Blow that Dough 2024

Wow again! Especially like the amethyst, but the trilobite is also amazing.

You must have some large display cases.

That sounds really cool. I've often thought there must be at least a few songs someplace in my life, just trying to get out. Please let us know how it goes. We'll be looking at Youtube and Spotify for your first song!:)

So...

I do write songs (well, lyrics). I have parodied several.

In the science-fiction/fantasy community, this is known as "filk" (ask me about the origin sometime...)

For a long time I thought parody lyrics were an inferior type of creation - but on reflection of other parody artists I concluded that this is not the case.

Here is my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFaV1QzE-MOXAuBr2h0A6_V5xKsf0Ql6L

There is a whole universe of good music (some parody, some original) out there which most folks are not aware of.

With this songwriting camp I want to expand my creations to original melodies as well as lyrics.

Wow again! Especially like the amethyst, but the trilobite is also amazing.

You must have some large display cases.

We have a couple sets of display shelves around the house, and a large curio cabinet. For an oversize piece, we will get an oak stand.

BTW, so far we have only visited some of the many satellite shows in Tucson. The "Main" show starts Thursday.

So...

I do write songs (well, lyrics). I have parodied several.

In the science-fiction/fantasy community, this is known as "filk" (ask me about the origin sometime...)

For a long time I thought parody lyrics were an inferior type of creation - but on reflection of other parody artists I concluded that this is not the case.

Here is my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFaV1QzE-MOXAuBr2h0A6_V5xKsf0Ql6L

There is a whole universe of good music (some parody, some original) out there which most folks are not aware of.

With this songwriting camp I want to expand my creations to original melodies as well as lyrics.

Parody has certainly served Weird Al well. Best of luck and thanks for sharing.

Walked into a house full of natural gas yesterday. Already had the thirty-year-old furnace repaired once this year (replaced the igniter). Time for a new furnace. The guys were here this morning, and quotes coming later today. Wood stove heating the house for now with unusually warm temps in the Upper Midwest. Not the most fun "blow that dough" but necessary for peace of mind.

Walked into a house full of natural gas yesterday. Already had the thirty-year-old furnace repaired once this year (replaced the igniter). Time for a new furnace. The guys were here this morning, and quotes coming later today. Wood stove heating the house for now with unusually warm temps in the Upper Midwest. Not the most fun "blow that dough" but necessary for peace of mind.

Good thing you weren't smoking !!

What was the cause of the leak ?

No smokers here. We're not exactly sure. It happened once before about six weeks ago, and the repair technician replaced an igniter that was probably original to the furnace and said something about the voltage reading much lower than it was supposed to. After it happened yesterday, my wife kinda put her foot down and said "no more repairs; it's getting replaced." When the technician was first here, he said that our furnace is something he has never seen before, and it had some weird configurations.
He said the new ones have a safety preventing this kind of thing from happening. Fan blower full on blowing gas in the absence of flame.

He was facetiming with the guys in the shop who had also never seen it before (and there are some 40 year veterans in the shop (one is a family friend and co-owner). The furnace is a Coleman-Evcon "The 90"."

DW just bought the airline tickets for the hike from Ft. William to Inverness and the Spey whiskey hike. It's our 40th anniversary , so "we" decided to fly first class ( I suggested she needed to spend more money a couple days before).

It's only a bit more than twice the original fare and is more than our hikes, but---what the hell. She has never flown 1st class, I did once in grad school flying back from New York to LA, with a very rich Portuguese grad school friend. He was alone in first class and charmed the stewardess into allowing me and another friend to join him since he was all alone in first class.

Replace it immediately. As a backstory, I worked at a small slaughterhouse in Oklahoma where my parents lived for the first two summers of college, to earn board money (I had a full tuition scholarship.) To make a long, sad story short, the foreman of the butchers went on vacation for two weeks. He was a pipe smoker. When he and his wife returned, he stopped at his doorstep, lit his pipe, opened the door and the house exploded. His wife survived because he was in front of her.
Replace it now. You might want to get a hotel in the meantime.

Replace it immediately. As a backstory, I worked at a small slaughterhouse in Oklahoma where my parents lived for the first two summers of college, to earn board money (I had a full tuition scholarship.) To make a long, sad story short, the foreman of the butchers went on vacation for two weeks. He was a pipe smoker. When he and his wife returned, he stopped at his doorstep, lit his pipe, opened the door and the house exploded. His wife survived because he was in front of her.
Replace it now. You might want to get a hotel in the meantime.

I would think they have turned off the gas to the house.

As another cautionary tale, I lived in Houston for 25 years, next door to an old Phillips/Exxon, Chevron geologist and his wife. We had had a hurricane that summer, and I had bought a generator and had about 6 gallons of gasoline that it turned out we didn't need in the garage.
Frosty stopped me one evening when I came back from work and said "I smell gas." I said it's probably the gasoline cans but I'll check it out. After dinner, I went on the back porch by the pool..........and smelled gas. I went behind the garage where the pool heater was and........smelled gas. Then I heard a slight whistle.
It turned out the gas feed to my heater had a leak, a big pipe underground. I didn't know for sure what would happen, but I prayed and shut off the gas feed, then called the gas co., who didn't want to come out but I said you have to (it was early winter). They confirmed, after they checked it out.

I'm just grateful that we didn't blow ourselves up and our neighbors.

Don't screw around with gas, if you smell anything.

Last edited:
My story of gas.
At my cabin we smelled propane gas.
We soaped all the pipes and regulator and propane tanks but couldn't find it.
We kept the windows open.
We could smell it outside the cabin depending upon the wind.
I turned off the gas to the fridge and the smell stopped.

I moved the fridge to the porch as would have to take it to town to get fixed. But I got the propane guy over from a neighbor's house, and he hooked up his tank to it and couldn't find the leak. But we could smell it.
Finally he took out the pipes & burner from the fridge and turned on his gas and used a lighter.
BOOM... big fireball in front of our faces :LOL: Found the leak.
A type of leak Not reparable, as no parts available :(

My story of gas.
At my cabin we smelled propane gas.
We soaped all the pipes and regulator and propane tanks but couldn't find it.
We kept the windows open.
We could smell it outside the cabin depending upon the wind.
I turned off the gas to the fridge and the smell stopped.

I moved the fridge to the porch as would have to take it to town to get fixed. But I got the propane guy over from a neighbor's house, and he hooked up his tank to it and couldn't find the leak. But we could smell it.
Finally he took out the pipes & burner from the fridge and turned on his gas and used a lighter.
BOOM... big fireball in front of our faces :LOL: Found the leak.
A type of leak Not reparable, as no parts available :(

Gas scares the **** out of me. You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din. Glad it "worked out."

Scored two tickets to Dead and Company at the Sphere in Las Vegas! General admission but I have a cane chair.

DrRoy >> wow those pieces are beautiful!!!!

$5800 for a new Carrier furnace, installed, to be completed Thursday. Could have been worse, I suppose.

Bought this amazing, clear quartz crystal cluster for $1000, was asking $1800. The photo does not do it justice.

It is indeed beautiful. But are you sure it is quartz? It looks to me like selenite. Can you scratch it with your fingernail?

I made two recent BTD purchases: a two-week tour of Switzerland scheduled for this summer - will make a nice change from Florida weather that time of year! - and a BMW 430i. The car is two years old but had just under 6,000 miles on it and it's in pristine condition.

Love my BMW 428i. You won't love the maintenance costs. BMW = Bring Money Willingly. Seriously, it's fun to drive but they have a lot of issues and you will not get out of the shop for less than $1000 every few months when one of their cheap plastic parts breaks. It will star happening when it is about 4 years old depending on how much you drive it. I can tell you what problems you are going to have because they are well known on the internet and I have personally experienced most of them. Fortunately, a couple of zip ties and other cheap supplies will save you thousands if you are slightly handy and read the online forums!.

If you gave me a brand new BMW I would sell it immediately and buy a Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura!

It is indeed beautiful. But are you sure it is quartz? It looks to me like selenite. Can you scratch it with your fingernail?

I have some of both and know the difference. This doesn't scratch.

I picked up my new truck yesterday. It is a Toyota Tundra SR5 with a TRD package which is 4WD. Today is my birthday so I am calling it my birthday present to me. I ordered it in December of 2022. I am keeping my Jeep too so the truck is mostly just for fun. My next trip to town will include a stop at the truck topper store to blow a little more dough.

Anticipating a ~$20k tax Torpedo this year, mainly to repay 2023 ACA subsidies for DW. Had some unexpected taxable windfalls putting us over the 400Fpl. Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom