Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! If all goes well, I should trade my 2001 corvette on a new wrangler within the next 10 days.
Congratulations. Pictures please.

Congratulations dm, nice looking Gladiator.

What engine are you both getting?

Heh, heh, Ronstar, tell me about the 2001 Vette. Who knows, maybe I could hide it from DW. No, wait. I forgot. the bridge isn't done yet. YMMV

We just cancelled our world cruise that was scheduled to leave Jan ‘22 and booked a 21 day cruise through the Nordic countries including Russia - leaving August ‘22. Not a BTD but rather a substantial savings. The DW is already making plans to fill in the void with road trips. So, hang on.....

Paid $1,000 for a summer season of on-demand beach chairs and umbrella for the Beautiful Princess. She was willing to call it a birthday present. Love that lady! :)

Never too interested in jeeps in general, though my dad had a Willys Overland ca. 1951 for his business (the delivery part) which doubled as our station wagon. We 4 (at the time - heh, heh, started the 5th - apparently on this trip) piled in and drove to Grandma's house in Florida in 1952. Mom and dad dumped us on Grandma and went to their trade association meeting - and other things.

My understanding is that Jeep owners are only 2nd in loyalty to Subaru owners. YMMV
Jeeps do bring back some great memories. I've had one wrangler and 3 grand Cherokees - don't really have a loyalty to Jeep - just want one for a change.

I'll post pics when I get it. Not many Jeeps on the dealer lots. I'm getting one to tide me over until my Bronco comes in - probably a year. So I'll take whatever engine I can get - probably the little 2.0 L.

Heh, heh, Ronstar, tell me about the 2001 Vette. Who knows, maybe I could hide it from DW. No, wait. I forgot. the bridge isn't done yet. YMMV

Would be tough to get it to your place without a bridge or boat. It's 20 years old, 90k miles and starting to show some wear.

Yes, it is good price in today's world but the same building priced last year was around $75K but didn't had the funds available!

Congrats for pulling the trigger! Having just had my small, (1800 sq. ft.) building finished, you definitely won't regret it!

Booked 6 cruises Friday so I went online today and ordered 4 pants, 2 skirts, 2 sandals, need 6 tops. Ya see I get 1 new outfit for each trip. Hope most fit otherwise I'm returning. No alterations. At least Macys was good about taking things back

Blew $1200 on a new garden fence, stain, new posts, and concrete to set them 3 weeks ago. Garden goes in the ground today. Phase II will be ongoing, DW wants a greenhouse so start her plants, she says. She really wants a place for me to store the tiller, mower, spreader and snowblower, other than the garage or the shop/winery.

Ordered one of these today. As of now, the plan is to sell the main home next spring, and live at the lake full time... where there is about an acre of grass to mow. I have an aging Scotts John Deere tractor mower at each place, but getting tired of parts flying off and broken belts. This thing will make cutting the grass efficient at fast. 54" cut at 4 mph. Did a good bit of research on these zero turn mowers and this one got my nod.

Attachments

• HVZ254F.png
    HVZ254F.png
    243 KB · Views: 86
Last Fall started a practice of getting wads of cash out of the bank, actual paper bills, big ones, and giving the three kids envelopes of a few thousand cash each as presents for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents Day, and latest Memorial Day.

The kids like this practice!

Last Fall started a practice of getting wads of cash out of the bank, actual paper bills, big ones, and giving the three kids envelopes of a few thousand cash each as presents for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents Day, and latest Memorial Day.

The kids like this practice!

My grandfather used to give us brand new bills many times he saw us, but only $20. We did look forward to his visits. lol

Thinking about giving our adult kids a couple thousand for OUR wedding anniversary . They'll be surprised!

Our current top 5 non-travel related "blow that dough" plans for 2021 - lets see if I can actually achieve them:

1. Renovate our 1/2 bathroom. Good news is, it is a small job - bathroom is only 4' x 5', no changing of the plumbing which was redone last year. Just tear out and replace existing toilet, wall and floor tile (and redo drywall behind the 4' high wall tile), and vanity. We already have the tile, enough from what was left from renovating our other 2 bathrooms. The bad news, it is a small job; my contractor friend who redid the previous 2 bathrooms (and a GREAT job) is my preference but he is busy so may be a challenge to get on his schedule. I am willing to be his "demo" assistant and help tear out and haul away the existing stuff, so we'll see.

2. Get a fireplace insert. Our existing fireplace is nice, but burning wood is more decorative than efficient. As a result we have not used it much, and not at all for over 5 years and not since we last had it cleaned. So time to make use of it and getting an insert installed (as well as a new chimney liner) is on the table.

3. Better golf clubs. My current ones are a "beginners" set (Callaway Strata) and are 8 years old. Since retiring I have been playing a lot of rounds with them so they are getting a beating. Right now I am considering going the full lessons + fitting route at one of the nearby chains to at least identify the best type of clubs for me.

4. Replace one of our cars. There are no issues with our older cars other than they are 2011 Toyota models that we bought used in 2013. DW will be fully retired as of May, and her Corolla still has less than 60K miles on it; she loves the car so we will stick with this one, though I am seeing very good prices from Carmax on it. The Camry has $126K miles so it is a likely candidate.

5. Replace the carpet in our master bedroom closet area. I replaced the bedroom carpet with laminate flooring and we love it. We had bought enough to do this area but instead decided to do the 2nd floor hallway because it was easier. There is still some left but the area is L shaped with a walk-in closet and 2 other closet, so figuring out the laminate pattern and cutting will be a pain. I am looking at a easier method, maybe vinyl times is an option. The area is between our bedroom and the bathroom so something that is good in a damp environment and easy to install is desired.

BTD update:

#1 - completed. Yay! Though it came in at about half of what I was planning to spend (planned on $3K, spent less than $1.5K). Contractor charged me less than I though for his labor, and me doing all the cleanup and painting made a difference.

#3 - Just ordered a new driver, the final piece of my upgrade. New driver, fairway wood, and irons total so far about $667.

Will take a break for a couple of weeks and start to work on items 2, 4, 5 :).

Ordered one of these today. As of now, the plan is to sell the main home next spring, and live at the lake full time... where there is about an acre of grass to mow. I have an aging Scotts John Deere tractor mower at each place, but getting tired of parts flying off and broken belts. This thing will make cutting the grass efficient at fast. 54" cut at 4 mph. Did a good bit of research on these zero turn mowers and this one got my nod.

That is really nice.

Did you look at Ariens? I have a Ariens IKON XD 52 Zero Turn Mower (Kawasaki) brought from https://saffordequipment.com. I looked at box store models like you mentioned but I felt Ariens was a better value. 11 gauge welded deck is what sold me on Ariens, everything else was same including the price.

Last edited:

Good for you! You'll love the comfort, speed and performance.

I like your mower. I cant pronounce the name, but they make good stuff. Got one myself, but I have to push it.

I like your mower. I cant pronounce the name, but they make good stuff. Got one myself, but I have to push it.

Just call it "Husky" :LOL:

I think they make good equipment. Had a Husqvarna backpack leaf blower some years ago that was incredibly powerful and totally reliable.

I'm so glad you liked it! The case was just to get the price down.
My local Martin's grocery had the Cooper & Thief bourbon barrel wine on sale for $27. $21.59 if you bought 6. I put one in my cart, thought about it for about 15 seconds, then piled another 5 bottles in the cart. Too good to pass up!

First time posting to this thread. But, I figured this probably qualifies. I bought a BOAT. It's in caps because, as I've learned, it's not a "thing", it's an "acronym": Break Out Another Thousand. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, spending almost every weekend on it.

Attachments

• 912D1EF1-F4F2-4B6B-A5BE-4967CBD84EE7_1_201_a.jpg
    912D1EF1-F4F2-4B6B-A5BE-4967CBD84EE7_1_201_a.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 112
That's a nice boat!

Now, you've got to post about your cruising the bay and fishing trips. Can you take it up the coast?

PS. I know nothing about boats. I do know that they guzzle a lot of fuel, hence the range may be limited depending on the fuel tanks.

Last edited:
Wow!
Way out of my league but I just know you'll enjoy the heck out of it for years to come. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom