Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know $24 is not all that much in this thread but never in my life would I have imagined spending $24 on a single pair of socks.

No doubt about it, that's an incredible price for socks.

However, I have to admit that for the last 20 years I have worn nothing but either Smartwool or Darn Tough socks. They really are that much better than anything else on the market.

$2K for fur baby ER (she had to spend the night). She is worth every penny and DH and I would have paid more if needed. She's on the mend and am awaiting call from vet to see if she needs to prescribe more meds. She's an indoor only cat and her internal plumbing went bananas. We were concerned she had cancer or pancreatitis...but luckily, no on both.

However, I have to admit that for the last 20 years I have worn nothing but either Smartwool or Darn Tough socks. They really are that much better than anything else on the market.

I also found it really hard to spend so much for socks, but I’ve been buying Smartwool socks for a few years now. They are worth every penny!

I’ll now have to look into Darn Tough socks too...

My status symbol when I “make it” is a new pair of socks each day.

I usually don't spend money on anything other than bills, traveling, annual gifts to charity & kids. That's usually

I've been noticing hollowed out oranges on the patio. New ones every morning. And then I found this animal that's probably about 6" long and completely black running from under the orange tree to under an old deck. I used to have a hot tub with gazebo there. You know the kind that they sell in all of those home shows. Well it disintegrated about a decade ago & I've just left the patio and deck as is. But with what appears to be a roof rat living under the deck I've decided to hire someone to rip it all out. It's extremely large and it's hard to dispose of wood these days so I imagine it's gonna run me almost a European trip worth. Ah well. Didn't travel in 2020 and might not do more than the lake in 2021 so the $$s are just sitting in my checking account.

New stationary/spin bike and new LED tv(only 50") both thru Amazon.
We walk the dog outside everyday for up to 4-5 miles even in the snow(right now) and 0 degrees but want even more leg exercises and some aerobics.
The 37" LCD 720P tv is starting to get blotchy areas in it and is just tired. Think we've had it for 12 years or more so even a 50" will seem huge at least temporarily.:) Even though the entire first floor of the house is open concept the actual tv viewing area is only about 12 x 12 and we both sit from 6-8 feet away so I think it will be good.

$2K for fur baby ER (she had to spend the night). She is worth every penny and DH and I would have paid more if needed. She's on the mend and am awaiting call from vet to see if she needs to prescribe more meds. She's an indoor only cat and her internal plumbing went bananas. We were concerned she had cancer or pancreatitis...but luckily, no on both.

Yep, DW and I, back in the day, used to joke about owning the Six Million Dollar Cat. She got hit by a car and ended up with pins in her front legs. She also lost an eye. We were gonna call her "Lucky" but changed it to Dusty.

Yep, DW and I, back in the day, used to joke about owning the Six Million Dollar Cat. She got hit by a car and ended up with pins in her front legs. She also lost an eye. We were gonna call her "Lucky" but changed it to Dusty.

Awww. She was lucky to have you.

I estimate we've spent about $12.5K on kitty, 9 years old. This is for non-routine care. She's had 4 surgeries removing some of her teeth (she's allergic to her enamel and has gingivitis), each +/-$2K and a $2.5K hairball :LOL:. She had an obstruction in her tummy causing severe vomiting and we thought it could be bits of our new fringe runner. Luckily she did not need surgery for that one. Needless to say, I tossed the runner. And I decided not to get pet insurance when we adopted these two :facepalm:.

Our two rescues had a $1200 day for dentals, with chest x-ray for old boy with heart murmur and two extractions for blind girl with Addison's disease, last Wednesday.
She has been our big bill dog with Addisons, daily steroids and a balancing injection every 23 days, regular bloodwork to check on all that, and an infection in her jaw that had me giving her boluses of fluid to keep her alive. We were prepared to get her one good eye fixed for ~5000, but she was a bad candidate for surgery.
They get whatever they need.
Here they are helping my wife in the home office this morning.
PXL-20210222-141729154.jpg

I bought 2 dozen new pair of socks yesterday. One white and one black. Hanes, double tough over the calf extra tall.

DW is cutting up every single pair of my old ones at this moment.

To me, this is a pretty big deal.

I recently blew some serious dough on a banana slicer. I have so far gone through my whole life living without one, but during all the free hours the pandemic brought us, I have done some serious thinking about what really matters in life. And after weeks of pondering, it became more and more clear to me that the time has come to splurge. This slicer has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon, and I, like many other customers of the Hutzler 571, spent hours of my life carefully weighing its technical pros and cons which are addressed in more than 6,000 invaluable Amazon reviews. Here is the glorious item: https://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-3571-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII/

Pros - including fixed income options and prevention of serious family feuds:
Nosh
5.0 out of 5 stars Really ?
Reviewed in the United States on December 30, 2018 Package Quantity: 1 Size: 11.25" Verified Purchase
Ive always wondered how to get that professional restaurant quality slice. Now i can ! No more paying for those expensively sliced fruits- i can just stay at home. Considering selling banana slices to my neighbors now for active & passive income !
121 people found this helpful
Michael J. Corkren
5.0 out of 5 stars This will end all your trepidations concerning the slicing of all bananas.
Reviewed in the United States on January 23, 2018 Package Quantity: 1 Size: 11.25" Verified Purchase
This slicer is the best! For years my household would draw lots as to who would have to slice the banana. More than once this lead to lots of blood and a trip to the emergency room. Now we don't have to worry about loosing a finger or an occasional body part. Slicing bananas no longer resembles a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Thank you Huzler 571! If only we'd found this product sooner my wife would be able to wear her wedding band on the correct finger and junior wouldn't be known as "3 finger Jack". Better late than never I say!
471 people found this helpful
Cons - including pathways to involuntary ER:
Emily S
5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of wrong-way bananas!!
Reviewed in the United States on June 1, 2018
We were so excited to get our Hutzler 571...until we realized that our bananas curved the wrong way. Gonna have to go to the store for new bananas...������
1,355 people found this helpful
handler, AZ
2.0 out of 5 stars 3 bananas at most! No way to slice 571 bananas at one time...
Reviewed in the United States on May 9, 2017 Package Quantity: 1 Size: 11.25" Verified Purchase
My expectations may have been a little high, but I have not been able to successfully slice more than 3 bananas at one time. Not sure how Hutzler can claim to slice 571 bananas with this model. A video demonstrating the proper technique would help.For that reason I'd rate this item only 3 out of 571 stars, but Amazon's rating system does not seem to be compatible with this product so I dropped an additional star.
532 people found this helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, If You Want To Get Fired
Reviewed in the United States on November 5, 2017 Package Quantity: 1 Size: 11.25" Verified Purchase
I was sitting on the couch and my doorbell rang. I leapt off the sofa and ran to the door screaming, “My banana slicer!” I opened the package and immediately snatched a banana to slice. Without instructions included I did not realize I had to peel the banana first. It was a gooey mess and I had to grab another. This time I peeled it, but my banana was too small. It didn’t fill the whole slicer.
I went to Walmart Customer Service, “Do you have any giant bananas?” I questioned. The attendant turned away. I think he was laughing. He called for another attendant, they went to the back, and brought out the biggest bananas I’ve ever seen.
I went home with the bananas. I peeled the bananas and used the banana slicer. It was so satisfying to cut the bananas. I did it all day and forgot to go to work.
I got a call from my boss. “You’re fired!” he screamed into the phone.
I cried. I am no longer Jake from State Farm. I am now just Jake.
1,338 people found this helpful

Last edited:
Our two rescues had a $1200 day for dentals, with chest x-ray for old boy with heart murmur and two extractions for blind girl with Addison's disease, last Wednesday.
She has been our big bill dog with Addisons, daily steroids and a balancing injection every 23 days, regular bloodwork to check on all that, and an infection in her jaw that had me giving her boluses of fluid to keep her alive. We were prepared to get her one good eye fixed for ~5000, but she was a bad candidate for surgery.
They get whatever they need.
Here they are helping my wife in the home office this morning.
PXL-20210222-141729154.jpg

That's the kind of help we like! DH and I just brought down a big laser printer from upstairs and we asked our kitties to help us... ...stay out of our way :LOL:. One listened, the other didn't!

My status symbol when I “make it” is a new pair of socks each day.

Have a buddy in SoCal who would buy the 18 pack of ankle socks, wear each pair once and toss them. He started doing that because of lost socks while doing laundry. The 18 pack was like less than 10 bucks. He would buy them on discount with a coupon. I believe he said it came to like 35 cents per pair. He would pack brown bag lunches. Not sure but believe he is worth 10mil plus at this point.

I recently blew some serious dough on a banana slicer. I have so far gone through my whole life living without one, but during all the free hours the pandemic brought us, I have done some serious thinking about what really matters in life. And after weeks of pondering, it became more and more clear to me that the time has come to splurge. This slicer has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon, and I, like many other customers of the Hutzler 571, spent hours of my life carefully weighing its technical pros and cons which are addressed in more than 6,000 invaluable Amazon reviews. Here is the glorious item: https://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-3571-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII/

Pros - including fixed income options and prevention of serious family feuds:
Cons - including pathways to involuntary ER:

One of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

I bought 2 dozen new pair of socks yesterday. One white and one black. Hanes, double tough over the calf extra tall.

This is life changing!

I also am buying a queen size sleep number bed where the head elevates. I love our sleep number but it’s a king so letting my ex keep it. Plus the head doesn’t elevate and when my asthma kicks up I prop myself up to sleep and fall over once I fall asleep. Rinse and repeat makes for a miserable night. The bed is about 4K and will order as soon as I close. It will be the last bed I need as you can’t wear them out as long as you can still get a new pump when that goes.

Why is DW cutting up your old socks? So you could never wear them again or...?

I blew about $18,000 last year on restoration of my 1969 Camaro. The work included a new 383 Chevy custom built crate engine and full doghouse removal and restoration down to the subframe.

DSCF6328.jpg

DSCF6332.jpg

DSCF6311.jpg

Bad ass car baby!

You Rock - :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom