Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise man. I don't do my own boat service either.

Just booked us 2 nights at the Monterey Bay Inn. Deluxe ocean view, you can hear the slosh, it's only 20 feet away. Sixteen fifty!

Yup. You pay for the view and the slosh.

Still cheaper then buying oceanfront property Robbie so you are actually saving money. Once again I'm disappointed in you.:dance:

BTW a close needs to make an emergency trip West due to a death in the family. I was trying pre scout her some places to sleep as she planned her overnights. Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield Inns in mid Nebraska off of I-80 all at 200 plus per night before tax.

Still cheaper then buying oceanfront property Robbie so you are actually saving money. Once again I'm disappointed in you.:dance:

Posters are now cheering Robbie to blow more dough on a yacht instead of a fishing boat, and now an oceanfront property. Spend, spend, spend...

Do they want to see Robbie driven to bankruptcy, like ivinsfan's friend described in her thread? Schadenfreude? :(

The last time I stayed at the MBI the rooms were ~$350, now $700. Me thinks it's covid related, time to recover the losses.

Will be BTD sometime soon--need a new whole house AC unit. Ours is 17 years old and the past two years, the HVAC guy has been warning us it is aging fast. And the very hot summer we are having here is not helping!
Waiting for the company to call and talk with us on options.

Looks good to me!
panoramic-oceanfront.jpg

That's the place! On the ocean side there is like a 5 foot sidewalk between the hotel wall and the big rock wall that the waves hit that makes the slosh. The view is amazing, but the sound of that slosh at the same time is intoxicating. I just set up on the balcony with binoculars and soak in in for hours at a time. Sea otters float around in the bay and munch food they rest on their bellies.

Posters are now cheering Robbie to blow more dough on a yacht instead of a fishing boat, and now an oceanfront property. Spend, spend, spend...

Do they want to see Robbie driven to bankruptcy, like ivinsfan's friend described in her thread? Schadenfreude? :(

If Robbie goes down, we'll all go down..:D

New Deck and Patio BTD

I finally get to post to this thread... :dance: :D

Highlights include:
415sq ft of maint free deck.
52" wide stairs
Build on 16" , 6x6 treated with tripled up header with 52" deep footings
Gained stair access to back which was always a big want for our fam...

which allowed us access to the patio build we completed:

20 x 30 patio with two toned hardener, extra rebar and class IV
Extra 2 110a and 1 220a run for 85" Bravia you see a future hot tub
110 run for the 2 ceiling fans
Steel under decking with a single 30' gutter run on each side.

Gutters
New Door
New Patio Furniture
All new landscape
5 zone irrigation
Newly graded lawn

BTD 2021 baby! @Robbie :greetings10:
20210708_104954.jpg

20210623_170343_HDR.jpg

20210523_184904.jpg

20210702_230053_HDR.jpg

20210712_203751_HDR.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!! I bet you spend a lot of time there enjoying it.

Sweet! I like the deck / patio design. Deck when it's cool and you can hide from the sun on the patio when it's hot.

Good Job!

That's gonna look cool! Total stealth until you pop the hood - :)

You gonna install or hire?

Buddy (the one half a mil in debt at 76) put a blower on his Camaro. No need to pop the hood. You can hear the blower whine just above idle. Of course, now, he's taking the blower off the Camaro and is putting it on his Vette. (Did I mention he's half a mil in debt?) I guess he is taking "blow that dough" to the next level. Now he's "Blowing That Vette." :facepalm:

If Robbie goes down, we'll all go down..:D

Speak for yourself. :cool:

With my WR being less than 1% right now, if the market crashes and it goes up to 4%, y'all will be [-]up to your eyebrows[/-] swimming in shark-infested deep water. >:D

Did you have any problems with overheating? I'm setting it up for 6 psi boost, so not a lot. And the 6.0 LS engine and 6 speed auto are almost indestructible. Just worried that it may get hot pulling the long 6% grades around here. I have no intention to drive it like I stole it, just wanted a little more oomph for towing.

Some guys take these up to 14 psi and higher and get 800 hp out of them. Yikes.

No overheating issues at all. I already had the heavy duty towing package on the truck which has extra cooling from factory. I only ever got about 6 psi max boost. My supercharger was a Whipple, similar to your picture. My 92 454 was stock from valve covers down, this era of the big blocks was set up with very mild cam and heads with the smallest ports; like I said it was for low rpm torque. I did put headers and exhaust system on it. I could lay down 4 stripes with the dually rear tires and nothing in the bed. Stock it would struggle for 4500 rpm, after the supercharger and headers it would pull to 5500. Still very safe and 6 psi was nothing to cause problems. Double the boost and you probably want to have forged pistons, but the LS 6.0 have very strong bottom end that can handle a lot. You will be happy with the 6 psi boost if your intention is improved towing.

No overheating issues at all. I already had the heavy duty towing package on the truck which has extra cooling from factory. I only ever got about 6 psi max boost. My supercharger was a Whipple, similar to your picture. My 92 454 was stock from valve covers down, this era of the big blocks was set up with very mild cam and heads with the smallest ports; like I said it was for low rpm torque. I did put headers and exhaust system on it. I could lay down 4 stripes with the dually rear tires and nothing in the bed. Stock it would struggle for 4500 rpm, after the supercharger and headers it would pull to 5500. Still very safe and 6 psi was nothing to cause problems. Double the boost and you probably want to have forged pistons, but the LS 6.0 have very strong bottom end that can handle a lot. You will be happy with the 6 psi boost if your intention is improved towing.

Coolio! I figure the 6.0 6L90 combo can handle 6 psi worth of power without mods. Others are crying wolf and saying it will blow up. I have a hard time believing that.

Just got a Sonos Arc soundbar to replace my Sonos Beam. Was skeptical but the Arc is worth twice as much as the Beam. I love clear voices and the Arc delivers. With the Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds, it is a great system.

I finally get to post to this thread... :dance: :D

Highlights include:
415sq ft of maint free deck.
52" wide stairs
Build on 16" , 6x6 treated with tripled up header with 52" deep footings
Gained stair access to back which was always a big want for our fam...

which allowed us access to the patio build we completed:

20 x 30 patio with two toned hardener, extra rebar and class IV
Extra 2 110a and 1 220a run for 85" Bravia you see a future hot tub
110 run for the 2 ceiling fans
Steel under decking with a single 30' gutter run on each side.

Gutters
New Door
New Patio Furniture
All new landscape
5 zone irrigation
Newly graded lawn

BTD 2021 baby!

Beautiful project! I like the added treatment on the posts. That looks so much nicer than plain posts.

When we moved here in 1983 the only access to the backyard was through the back of the garage. It was very awkward! We changed a window in the breakfast room to a sliding glass door and added a deck and stairs to the yard. It changed everything! After that we added a Sunsetter awning and once our weather allows it I am out there every day I can.

Enjoy your new spaces, they are beautiful!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, this outdoor space is magnificent!

We have been enjoying it with our family and friends. I can't wait to have some outdoor movie nights with the kiddos, some game day's with the friends and of course poker nights! Already had a large gathering of ~80 friends, family colleagues that got to enjoy this with us for my 40th. Our contractor finished barely in the nick of time, and we rushed to get the landscape done in the final hours. It's all impressive! Better than we expected. I had lots of control being the GC on the project, so it was nice, but stressful.

The toughest part...

Picking the colors. Ended up returning the first batch of brown steel for the cream you see as we decided it would get too hot, and be too dark down under the deck. The price of steel skyrocketed 1.5x, but it was the right move.

We still have some painting to do, and the contractor missed a small spot of caulk on the under deck to stop the sole small drip. All in all, we are happy!

Well they say hotels in Hawaii have jacked up prices this summer, willing to endure higher vacancy, just to net more per room.

So yeah covid recovery seems to be a real thing.

Wonder what $700 a night gets you in Hawaii this summer.

Well they say hotels in Hawaii have jacked up prices this summer, willing to endure higher vacancy, just to net more per

Want to blow some dough?
Just try to rent a car, almost anywhere, if you can even get one. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom