Blow that Dough 2024

DW turns 60 in March, so we are going to Cancun with our two sons and one son's GF. It will be our 8th time at this particular resort - we sort of like it.
I'm taking my son for a guys weekend...well, sunday to wednesday anyway. one of the royalton resorts. never been. airfare was more than the hotel, by a lot.

decided couple hours of ago to buy the adele tickets a friend offered up within minutes. Just booked my flights and hotel into vegas 2/2. Got kids squared away with a sleepover and dog booked overnight in a boarding. say la vie! I said I wanted to go for over a year and I was eyeing tickets when we were going memorial day weekend but $1500 a ticket! Instead at least I got them for $750 list price for better seats than i was looking at.

The peanut butter twin pack is a bargain. But my wife doesn't like the calories so I lost that battle. I need to use the survival food angle next time, it may work as she is a non-radicalized prepper (i.e. normal person) and would like that idea.

I love the precooked bacon but she stopped buying it because of the salt content...huh? What is bacon without salt I ask her?

DW and Went to Costco yesterday. We wanted bagged salad.

20 minutes later, we walked out with $500 of groceries.

Jerky was on sale - excellent snack for a high protein/low carb diet.

DW's protein drinks were on sale (even then, they're over $1 each! - I thought my Diet Pepsi habit was expensive!)

We supply Ensure to a disabled lady from our church and picked up 5 cases because (wait for it) it was on sale.

Pre-cooked bacon was on sale - we can't make it from scratch for the sale price - and the Kirkland brand tastes better than I can fry from scratch. I bought 5 packs. One for the fridge and 4 for the freezer.

Chunky Skimpy (sic) Peanut Butter 2-packs were on sale. (By the way, I call Jif, "GYP" but I digress - even more.)

Speaking of digression: I consider PB to be the perfect hurricane/tsunami/dock-strike food. Lots of nutrition, lots of calories, flavorful. Mix it with cereal, or put on stale crackers or eat it with a spoon. If you're not allergic to it and if you like the flavor, one 2-pack of 48 oz PB can keep a human alive (with sufficient subsistence calories) for 2 weeks. The price for a 2-pack was $10. Heh, heh, I can see it now. Ko'olau brags about a yearly grocery bill of (wait for it) $10 X 52 weeks/2 = $260. OH, that's time 2 for 2 people.:blush: Make it $600. And, think what I would save on Ozempic! (Not actually using the stuff, but...)

But HEY! I really do miss Robbie! Please come back and remind us how to BTD.

Getting ready to BTD on 2024 travel. Well actually it's already started...some plane tickets purchased, some car rentals booked, some airbnbs paid for...

New Zealand in a month for a month (hiking and touring)
Indonesia in April (visiting a friend on Java then exploring Sumatra and Sulawesi)
Montenegro and Albania in May (hiking)
Capital Reef and Great Basin NPs in July (yes, hiking)
Cornwall and Wales in August (not so much hiking)

... and more to follow!

Not a very high BTD compared to many post. I bought a used truck to have down here at my snowbird place. 2004 F-150 ext cab. Less than $4K all in with tax and reg. Have a few things to work on and fix or make better, might go little over $4K by the time I'm done. Now I can haul anything needed and have a second vehicle available.

Attachments

• As Rec Right Rear.jpg
    As Rec Right Rear.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 10
Not a very high BTD compared to many post. I bought a used truck to have down here at my snowbird place. 2004 F-150 ext cab. Less than $4K all in with tax and reg. Have a few things to work on and fix or make better, might go little over $4K by the time I'm done. Now I can haul anything needed and have a second vehicle available.

Nice, good find!:D

That is a great buy!!! Looks in good shape if I may ask how many miles and is it 4-wheel drive?

Looks like you are crossing over to the dark with a Ford. Lol

That is a great buy!!! Looks in good shape if I may ask how many miles and is it 4-wheel drive?

180K miles and 2WD; has the 4.6 V8 which I prefer over the more problems 5.4 V8. Don't need 4x4 in FL, plus I have my Jeep if I want to go off-road, see avatar pic. Truck is rust free, especially compared to a typical 2004 back in OH. Paint on hood and roof is a bit weathered and some scratches around the bed and tailgate, that's one of my projects for improvement. See if I can polish it out some. Rest is couple check engine light items and some preventative maintenance items.

180K miles and 2WD; has the 4.6 V8 which I prefer over the more problems 5.4 V8. Don't need 4x4 in FL, plus I have my Jeep if I want to go off-road, see avatar pic. Truck is rust free, especially compared to a typical 2004 back in OH. Paint on hood and roof is a bit weathered and some scratches around the bed and tailgate, that's one of my projects for improvement. See if I can polish it out some. Rest is couple check engine light items and some preventative maintenance items.

You did good. It seems around here if you find a pickup for 4K you need to push it home or drag it home.

Pretty close to purchasing my first truck (a used 2022 Honda Ridge line, not considered a truck by many but fine enough for me) and signing up for a trip for 2 w/my bride of 41 years to Greece traveling there in late May. That's a lot$$ for us-

Always enjoyed reading RobbieB come back!!

My 2017 Ridgeline is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Nice looking truck! Hard to believe it's 20 years old. You picked a good time to get out of The 'Nati. Cold up here.

Getting ready to BTD on 2024 travel. Well actually it's already started...some plane tickets purchased, some car rentals booked, some airbnbs paid for...

New Zealand in a month for a month (hiking and touring)
Indonesia in April (visiting a friend on Java then exploring Sumatra and Sulawesi)
Montenegro and Albania in May (hiking)
Capital Reef and Great Basin NPs in July (yes, hiking)
Cornwall and Wales in August (not so much hiking)

... and more to follow!

That sounds great! We've been to the Mighty 5, Cornwall, and Wales. We are similarly booked up this year for a month out west, Ireland, UP of Michigan, and Nevada.

Remodeling the exterior of my 22'x20' detached workshop. New metal roof. New soffit and Fascia. New LP smartside siding, new carriage doors, new exterior lighting, metal roofed awnings over the service door and carriage doors. The remodel will probably cost more $ than the $20k it cost me to build it 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Remodeling the exterior of my 22'x20' detached workshop. New metal roof. New soffit and Fascia. New LP smartside siding, new carriage doors, new exterior lighting, metal roofed awnings over the service door and carriage doors.

Wow! You going to do the work yourself Ron? I hope you will keep us posted on the remodel always fun to follow construction projects.

Wow! You going to do the work yourself Ron? I hope you will keep us posted on the remodel always fun to follow construction projects.

I'll probably do everything but the roof. Got an online cost of $15k for carriage doors, so I'm making my own. I'll post some progress pics along the way.

I'll probably do everything but the roof. Got an online cost of $15k for carriage doors, so I'm making my own. I'll post some progress pics along the way.

Doing the work is a good thing to stay in shape, challenges the mind, and a feel of real accomplishment. Looking forward to your new challenge as you move forward.

Thanks, Ronstar

This is small potatoes compared to most posts here but after updating our net worth New Years Day I reprogrammed our thermostat up two degrees from the past. And will lower the a/c temp next summer. 30 years of the same temperature is a mental hurdle but fun challenge.

This is small potatoes compared to most posts here but after updating our net worth New Years Day I reprogrammed our thermostat up two degrees from the past. And will lower the a/c temp next summer. 30 years of the same temperature is a mental hurdle but fun challenge.
:)

Bought our retirement road trip vehicle 1-1/2 years early!

Happy New Year, all!
Well we picked up our brand-spankin'-new 2024 Chevrolet Trax on the 2nd of this month. We wanted a decent-mileage, semi-roomy small wagon-ish vehicle for taking road trips once we retired hopefully next June. With prices going up so quickly lately, we ordered it last June. It finally showed up right at the end of 2023.
Total cost with options was $22,900. We got $500 off for the educator credit but other than that, no discounts off the list price since there aren't any of these models sitting on lots around here - they sell as soon as they hit the lot.
Here's a similar one:
0553f867439e73154718986a99357046.jpg

Should be a decent road-trip vehicle for us. YMMV. :dance:

Have our concrete floors redone while we vacation here in Kauai for three weeks - the last week we are flying our kids in as well. All great things other than the price tag. Better to spend it than leaving it to the kids when we are gone.

Happy New Year, all!
Well we picked up our brand-spankin'-new 2024 Chevrolet Trax on the 2nd of this month. We wanted a decent-mileage, semi-roomy small wagon-ish vehicle for taking road trips once we retired hopefully next June. With prices going up so quickly lately, we ordered it last June. It finally showed up right at the end of 2023.
Total cost with options was $22,900. We got $500 off for the educator credit but other than that, no discounts off the list price since there aren't any of these models sitting on lots around here - they sell as soon as they hit the lot.
Here's a similar one:
0553f867439e73154718986a99357046.jpg

Should be a decent road-trip vehicle for us. YMMV. :dance:
I like them and that is a great price. Congrat on your new ride.

Splurged on Business class plane tickets for me and DW. Also rented a nice Audi A6 wagon for our trip. We'll be flying to Europe in April - early May covering Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Busy doing the planning and itinerary now. Probably $14K for this European trip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom