Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I can't imagine what subtle flavor delights are involved in eating jamon de bellota but I just had a flash of insight if you will indulge me for a moment. As a kid, I used to enjoy hot chocolate. My mom used "the best" (the Hershey powder that you had to add your own sugar - NOT the Nestles "Quick.") When I went to Europe and drank hot chocolate in Holland, I knew I had been scammed all my life. There was zero comparison in flavor to anything you could buy in the USA. The "Dutch" (is that correct?) really DO know how to make chocolate!

My palate is so unrefined that cocoa is the only thing I could conger up to compare "good" to "out of this world excellent." I hope your experiences of eating jamon de bellota is comparable to or even better than my experience of discovering REAL cocoa. Perhaps some day I too will discover the delights of jamon de bellota. Enjoy!

Order some up!

It's expensive, but not that expensive. Not to mention you don't have to buy the whole leg either.

Okay, I can't imagine what subtle flavor delights are involved in eating jamon de bellota but I just had a flash of insight if you will indulge me for a moment. As a kid, I used to enjoy hot chocolate. My mom used "the best" (the Hershey powder that you had to add your own sugar - NOT the Nestles "Quick.") When I went to Europe and drank hot chocolate in Holland, I knew I had been scammed all my life. There was zero comparison in flavor to anything you could buy in the USA. The "Dutch" (is that correct?) really DO know how to make chocolate!

My palate is so unrefined that cocoa is the only thing I could conger up to compare "good" to "out of this world excellent." I hope your experiences of eating jamon de bellota is comparable to or even better than my experience of discovering REAL cocoa. Perhaps some day I too will discover the delights of jamon de bellota. Enjoy!

If Hershey's vs Dutch hot chocolate is your frame of reference, then I predict that you will be disappointed by even THE top of the line jambon

The Italians - now that’s some unbelievably rich delicious hot chocolate, almost like pudding!

Not too bad for my first day of slicing, eh?

As instructed, we started with the leanest section first. I presume that’s because it will dry out faster if you take a while to carve the ham.

Now I’m chilling with some Fino Sherry, Spanish cheese and olives and our freshly sliced jamon.

Attachments

• 68B16201-E1FE-43B7-BDA6-3931BB6D1612.jpeg
    68B16201-E1FE-43B7-BDA6-3931BB6D1612.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 70
Ordered up 3 oz of Jamon Iberica Bellota and 8 ounces of Texas raised Iberico Coppa and a 4 pack of the delicious anchovy stuffed olives from La Tienda.

All this talk of ham, just had to have some - :)

So can anyone make a recommendation for any of those 2 or 3 oz samples of Jamon Iberica (Amazon or elsewhere)? I'd love to try some, but no way am I gonna buy several hundred $ worth just to test it out.

Cool!

Sometime try this Salchichón de Vic by Peregrino at La Tienda. It’s out of this world!
https://www.tienda.com/products/salchichon-vic-peregrino-cz-19.html

It’s a big cured sausage with a bit of a unique sour taste that I really like.

That sure looks good.

-ERD50

La Tienda is a good source for small packages of sliced Jamon Iberico or Serrano. The Iberico is usually 3oz and pricey. The Serrano 6 oz not quite so pricey. But really the best way to try it is to travel to Spain and have some sliced to order. :D

Last edited:
If Hershey's vs Dutch hot chocolate is your frame of reference, then I predict that you will be disappointed by even THE top of the line jambon

Have you had Dutch chocolate in Holland?:flowers:

Have you had Dutch chocolate in Holland?:flowers:

Yes, I sure have. It’s great. That was actually my point: the difference between Hershey and real Dutch (or Italian, or even French or Swiss) hot chocolate is so big that it is really quite obvious even to the casual observer.
On the other hand, while there definitely is a difference between good and top of the line Jamon, the differences are really pretty subtle, unless you have an exceptionally discerning taste.
That’s why I predicted that if you expect that big of a difference, then you will likely be disappointed.
Kind of like the difference between a very good and a top level bottle of wine.

La Tienda is a good source for small packages of sliced Jamon Iberico or Serrano. The Iberico is usually 3oz and pricey. The Serrano 6 oz not quite so pricey. But really the best way to try it is to travel to Spain and have some sliced to order. :D

Well, in one long trip to Europe, after a few weeks of having their wonderful charcuterie meats, I longed for a simple American ham-and-cheese sandwich.

It's the same with hamburgers. At the end of most trips, I started to look for McDonald's. Sadly, the hamburgers there often were not good. I am not a picky eater, but still remember a hamburger bought in Sète which tasted literally like a cardboard. The only redeeming thing was that for the meal deal, they allowed the choice of a mini Heineken instead of the usual Coke for the drink.

Haha - not me! Neither the hamburger nor ham and cheese sandwich. Tons of European styles of ham with cheese with much better bread. Not a hamburger fan.

When I was in the Netherlands, I routinely bought a common brand of chocolate bar at the grocery stores. I got the impression it was their version of our Hershey bar. But, the chocolate taste was more pronounced and just better. Maybe it's the 'vacation effect' but it sure tasted better.

Europeans in general have a higher standard in food that we Americans do. They won't accept poor food as readily as we do. I have come to believe that while the best American foods are as good as the best European foods, the European bottom level is higher than our bottom level. Anybody care for another slice of pasteurized processed cheese food slices? Ugh.

To keep on topic, let me add that I am willing to Blow That Dough on good quality food. Occasionally I buy whiskey that is not Kirkland Signature. :D

Last edited:
I haven't blown it yet but I hope I can. Lol

I'm hoping to buy an old homestead about 4 acres. It has a 100 plus year old 3 room home and a 24 by 16 work shop feed storage building. It isn't far from the ranch and would like to restore the building enough to stop from deteriorating any further. I also would plant some trees and seed alfalfa, clover and seed vegetation for wildlife. I think it would be a great and fun project for me.
I talked to the owner which doesn't live in the area to see if he would consider selling. I would take on all surveying and closing costs.
I haven't heard back from him but I do hope I can blow some dough.

Last edited:
in one long trip to Europe, after a few weeks...I longed for a simple hamburger

Many European cities now have one or more places that serve excellent hamburgers.
For example:
Porto - Honorato Clérigos
Lisboa - A Cultura do Hambúrguer
Ljubljana - Pop's Place

I was very pleased.

Haha - not me! Neither the hamburger nor ham and cheese sandwich. Tons of European styles of ham with cheese with much better bread. Not a hamburger fan.

I'm with you on that. I love the diversity of ham-based sandwiches all throughout Europe. It never makes me miss a

I eat hamburgers about twice a month but never McDonald's. I prefer home cooked or any number of restaurants, even fast casual. In France, the hamburger has replaced ham+butter baguette as the top sandwich consumed. The better versions appear on bistro and cafe meus, and they've even adopted fast casual style restaurants with decent quality. There are still some misses, although I rarely order it when in Europe.

BTW, not FIREd yet but am looking for ideas in this thread as we learn to loosen the purse strings.

I remember seeing the big Bellota at Costco over the holidays. I usually just get my charcuterie fresh sliced from my local specialty butcher, which is walkable, but Iberico is not always in stock there (but is at another a couple miles away).

If I had a source of Jamon Iberico de Bellota in town I’d be going over there to get my slices too!

European charcuterie is pretty limited here except I can usually find decent Spanish chorizo.

P.S. Knew oiseaux, didn’t know oiseux - had to look it up. Clever!

Last edited:
Traded in a 2010 Ford Escape for $3,000 and replaced it with a BMW X5 plug-in hybrid, Used of course! First time ever I've had the highest trim level of any vehicle, still discovering every day many new automated systems and features one month in. Gadgets galore with so, so many things potentially to break in the future. It's project time: DIY install of a 240 volt outlet in the garage for a Level 2 charger. Time elapsed since I have purchased any gasoline...one month!

Europeans in general have a higher standard in food that we Americans do. They won't accept poor food as readily as we do. I have come to believe that while the best American foods are as good as the best European foods, the European bottom level is higher than our bottom level...

I have to agree with this. And the food does not have to be so expensive. When I initially went to only restaurants, wondered how Europeans could feed themselves with food so expensive.

On longer trips recently when we had almost 2 months to fool around and stay in Airbnbs, I discovered the joy of just visiting their markets to see what was available. Not all food items are expensive, and their markets have sales like we do, although meats in general are quite more expensive.

And I was shocked at the price of potatoes in Florence. Why? Had to take some photos for a record of it. I will have to look for that photo.

Yes, I sure have. It’s great. That was actually my point: the difference between Hershey and real Dutch (or Italian, or even French or Swiss) hot chocolate is so big that it is really quite obvious even to the casual observer.
On the other hand, while there definitely is a difference between good and top of the line Jamon, the differences are really pretty subtle, unless you have an exceptionally discerning taste.
That’s why I predicted that if you expect that big of a difference, then you will likely be disappointed.
Kind of like the difference between a very good and a top level bottle of wine.

Got it! :flowers:

I'm the one who never understood it when my big sis used to tell me "Your taste is all in your mouth." I would always answer "And your point is?" :LOL:

You know, in the matter of expensive food, if I can taste the difference, great. It's worth my money then.

If I cannot taste the difference, or if the difference is not that great, it's fine too. I don't have to pay more with my pedestrian taste, and why is that a bad thing? I am not trying to impress anyone.

Either my palate is getting dull, or I don't care that much anymore (a sign of getting old?), but XO cognac does not wow me as it used to. I can drink moonshine now, and it does not bother me. :)

PS. I hasten to add that my palate is not getting dull because of Covid. :)

Last edited:
Contemplating blowing some dough on a round the country train trip---if I can ever get my covid shots. Will get a sleeper compartment. Do some layovers for 3 or 4 or 5 days at interesting looking cities I have never been to.

Contemplating blowing some dough on a round the country train trip---if I can ever get my covid shots. Will get a sleeper compartment. Do some layovers for 3 or 4 or 5 days at interesting looking cities I have never been to.
Enjoy!
I did an USA Rail Pass trip after I retired and looped the West. It was a great trip.

You know, in the matter of expensive food, if I can taste the difference, great. It's worth my money then.

If I cannot taste the difference, or if the difference is not that great, it's fine too. I don't have to pay more with my pedestrian taste, and why is that a bad thing? I am not trying to impress anyone.

Either my palate is getting dull, or I don't care that much anymore (a sign of getting old?), but XO cognac does not wow me as it used to. I can drink moonshine now, and it does not bother me. :)

I agree completely! I definitely do not need to ever buy a bottle of wine that costs more than $10-12 because I simply cannot tell the difference. Yes, I HAVE tried $500 bottles and no, I definitely could NOT tell it from a $12 bottle. So, as you say: I can drink much cheaper stuff and still be happy! I definitely CAN tell the difference of a $10 dollar bottle and a $1.50 bottle though...

I agree completely! I definitely do not need to ever buy a bottle of wine that costs more than $10-12 because I simply cannot tell the difference. Yes, I HAVE tried $500 bottles and no, I definitely could NOT tell it from a $12 bottle. So, as you say: I can drink much cheaper stuff and still be happy! I definitely CAN tell the difference of a $10 dollar bottle and a $1.50 bottle though...

I can tell you that a $12 bottle of wine properly paired with the right food is 1,000 times better than a $500 bottle of wine paired with the wrong food. And if you don't store expensive wine properly, it will turn into $1.50 wine.

Now a $400 bottle of Redbreast 21 Irish Whiskey is a treat. And so is a $3,000 bottle of Louise XIII. I got to try a lot of good stuff when I was an EA type guy for a billion dollar boss. He liked fine liquor and let me put it all on my expense report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom