Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never tasted Japanese wagyu, maybe soon.

Costco runs a promotion every autumn for a Japanese Wagyu A5 ribeye roast. I bought one a couple of years ago -- $999 for a 12 pounder. Cut it into about 15 steaks (cut thin because it's so rich) and enjoyed them for the next year. There's really nothing that can compare to the real thing, not even SRF's best stuff.

^ That is a bit expensive for me to be just the middle man in passing it through.

^ That is a bit expensive for me to be just the middle man in passing it through.

I'd never pay that but $40 ($79 a pound) is the going rate in many restaurants for an 8 ounce steak steak dinner.

I had an 8 ounce ribeye at home last night, along with side dishes and a couple beer it cost me about $15 but at a restaurant I would have paid $40 - $60.

Costco occasionally has Prime Rib eye Cap steaks for around $20 a pound. That is my favorite steak by far. However I've never tried Waygu...

This is probably a stupid knee jerk reaction to babysitting my sister's not-completely-housebroken rescue puppy....

In 2005 I took off for a weekend and my sprinkler system decided to water my family room carpet. I cut it back and let it dry out. Getting back to the puppy .... he decided to find & shred the pad. Then he decided to poop on the recent (2010) living room carpet. Yeah. NOT.MY.DOG. So I made an appointment to have 1 professional cleaned and replacing the other [+ kitchen / laundry room / bath] with wood. I think. They're coming out next week to give estimates. It's only about 1000 sq ft. I've got a week to figure out either:
- oak (already have some of that)
- bamboo
- laminate or is it engineered?? Really clueless
WWYD?

I am sort of like Harley, I am FI, but find it hard to break the frugality barrier.
After reading about jamon de Iberico, i was curious about it. I found some sliced in 2 ounce packages on Amazon and bought a couple. The ham was excellent.
Also with all the talk of Wagyu beef, I waned to taste it. My local gourmet restaurant featured Wagyu burgers on night, so DW and got some. They were also excellent.:)
OTOH, I am the guy who spent $2500 to fly a P-51 and $2200 to fly a MiG-15
YMMV

That's a good spend :)

I am sort of like Harley, I am FI, but find it hard to break the frugality barrier.
After reading about jamon de Iberico, i was curious about it. I found some sliced in 2 ounce packages on Amazon and bought a couple. The ham was excellent.
Also with all the talk of Wagyu beef, I waned to taste it. My local gourmet restaurant featured Wagyu burgers on night, so DW and got some. They were also excellent.:)
OTOH, I am the guy who spent $2500 to fly a P-51 and $2200 to fly a MiG-15
YMMV
It's all about priorities.

Just because you spend a lot on one thing doesn't mean you spend a lot on everything.

Last edited:
This is probably a stupid knee jerk reaction to babysitting my sister's not-completely-housebroken rescue puppy....

In 2005 I took off for a weekend and my sprinkler system decided to water my family room carpet. I cut it back and let it dry out. Getting back to the puppy .... he decided to find & shred the pad. Then he decided to poop on the recent (2010) living room carpet. Yeah. NOT.MY.DOG. So I made an appointment to have 1 professional cleaned and replacing the other [+ kitchen / laundry room / bath] with wood. I think. They're coming out next week to give estimates. It's only about 1000 sq ft. I've got a week to figure out either:
- oak (already have some of that)
- bamboo
- laminate or is it engineered?? Really clueless
WWYD?

Personally I'd do oak in the kitchen and tile in the laundry /bath areas. Of course I am biased as that is what we did except it was wide pine instead of oak. Not a big fan of wood floors in a bathroom.:)

It's all about priorities.

Just because you spend a lot on on thing doesn't mean you spend a lot of everything.

Exactly.

It's all about choices and priorities. A limitless supply of cash not withstanding, we must all choose that which we want to blow the dough on. And I'm sure that's what we all do.

Personally I'd do oak in the kitchen and tile in the laundry /bath areas. Of course I am biased as that is what we did except it was wide pine instead of oak. Not a big fan of wood floors in a bathroom.:)
I think that's been my mental block.

Ok: rethink: are you happy with wood in the kitchen? My kitchen / dining room is in immitation wood. So if I'm doing the BR in something other than wood, do I also skip the kitchen? Then its just 15'×19' and a lot cheaper

Last edited:
gayl,

Depends ��

If you ever plan to sell, consider what is popular.
If you don’t plan to sell, get what you like.
If it is on wood joists, wood is good, but tile dan work with increased subfloor thickness.
If it is on concrete, tile is good - but SF gets a bit cool for tile? (lived there for a year)
If you get wood, you need to decide whether prefinished, or finish on site.

I don’t like wood in kitchens or bathroom due to water damage - this particularly an issue with oak as it swells a lot.

Laminate is “interesting,” but still noisy compared to nail down, tongue and groove wood.

My kids can sell the house after I die ..... hopefully thats so far in the future that the floors (at least carpets) will need replacing anyway. Their issue not mine

gayl,

Depends ��

If it is on wood joists, wood is good, but tile dan work with increased subfloor thickness.
If it is on concrete, tile is good - but SF gets a bit cool for tile? (lived there for a year)

I don’t like wood in kitchens or bathroom due to water damage - this particularly an issue with oak as it swells a lot.

Laminate is “interesting,” but still noisy compared to nail down, tongue and groove wood.
Floor heat is not a big deal if you plan for it. Our master bathroom is 84 degrees whenever we want that. DW does not want tile in the kitchen, but I like the bombproof nature of it.

Last edited:
I think that's been my mental block.

Ok: rethink: are you happy with wood in the kitchen? My kitchen / dining room is in immitation wood. So if I'm doing the BR in something other than wood, do I also skip the kitchen? Then its just 15'×19' and a lot cheaper
i like wood in our kitchen but we have a timber frame house and it is open concept and the entire first floor except the bathroom and mudroom is 21 inch wide pine so it looks appropriate.

gayl,

Depends ��

I've had wood (maple) in my kitchen for 20 years and there's no water damage. I wouldn't put it in a bathroom, though.

Some laminate is glued down which eliminates "clicking" noise. I have 3/4" laminate in the bedrooms and it's completely noise free (floating, not glued). It also came with a 10 year commercial or 35 year residential warranty. Installation was easy and it looks great.

Engineered hardwood is well made these days. Some luxury vinyl plank is also very well made and will outperform wood. The options are endless.

OK, so I already dropped $770 on the copper platter (earlier post). From 2 rock shops, adding a double ammonite fossil with fine crystalline lines, a multi-trilobite piece, an amethyst piece with very large (2-3 in) crystals and nice color (near museum quality), and a 30-40 lb piece of picture sandstone. $1060.

We Just Bought a House in Virginia!

It's unfortunate, but we have to move and it's just about the worst time historically to be house shopping. Over the past 2 months DW and I have been house hunting and have experienced nothing but frustration and anguish. Many of the houses we looked at were listed at top dollar, but needed substantial work. Most were not maintained and were dirty. And these houses ended up with multiple offers over an already high list price.

But our presistence finally paid off. Last night our offer was accepted!:dance:

It's a beautiful well-maintained house in a quiet upscale neighborhood. We are ecstatic. Boy, did we Blow that Dough!

Since our substantial offer on another place was too low, I knew we had to go all out, or look in another state and move away from my son and grandson.

House listed for $520. We submitted a cash offer (with funds documentation from the bank), no contengencies (a home inspector examined the property beforehand and said it was in great shape). The offer used an escalation clause. Because we are so desperate to move we set the cap at $725k, with $5k increments. For example, if the highest offer is $600k, our offer becomes $605k. We got it for $617k.:dance:

Last edited:
It's unfortunate, but we have to move and it's just about the worst time historically to be house shopping. Over the past 2 months DW and I have been house hunting and have experienced nothing but frustration and anguish. Many of the houses we looked at were listed at top dollar, but needed substantial work. Most were not maintained and were dirty. And these houses ended up with multiple offers over an already high list price.

It's a beautiful well-maintained house in a quiet upscale neighborhood. We are ecstatic. Boy, did we Blow that Dough!

Since our substantial offer on another place was too low, I knew we had to go all out, or look in another state and move away from my son and grandson.

House listed for $520. We submitted a cash offer (with funds documentation from the bank), no contengencies (a home inspector examined the property beforehand and said it was in great shape). The offer used an escalation clause. Because we are so desperate to move we set the cap at $725k, with $5k increments. For example, if the highest offer is $600k, our offer becomes $605k. We got it for $617k.:dance:
Congratulations! I know it's been a long journey. So glad the price didn't get too close to your cap. Have you sold you recurrent house yet? If not, maybe your house will go high as well? How's your wife doing?

Thank you for asking tmm99; she is much better, almost back to normal since her fall while at the first house we looked at. She does not need surgery for her broken nose. Looks like Medicare and United Healthcare supplemental covered all of her ER expenses.

We will close in about a month (at the sellers' request), move, and then will sell the curent house. We estimate it will sell for about $100 to $150 k less than the one we are buying, but we do own it free and clear and think it will sell for about $100k more than what we paid for it almost 2 years ago. We also discovered from an IRS publication we won't be subject to capital gains when we sell our house, even though it will not have been 2 years since we sold an older primary residence. The IRS makes an exception to the two year rule if you must move for health reasons.

We are extremely thankful we lived beneath our means for many years and built up a sizable cash reserve, in addition to our 401ks and Roth IRAs, both of which we have not had to tap. We had no idea we would need a large portion of our cash for this and don't know what we would have done otherwise. We are still getting smoked out on a daily basis (we thought it would end beginning in April, but its been cold here with a persistent westerly wind). We can not wait to move and experience clean air.

Last edited:

I am SO HAPPY for you! :dance: :clap: You and your DW are going to have a wonderful summer in your new home. So glad to hear that she has recovered from that bad fall for the most part.

Couldn't decide whether this should be in "last order from Amazon" or Blow That Dough!

I think here since this is utterly unnecessary, but FUN.

OK, sort of fun ... had mechanical timers for lamps, etc at one point - then electronic timers - this is wifi enabled, software controllable from anywhere, built is timer and grouping functions ... or, is supposed to be. On order!

https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Requi...Pack+[Upgraded+Version]&qid=1618506056&sr=8-1

Just got my 4 pack of those Smart Plugs. Very cool. Downloaded the app. Should be able to do everything I used to be able to do with X10s.... but more reliable. Even the wall switches are reasonable priced.

Great to hear about your wife's speedy recovery, Nate! And no surgery!

I'm very happy to hear that everything is coming together nicely (finally)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom