go bad?

It will keep for quite a while, if you cover the cut with fat to keep the meat from drying out.

Two Christmas' ago, at the party at my house, my brother brought a leg of jamon that he bought at Costco. We all tried our hand at carving it, and found out that it was not as easy as seen on Youtube to get nice thin and even shavings.

And we did not make much of a dent in that leg. Of course, we have tons of other dishes, but one can only eat so much jamon at a time. The leftover last my brother quite a while, I imagine.

Yes, we will be putting the exterior fat back on the cut part each time.

Even though we’ve watched several videos, I don’t expect the slicing to be easy, but we’ll try to be very patient, and we should be getting a lot of practice! So hopefully we’ll get good enough at it before too long. We’ve been advised by the manufacturer to start at the drier part of the ham if the carving is over an extended period of time.

I would think a thin sharp blade would be good. Like a fillet (fish) knife.

Yes, that's a requirement without saying. I just did not have the right touch, or maybe not enough practice. It's my brother's ham, remember.

I don't want to buy my own ham, because my wife is not crazy about it, and a whole ham is too much for one to eat.

I posted this video before. The carving starts at 11:30.

Last edited:

The Costco Jamon Iberico comes with a stand and jamon carving knife. So supposedly you have the right knife, just have to learn how to use it!

OK! The Jamon Iberico Pata Negra finally arrived. Now we get to spend a month carving it!

Sorry, I just don't get it (no disrespect - I have NO taste when it comes to exotic or acquired tastes.:flowers:) Does it really taste that good?

I recall tasting caviar for the first time and finding it at best "mildly interesting" but not something I would pay several dollars an ounce for. THEN I found out MY problem was I wasn't eating the stuff that cost hundreds of dollars an ounce!

It's just that you've piqued my interest (not enough to try it, you understand.) I'm sure if I mentioned stuff (like my Corvette) most folks would wonder what's the big deal. It's just a car. A cramped, expensive, loud, uncomfortable, leaky (back in the day) car.

I guess that's why it's called Blow That Dough! YMMV

Travel to Spain. Be sure to order tapas that include 100% Iberian acorn-fed jamon thinly sliced. Then you’ll know!

Amazon sells jamon iberico de bellota (the real acorn-fed ham) in small 2 oz packages for $15/oz. For grass-fed ham, the price is about $7/oz.

These small packages are good to refresh one's memory of the taste. A whole ham takes a serious commitment I am not prepared to make. :)

71D5AYobtWL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
We should have a "Nearly Blew That Dough" section. :) I almost purchased a 1973 MGB this past weekend. Unfortunately it did not pan out and I passed on it. I have been looking for a MGB for years to tinker with but I must have a rust free straight body. Not so easy to find.
If yours is anything like my and a few friends experience, the purchase is the lowest cost part of owning an MG. Keeping it running is the expensive part.

If yours is anything like my and a few friends experience, the purchase is the lowest cost part of owning an MG. Keeping it running is the expensive part.

Agree! As a kid, I would rebuild MGBs for my dad. I drove a 73 MGB GT. Loved that car, but it needed constant care. I owned a 1980 MGB LE in college. I sold it when I graduated but bought another one 3 years ago. Forgot how much work they were and sold it a year later. Our 2015 BMW Z4 scratches the roadster itch these days.

Jamon Iberico is amazing and worth every penny. Nothing tastes like it. Somewhat like it's Italian cousin Prosciutto but with a richer deeper flavor and a velvet feel.

Amazing stuff!

The nutty taste of the jamon de bellota is quite distinct, from the pigs eating a lot of acorns as they freely range under the oak (cork oak) trees. Lots of space to roam in smaller groups - each pig gets 1 hectare - 2.5 acres. The pig breed is also unique to Spain/Portugal. 100% Iberico means that it is a pure breed Iberian pig.

You can definitely taste the difference from acorn fed versus not.

Last edited:
I want to be rich enough to demand jamon iberico from pigs fed with truffle. :angel:

Ordered up 3 oz of Jamon Iberica Bellota and 8 ounces of Texas raised Iberico Coppa and a 4 pack of the delicious anchovy stuffed olives from La Tienda.

All this talk of ham, just had to have some - :)

Last edited:
I got some of these https://madefordrink.com/collections/all
Chorizo Thins, Salami Chips, and Duck Fritons. Not cheap and shipped from England, but this is the right thread for such a purchase. The duck fritons are amazing, like a “duck chicharrón”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom