Blow that Dough 2024

Jeep™

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

:D

Jeep seems to have some of the most loyal owners. I don't get it, but I can barely run my own life,so...

I see "kids" running around the Island in Jeeps all the time and wonder what that would feel like with my tired old battered body jouncing around in one. Probably not fun for an old geezer like me, but YMMV.

I live at the far end of ten miles of bad road. I have never been stuck, but I have pulled quite a few people out of stuck spots. I have also driven that Jeep Wrangler across the coutry thousands of miles and it seemed pretty comfortable to me. I have also done quite a bit of off roading in it. That is a lot of fun and takes you through some great sceenery. The one major issue for me are thr almost constant maintenance problems. It may be the bad road. I am going to see how this new Toyota truck holds up. So far I cant say it rides any smoother on rough roads.

On a BTD note, I ordered a topper for the truck. :)

Wife just ordered a Futon for the den. GD are getting to the age need another place for one of them to sleep.

This will be some more blow dough coming mid-year. I just a confirmation of a scheduling build date/vin # for a new ford truck.

Build date scheduled for week of April 1st. I just hope it isn't an April Fool's Joke!!

Excited but hate to blow that dough, that darn frugal disease.

This will be some more blow dough coming mid-year. I just a confirmation of a scheduling build date/vin # for a new ford truck.

Build date scheduled for week of April 1st. I just hope it isn't an April Fool's Joke!!

Excited but hate to blow that dough, that darn frugal disease.
:dance::dance::dance: Maverick?

Dealer near me had a 2024 Maverick hybrid with a sticker of ~$28,000 sitting on the lot last week. I went to look at it and it was marked up $5,000.:facepalm:

Dealer near me had a 2024 Maverick hybrid with a sticker of ~$28,000 sitting on the lot last week. I went to look at it and it was marked up $5,000.:facepalm:

That is about what I will pay for mine, 27K and some change.

I was lucky enough to find a Ford dealer willing to take my order for the F-150 at list price, secured with a handshake, no money required until delivery.
Pretty rare in this environment.

I was lucky enough to find a Ford dealer willing to take my order for the F-150 at list price, secured with a handshake, no money required until delivery.
Pretty rare in this environment.

I asked about how the maverick showed up at the dealer and the sales guy said it was a custom order (extras included trailer hitch, bed liner) and the sales manager arbitrarily added the $5K to it and told the customer this is his new price. The customer walked out the door, peeved, I would guess.

Gotta love Ford dealers!

I asked about how the maverick showed up at the dealer and the sales guy said it was a custom order (extras included trailer hitch, bed liner) and the sales manager arbitrarily added the $5K to it and told the customer this is his new price. The customer walked out the door, peeved, I would guess.

Gotta love Ford dealers!

Now you're making me nervous, this will be my first new vehicle purchase.

Now you're making me nervous, this will be my first new vehicle purchase.

This dealer we have in the area is known for marking up high in demand vehicles. I was looking for a Maverick last year and he had marked up all the ones he had, even the non hybrid versions. So I bought a Chev Bolt instead. When I heard he had that 2024 hybrid, I went over to see it and saw the added $5K sticker on the windshield.

I took it for a spin though, to see what the Maverick was all about. It's pretty nice for the price, but pretty basic too. Then I got the story on the special order as I couldn't figure out how they had one and no one else in the area had one (hybrid).

If you have ordered from a respectable dealer, maybe they will hold the price on the order sheet.

This dealer we have in the area is known for marking up high in demand vehicles. I was looking for a Maverick last year and he had marked up all the ones he had, even the non hybrid versions. So I bought a Chev Bolt instead. When I heard he had that 2024 hybrid, I went over to see it and saw the added $5K sticker on the windshield.

I took it for a spin though, to see what the Maverick was all about. It's pretty nice for the price, but pretty basic too. Then I got the story on the special order as I couldn't figure out how they had one and no one else in the area had one (hybrid).

If you have ordered from a respectable dealer, maybe they will hold the price on the order sheet.

Kidding just a little.
I have been playing car dealer roulette for two years now with most of them being anything but honest as you have implied.
This small town dealership was a welcome departure with MSRP pricing policy, no pressure tactics, no BS.
All the other dealers were quoting at least $10,000 markup.
I did not imagine buying a new truck would be this easy.

Gotta love Ford dealers!

Yep, every time you see their obituary.:LOL:

I have no plans to BTD but I could.

In the last year I've added 3 new credit cards to my wallet. Before that I had the Fidelity Visa and the Costco Visa, using the latter for gas, restaurants and travel. Then I played the sign-on bonus game and got an AA Executive MasterCard (also includes lounge access, free seat selection and checked bags although I get the latter two as Gold anyway) and a fee-free Hilton Amex. I charged enough on the two new ones to get the sign-on bonus and now use them only for those brands.

And then Hilton told me I'd drop to Silver on 3/31 (from Diamond, which I'd had after a promotion during COVID). I just got a different Hilton Amex that carries Gold status, with a $150 annual fee and another sign-on bonus. This is a big deal because I'm taking the family to Chicago in early March, have reserved 2 rooms for 2 nights and the meal credits alone will be worth close to $150.

The BTD part: I now have credit limits of $121,500 over 5 credit cards. This is madness. I've reported income on the applications of $100K/year. I do have a stellar credit score and my only other debt is $47,000 on my mortgage.

I suppose they all figure I'm a good risk and maybe I'll use their particular card for all my purchases but I can see why banks get into trouble with bad credit card debt.

So.... should I buy a Maserati or a bass boat?:D

I have no plans to BTD but I could.

In the last year I've added 3 new credit cards to my wallet. Before that I had the Fidelity Visa and the Costco Visa, using the latter for gas, restaurants and travel. Then I played the sign-on bonus game and got an AA Executive MasterCard (also includes lounge access, free seat selection and checked bags although I get the latter two as Gold anyway) and a fee-free Hilton Amex. I charged enough on the two new ones to get the sign-on bonus and now use them only for those brands.

And then Hilton told me I'd drop to Silver on 3/31 (from Diamond, which I'd had after a promotion during COVID). I just got a different Hilton Amex that carries Gold status, with a $150 annual fee and another sign-on bonus. This is a big deal because I'm taking the family to Chicago in early March, have reserved 2 rooms for 2 nights and the meal credits alone will be worth close to $150.

The BTD part: I now have credit limits of $121,500 over 5 credit cards. This is madness. I've reported income on the applications of $100K/year. I do have a stellar credit score and my only other debt is $47,000 on my mortgage.

I suppose they all figure I'm a good risk and maybe I'll use their particular card for all my purchases but I can see why banks get into trouble with bad credit card debt.

Very interesting. I'm not filling up my credit limit but noticed that one of my credit cards (with a shopping channel) was cancelled without notice. It was always paid in full timely, but I didn't use it much, as the only benefit was occasional free shipping. It was only for a $2,000 line of credit, and I'm not reapplying for it, but in the meantime, I decided to take a seldom used credit card and dedicate its use for charitable donations. That's a win- win for me, the card is getting some activity, and it is easier to track donations.

Last edited:
I was wondering why my credit score couldn't crack 800, even with no mortgage or car note, then I realized that if I really want to BTD, and shift from saving to spending, I should raise our credit limits on our main cards.

Now it's exactly $120K (including one card we don't use but keep open because I've had it for 35+ years), and my credit score is 821!

And thanks, athena, for the ideas -- once I'm done w*rking I'll probably try to game a few credit cards like that, too...especially since we'll be traveling more! :cool:

Thinking about all the money we will be spending this year makes me ill, but still fortunate to be able to have the money to pay for it.

From new truck, taxes, old ranch home demolition, tooth work, plus numerous items under 1K. Ouch!!!

Like my wife says it is only money. Lol

Thinking about all the money we will be spending this year makes me ill, but still fortunate to be able to have the money to pay for it.

From new truck, taxes, old ranch home demolition, tooth work, plus numerous items under 1K. Ouch!!!

Like my wife says it is only money. Lol

I feel the same way. My budget has a lot of room for Stuff Happens and "wants". My withdrawal rate is sustainable (net worth is up since I retired almost 10 years ago) so there's no need to put unspent money back in. I do write DS and DDIL a modest check every year (appreciated but never expected) and stash a lot in my grandchildren's 529 accounts. Year to date has been expensive, though! $30K bathroom remodel plus a dental implant. I'm very grateful I over-saved for retirement.

Not to get too morbid, but if you ever got a really bad health diagnosis, you could put a first class round-the-world trip on your cards - and then not pay after you're gone! They couldn't re-possess a trip, unlike a Maserati or bass boat. Heh, heh, pleasant thought, eh?:cool:

I was talking to my BIL about our trucks. How I thought that my current truck would last me the rest of my driving days. But it has 100k miles. BIL thinks I have enough time left for another new truck. I agree.

Thinking about building an old-school arcade gaming cabinet powered by a Raspberry Pi computer and using MAME. I have a colleague who did just that. Not sure if it fits into a 2024 timeline. More to come later...

Mmmm - Donkey Kong, Asteroids Missile Command... :dance:

My older brother chose work over college. I went to college and benefitted about $20k from my parents that he never saw. This has always been at the back of my mind.

He is getting close to retirement and has always lived responsibly financially. But still things are a bit tight despite his low cost of living.

I told him I was going to even up the long standing imbalance including 35 years of inflation and interest.

Now we are both happy

My older brother chose work over college. I went to college and benefitted about $20k from my parents that he never saw. This has always been at the back of my mind.

He is getting close to retirement and has always lived responsibly financially. But still things are a bit tight despite his low cost of living.

I told him I was going to even up the long standing imbalance including 35 years of inflation and interest.

Now we are both happy

Very generous and a great blow that dough.

Thinking about building an old-school arcade gaming cabinet powered by a Raspberry Pi computer and using MAME. I have a colleague who did just that. Not sure if it fits into a 2024 timeline. More to come later...

Mmmm - Donkey Kong, Asteroids Missile Command... :dance:

Plus the original Pac man. Years of a misspent youth allowed to figure out the highest level and effectively play indefinitely on one game until I got tired.

Back
Top Bottom