Blow that Dough 2024

Kinda small BTD. The condo we bought last summer needed a new electric furnace. The existing one still worked but was too small to heat the condo when the temperature dropped below freezing. Thankfully the gas fireplace kept us warm. New heater only cost $850.00 and the AC guy got it done within a few days. Of course this happened during the New Year holiday.

Happy Birthday, Hermit. My husband has a 2018 Toyota Tundra that he bought new that is the same as yours, except his has a V8 engine. He likes his truck and has not had any problems with it.

I picked up my new truck yesterday. It is a Toyota Tundra SR5 with a TRD package which is 4WD. Today is my birthday so I am calling it my birthday present to me. I ordered it in December of 2022. I am keeping my Jeep too so the truck is mostly just for fun. My next trip to town will include a stop at the truck topper store to blow a little more dough.

Happy Birthday! Truck sounds really nice.

$5800 for a new Carrier furnace, installed, to be completed Thursday. Could have been worse, I suppose.

Did you replace the AC too or just the furnace? Is the furnace a fancy variable speed or just basic.

I just replaced my AC and furnace with a nice Lennox for 16K, 15K after Lennox and gov'mint rebates. Very nice, huge variable speed AC to deal with SE AZ summer, mid-level furnace.

I looked into Carrier too. Carrier, Lennox, Trane/American Standard all came up tops for reliablity and satisfaction according to Consumer Reports' 10 yr study. Similar results to what they listed when I have to do this in 2013 on another house, but boy costs have gone up, by a factor of 3X! $$$ :facepalm:

Love my BMW 428i. You won't love the maintenance costs. BMW = Bring Money Willingly. Seriously, it's fun to drive but they have a lot of issues and you will not get out of the shop for less than $1000 every few months when one of their cheap plastic parts breaks. It will star happening when it is about 4 years old depending on how much you drive it. I can tell you what problems you are going to have because they are well known on the internet and I have personally experienced most of them. Fortunately, a couple of zip ties and other cheap supplies will save you thousands if you are slightly handy and read the online forums!.

If you gave me a brand new BMW I would sell it immediately and buy a Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura!

Good to know! Sound like my motorhome, a 35ft diesel pusher, aka the "Money Pit". Poorly built house on an expensive to repair truck/schoolbus chassis. What could go wrong?? Forget the $500 oil changes, what really kills are the seemingly endless repairs on the chassis. Last year eas $1600 to seal (not replace) leaking differential, including $200 just for a few gallons of synthetic gear oil. A year ago, $3500 to fix a broken slide out. Literally, something goes bad every trip, fortunately mostly minor or "bush" fixable. At least I can say rig is 10 years old, but I hear new ones can be just as bad.

Still, this beast has me spoiled. With my own kitchen, bathroom, and bed I've grown to hate cross country car trips with road food, and nasty restrooms, and hotels. Oh, our friend, a former autocross racer, was showing off her BMW on a brisk drive through the hills of Sonoma wine country. The rubber trim was falling off her glove box cover enough to inconvenience the navigator. She was part embarrassed and part PO'ed!

Last edited:
Truck sounds like a great birthday present to yourself Hermit! Keep the Jeep for the bad weather and use the truck when it's nice so it stays like new for longer.

Did it really take over 1 year from ordering Dec 202 until receiving it Feb 2024?

I got my sweetie a dozen Krispy Kreme Valentine's donuts. With tax and service incl. tip, it was pricier than a dozen roses most times I buy roses. They may not have smelled as sweet, but they sure taste sweet!

Truck sounds like a great birthday present to yourself Hermit! Keep the Jeep for the bad weather and use the truck when it's nice so it stays like new for longer.

Did it really take over 1 year from ordering Dec 202 until receiving it Feb 2024?

Yeah, a truck for your birthday is quite a present. By comparison, I bought myself an early birthday present - I replaced all my underwear with new since I've lost 40 lbs. (Hey, when I party, I PARTY!)

Love my BMW 428i. You won't love the maintenance costs. BMW = Bring Money Willingly. Seriously, it's fun to drive but they have a lot of issues and you will not get out of the shop for less than $1000 every few months when one of their cheap plastic parts breaks. It will star happening when it is about 4 years old depending on how much you drive it. I can tell you what problems you are going to have because they are well known on the internet and I have personally experienced most of them. Fortunately, a couple of zip ties and other cheap supplies will save you thousands if you are slightly handy and read the online forums!.

If you gave me a brand new BMW I would sell it immediately and buy a Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura!

Well, that's not what I wanted to hear! :facepalm: However, I don't put a lot of miles on a car now that I don't have to commute to w*rk, so hopefully I can avoid the excessive maintenance costs for a few years. It is a beautiful car, and fun to drive.

Well, that's not what I wanted to hear! :facepalm: However, I don't put a lot of miles on a car now that I don't have to commute to w*rk, so hopefully I can avoid the excessive maintenance costs for a few years. It is a beautiful car, and fun to drive.

Just my thinking, but the fewer miles you drive (it would seem to me) the clunkier car you might want to drive. Your cost per mile (already high in an expensive car) would be outrageous if you only drive a few miles in an expensive car. YMMV as always.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with an expensive grocery getter.
Few years ago bought a Cadillac CT6 for the purpose, and for my once or twice a week dancing trips to Pittsburgh. Got to go to caoffee shop in style.
Blowing my nieces' inheritance.

Just my thinking, but the fewer miles you drive (it would seem to me) the clunkier car you might want to drive. Your cost per mile (already high in an expensive car) would be outrageous if you only drive a few miles in an expensive car. YMMV as always.

You're not wrong, that's why I posted in Blow That Dough!

You're not wrong, that's why I posted in Blow That Dough!

I get it. The car I really would like to have (over DW's dead body) would be a C-8 Corvette. On Oahu, I'm guessing I'd drive it 20 miles/week, so... I do get it.:)

It did take about 14 months to get the truck and it was not what I ordered, but close enough. I think it was just what the factory shipped and it happened to be close enough to what I wanted for the sales guy to call me.

My son went with me to pick it up and drive the Jeep back. The Jeep was dropped off at the body shop to get the plastic buttons on the fenders installed so the fenders would not fall off. After that, the Jeep went to the auto shop to get the parking brake fixed (for about the fifth time) and to take care of the airbag light coming on - the steering wheel clock spring is being replaced for $850.00. Keeping the Jeep is the real BTD item!

Did you replace the AC too or just the furnace? Is the furnace a fancy variable speed or just basic.

I just replaced my AC and furnace with a nice Lennox for 16K, 15K after Lennox and gov'mint rebates. Very nice, huge variable speed AC to deal with SE AZ summer, mid-level furnace.

I looked into Carrier too. Carrier, Lennox, Trane/American Standard all came up tops for reliablity and satisfaction according to Consumer Reports' 10 yr study. Similar results to what they listed when I have to do this in 2013 on another house, but boy costs have gone up, by a factor of 3X! $$$ :facepalm:

It's just a basic furnace, and it doesn't need to work hard while we're home because we supplement with wood heat. It does need to be reliable for when we travel.

Our house is well-shaded and in Wisconsin, so we rarely use the central air which was inspected but does not need to be replaced.

I get it. The car I really would like to have (over DW's dead body) would be a C-8 Corvette. On Oahu, I'm guessing I'd drive it 20 miles/week, so... I do get it.:)

Been there done that with sports cars. Too many that I care to mention, and I dread to think what I have spent over my lifetime on them. I will give you a clue, I live in SoCAL for nearly 20 years, and there you are what you drive. Probably the most expensive car I ever purchased was a Lamborghini Diablo VTTT VT Twin Turbo, I shudder when I think of the cost. But that was in my DINK tears when I had more money than sense.

Fast Forward to today, I would love a 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6 Speed Manual with less than 100k on the ODO. Neen looking for 3 years, no luck so far.

It's just a basic furnace, and it doesn't need to work hard while we're home because we supplement with wood heat. It does need to be reliable for when we travel.

Wow! Costs have gone up since I had a top of the line furnace (Trane) and basic AC installed in big city mid-west a decade ago. Back then I "only" spent 5 grand for both heat & air.

I was shocked how much "basic" systems cost here in SE AZ. HVAC inflation may have beat my investment returns over the past decade.

My son went with me to pick it up and drive the Jeep back. The Jeep was dropped off at the body shop to get the plastic buttons on the fenders installed so the fenders would not fall off. After that, the Jeep went to the auto shop to get the parking brake fixed (for about the fifth time) and to take care of the airbag light coming on - the steering wheel clock spring is being replaced for $850.00. Keeping the Jeep is the real BTD item!

Yikes! I heard Jeeps were bad, this only confirms. Sounds just as bad as my motorhome. :facepalm:

Been there done that with sports cars. Too many that I care to mention, and I dread to think what I have spent over my lifetime on them. I will give you a clue, I live in SoCAL for nearly 20 years, and there you are what you drive. Probably the most expensive car I ever purchased was a Lamborghini Diablo VTTT VT Twin Turbo, I shudder when I think of the cost. But that was in my DINK tears when I had more money than sense.

Wow! Just have to ask, how much was the yearly "oil change"/PM?? My old boss complained about the $800 Porche oil changes a decade ago. This has to be in another league...

Where did you have the opportunity to really drive such a beast? Was it fun as a grocery getter? Another buddy loves has classic 911, also in coastal CA.

Wow! Just have to ask, how much was the yearly "oil change"/PM?? My old boss complained about the $800 Porche oil changes a decade ago. This has to be in another league...

Where did you have the opportunity to really drive such a beast? Was it fun as a grocery getter? Another buddy loves has classic 911, also in coastal CA.

I did all the maintenance myself. In those days I could do it. It was not new, so no warranties were at stake. I did all my own maintenance with all my exotics and sports cars. I leased my daily driver, so it was looked after for me. I only had it for 2 years, as you say the 405 or the 5 was no place for such a car. I did take it to a track once, I was too nervous to open it up too much, also I was afraid something would break. It was a Garage queen for the most part. ......... Those were the days. :) young with money to burn. Not so now, LOL. My VW Tiguan R-Line does the job quite nicely these days.

Last edited:
This is a self selected Valentine's present for my wife.
PXL-20240212-235330404.jpg

PXL-20240212-235340557.jpg

It is a "Wernicke Systems Elastic Bookcase" circa 1900 or so.
It has the original wavy glass in it.
She will store and display some of her quilt fabric stash in there.
It is commonly referred to as a lawyer's bookcase.
Here is some of the history. The business was open from 1893~1905 as Wernicke, and later this model was sold as Globe-Wernicke after they were acquired by Globe.
http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3903/wernicke-furniture-co

Last edited:
This is a self selected Valentine's present for my wife.

It is a "Wernicke Systems Elastic Bookcase" circa 1900 or so.
It has the original wavy glass in it.
She will store and display some of her quilt fabric stash in there.
It is commonly referred to as a lawyer's bookcase.
Here is some of the history. The business was open from 1893~1905 as Wernicke, and later this model was sold as Globe-Wernicke after they were acquired by Globe.
Wernicke Furniture Co. | Furniture City History

Nice.
Yours looks older than mine, as my glass isn't wavy.

It certainly was a good idea back then to keep the dust off things..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom