Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay!

That is a stunning piece, DrRoy! Enjoy it!!!

My wife and I signed up for 16 day Grand Canyon rafting/hiking trip in Oct 2022. Expensive but doing it with some friends and a once in a lifetime trip. Fortunately we can drive so can avoid the airfare to save a bit of money.

I’m selling a second home on Friday. I never really wanted the house, but I decided to buy it from my parents about 6 years ago to give them cash to pay off some debts. My parents continued to live there rent free. Dad passed away and Mom decided to move into an apartment in January, so I immediately started getting it ready to sell. As it turns out, my 26 year old niece and her husband wanted to buy it. So I decided money wasn’t everything and decided to sell it to them about $10,000 under what it probably would have sold for in the hot open market. At a loss for me.

Sooo, since there is no mortgage to pay off, I have decided to spend a portion of my sale proceeds to paint my own home, have my own home professionally landscaped this year instead of doing it myself, and I’m having the aging concrete driveway torn out and replaced with new asphalt. I’m quite excited about my projects. Although it will likely be June before the painting and driveway are done.

My wife and I signed up for 16 day Grand Canyon rafting/hiking trip in Oct 2022. Expensive but doing it with some friends and a once in a lifetime trip. Fortunately we can drive so can avoid the airfare to save a bit of money.

You are going to love that so much! We had such a wonderful time that we went back and did it again five years later, second time with friends. I would even consider doing it a third time. Unbelievable place.

I’m selling a second home on Friday. I never really wanted the house, but I decided to buy it from my parents about 6 years ago to give them cash to pay off some debts. My parents continued to live there rent free. Dad passed away and Mom decided to move into an apartment in January, so I immediately started getting it ready to sell. As it turns out, my 26 year old niece and her husband wanted to buy it. So I decided money wasn’t everything and decided to sell it to them about $10,000 under what it probably would have sold for in the hot open market. At a loss for me.

Sooo, since there is no mortgage to pay off, I have decided to spend a portion of my sale proceeds to paint my own home, have my own home professionally landscaped this year instead of doing it myself, and I’m having the aging concrete driveway torn out and replaced with new asphalt. I’m quite excited about my projects. Although it will likely be June before the painting and driveway are done.

Sounds like you value family over money! For that, you deserve a B-T-D reward! Enjoy.

You picture is resurrecting traces of the Green Eyed Monster I thought was shoved way back into my Psyche.

Aw, comon' asphalt?

Pour out a new slab and be done for life!

i bought a pair down sleeping bags yesterday. i need the space in my trunk. i want to get that stimulus money spent. $600 for 2 bags is a waste of money. searching for an air mattress now.

Attachments

• 20190713_090302.jpg
    20190713_090302.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180904_114836.jpg
    20180904_114836.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20190717_174837.jpg
    20190717_174837.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
Good for you. I have 4 down sleeping bags myself. Well 4 between the wife and I. They last forever. We bought 2 in 1996 to go out to the Tetons and the other 2 are even older. In fact one of them was the first thing I ever bought with my own money after having a summer job at 16. Bought it in 1976. Made by Gerry, a company I believe started by Gerry Roach a well known climber/mountaineer in the Colorado area. It was rated to 0 degrees so it hasn't been used too much since.:)
However the root cause of your gear "problem" is that a corvette doesn't make a very good camping vehicle.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: You really need to blow that dough and add an SUV to your fleet.

Still waiting and wanting to blow some more dough this year. I posted a while back I'm interested in buying some more land, close to where my ranch is. I still believe it will happen, just waiting for the hand shake to proceed with survey, legal and buy/sell etc. etc..

Still waiting and wanting to blow some more dough this year. I posted a while back I'm interested in buying some more land, close to where my ranch is. I still believe it will happen, just waiting for the hand shake to proceed with survey, legal and buy/sell etc. etc..

How much land do you have now?

Aw, comon' asphalt?

Pour out a new slab and be done for life!

Slab driveways don't do well in the colder climates. Frost heaving will crack it in the first winter if it gets cold enough.

Last edited:
How much land do you have now?

That is something, I like to keep disclose. For a few reasons, sorry.

As part of the culture, you will discover rules of etiquette in rural life, that you never ask a rancher or farmer of how big of herd or how many acres they have.

As part of the culture, you will discover rules of etiquette in rural life, that you never ask a rancher or farmer of how big of herd or how many acres they have.

Thanks for letting us know. Some of us city folk would never have thought that was a bad thing to ask because we just don't know about country ways.

To me even a quarter acre is a lot. My lot is about 1/8th of an acre, and here that's considered to be a double lot. :)

Old joke:
Easterner to Texas rancher: Looks like you have a really big spread here!
Texan: Well, I can get in my car in the morning, drive all day, and still not be at the other side by nightfall.
Easterner: Gee, sorry. I used to have a car like that too.

Oh sorry. No problem.Wasn't trying to get too nosy:)
Was just an off the cuff curiosity.

Not a problem, just like to keep some things under my hat. Lol

An old friend told me about this recently. When he was a young man, he and his buddy spent the summer on his buddy’s family Utah ranch. At dinner one night he asked the rancher how many acres he owned. The dinner table went silent. He later found out that asking a rancher how many acres he had was akin to asking how much money he had.

It’s the easiest thing in the world to look up county records online and see how large given chunks of land are and the landowner. It’s public information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom