Blow that Dough 2024

DW just tacked on a 3 day 4 night Speyside whiskey hike onto the already arranged Ft. Williams to Inverness hike. It was only another $550. Right now the flight to Inverness is about as much as the original hike (accomodations, breakfasts and baggage transfers, and dinners for several nights in very rural B&Bs).

We just had to spend about $1,200 repairing one of our cars, a 2007 Lexus. It has almost 190K miles on it now, so we are probably going to buy a new car before something really major has to be repaired. Between buying a car, vacations yet to be planned, and paying off several 0% credit cards we took advantage of to buy things for our new home in FL, our cash outflow for 2024 will be pretty big.

Every time I start stressing about it, I remind myself that we sold two properties in CA and have a lower COL now in FL, so being in BTD mode now is OK. Plus, we retired over 7 years ago and have substantially more financial assets than we did then, and presumably we are 7 years closer to not needing money any longer.

Very much how we look at it. Savings and Net Worth keep growing so we keep spending. Off tomorrow for a 14 day Antártica cruise! When we get back I want to build a deck and put in a hot tub! Yes getting older and time to enjoy life is getting shorter. So if your outflow is less than your inflow and your budgeting is well thought out and your reserves and investments are in place then hell yeah, BTD and enjoy yourself!

Ordered a bottle of Compass Box Hedonism for $159.99, the most I’ve ever paid for a bottle of anything. Also ordered two bottles of Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood.
They raised the price to $121.98. Too bad my “medicine” can’t be purchased through my Part D plan. 😂

Ordered a bottle of Compass Box Hedonism for $159.99, the most I’ve ever paid for a bottle of anything. Also ordered two bottles of Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood.
They raised the price to $121.98. Too bad my “medicine” can’t be purchased through my Part D plan. ��

Fond memories, but when DW, my yewt working at Microsoft, and I hiked the West Highland Way (6 or 7 years ago), we were staying at the Bridge of Orchy B&B hotel (I think, but it could have been a small hotel B&B a day or two earlier on the hike. I was drunk.). The yewt and I were drinking Scotch and the bartender liked us, so gave us each 3 shots of the Balvenie Double Wood. For the price of one shot, since we said we loved it. 5 pounds each, total.

Last edited:
We had to divert a bit off path to Bridge of Spaen, which is off track, probably because the agency couldn't book us in that last segment on the usual route. I liked Bridge of Spaen so much I considered buying a cottage there, which would have really been blow the dough.

I'm going to All American Reclaim today to blow some dough. Getting some barn wood that will probably cost me at least 10 times more than the barn wood I get way out in the boonies. And probably buy some antique hardware. And whatever else I see that I want. I can't control myself when I go to this place. Luckily it's 1.5 hours away.

DW just tacked on a 3 day 4 night Speyside whiskey hike onto the already arranged Ft. Williams to Inverness hike. It was only another $550. Right now the flight to Inverness is about as much as the original hike (accomodations, breakfasts and baggage transfers, and dinners for several nights in very rural B&Bs).
Oooh! One of my closest friends and whisky-tasting companions is doing a distillery tour this summer, and after he booked it he asked if any of the rest of us wanted to join him....but he booked it right when we've already booked a family trip! :facepalm: Maybe next year.

They raised the price to $121.98. Too bad my “medicine” can’t be purchased through my Part D plan. 😂
Slainte mhaith!

I see, blow the engine and blow the dough. ;)
Very cool, but I’m in California so it’s a no go with CARB compliance.
It is impressive how much power they get out of the 2.7 and 3.5L EB engines.
The 2.7L is base on the 4x4’s with the 3.5L EB and the 5.0L NA as optional upgrades, I opted for the 5.0L.
The dealer had several 2WD’s on the lot with the 2.7L and an extra cab with the 5.0L, I didn’t drive the 3.5L.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind if I move out of state.

The Whipple version is currently CARB certified, and I suspect the Roush version will become CARB certified for new (2022+) trucks before too long. I know Lebanon Ford have built and sold F-150s and Mustangs to CA customers in past 6 months.

The Whipple version is currently CARB certified, and I suspect the Roush version will become CARB certified for new (2022+) trucks before too long. I know Lebanon Ford have built and sold F-150s and Mustangs to CA customers in past 6 months.

In my cursory search I did not see anything that was CARB certified for the 2024 F-150.
In any case, thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I am pretty sure the stock engine will have all the power I need, but find the concept mechanically very interesting.

I think “They” are charging too much.
1000corks.com is a good place to search for bottle prices.

Responding to Dash Man

I made two recent BTD purchases: a two-week tour of Switzerland scheduled for this summer - will make a nice change from Florida weather that time of year! - and a BMW 430i. The car is two years old but had just under 6,000 miles on it and it's in pristine condition.

I'm attending John McCutcheon's Songwriting Camp - something I've wanted to do for years!

[John McCutcheon is perhaps the best American folk singer / songwriter that you've never heard of.]

It's $975 for the four-day camp, so not a huge expenditure. It's really more that I have the time to do it now.

We just bought a 27ft cabin cruiser and looking to add radar. SO and I are fully equipped to BTD! LOL Planning a trip to Captiva and one day down to the Keys. Meanwhile outfitting the new boat to our liking is BTD!

Bought this amazing, clear quartz crystal cluster for $1000, was asking $1800. The photo does not do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_5475.jpg
    IMG_5475.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 23
I'm attending John McCutcheon's Songwriting Camp - something I've wanted to do for years!

[John McCutcheon is perhaps the best American folk singer / songwriter that you've never heard of.]

It's $975 for the four-day camp, so not a huge expenditure. It's really more that I have the time to do it now.

That sounds really cool. I've often thought there must be at least a few songs someplace in my life, just trying to get out. Please let us know how it goes. We'll be looking at Youtube and Spotify for your first song!:)

So, fourth day at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Shows. Added many pieces to the quartz, and some jewelry for DW. Shown are a 19 in. amethyst piece, polychrome jasper, and a Dikelokephalina trilobite from the Ordovician Period 485-445 MYA. The trilobite is about 12 in. long. We are just a tad over $3000 combined, but have saved $1100 over asking price.

Attachments

• IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5488.jpg
    IMG_5488.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5489.jpg
    IMG_5489.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom