Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Looks great!
Are you going to stick build the home yourself?
That is the plan. We are going to start framing as soon as we put in the foundation drains and backfill (I will use my little Kubota again for that step).

This is what the house will (hopefully) look like when done (I snipped it from the house plans my wife CAD'd up...they are pretty huge otherwise I would post the blueprints/plans here). Obviously because it is on the sloped lot, it should look a bit taller and more like a mini haunted mansion, which was the goal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cottage.jpg (33.8 KB, 63 views)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #162

Mountain, did you put any coating on the exterior of your foundation walls and footings? If so, what did you use? There are like 500 products out there and I am getting decision anxiety.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #163

Beautiful!
The reward in building your own place with your two hand is indescribable. I have done it twice and the joy and achievement of doing it, is a nice feeling.
Good luck and I can't wait to see your progress as your build begins.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Mountain, did you put any coating on the exterior of your foundation walls and footings? If so, what did you use? There are like 500 products out there and I am getting decision anxiety.
When I saw the house diagram, I thought Adam's Family

For the foundation walls are you thinking some coating (example the historic old black coating) and a bumpy plastic barrier.
Or just pick one. ?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
When I saw the house diagram, I thought Adam's Family

For the foundation walls are you thinking some coating (example the historic old black coating) and a bumpy plastic barrier.
Or just pick one. ?
We were thinking Henry 787 which is a rubberized elastic messy black tar coating that is supposed to flex but keep out water. You apply it to the outside, rather thick with rollers I think.

It is about $110 for a 5 gallon bucket and I think we would need around 4 or 5 buckets. From what I read, be careful not to tar and feather yourself and keep it below grade or just at grade because it does not come off the concrete once applied.

There is a cheaper more widely available Henry 106 or something but it is just tar, with no flex.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #166

Quote:
If I remember right I used a product called Xypex? At the time it was sold at Lowes. It was a dry powder you mixed with water and painted on the foundation with a brush. It was supposed to build some kind of crystalline structure that seals up concrete.

I didn't really want some black, sticky, stinky tar product so the Xypex worked well. I only applied it up to the height of the final grade. It's basically the same color as the concrete, but you can still see the brush marks in a few areas where it peeks up above the ground outside.

I can't really say how well it waterproofs, but with the Xypex, french drain, gravel and landscape fabric running around the foundation, our crawlspace has remained completely dry for the last 15+ years.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #167

A little update. We have the foundation done! We put down fabric at the footings, then gravel, then 4 inch drain pipe with holes, then more gravel on that then fabric, then some gravel and then dirt backfill. Whew.

Yesterday we started installing the pressure treated mud sills on the concrete, then we have to build the wood crib walls to bring the foundation all to the same level (we didn't want the southwest wall to have to be 10 feet of concrete.

It is so nice to finally be out of the dirt and working with wood.

Also...very strange turkey showed up on the lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drain.jpg (1.42 MB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg smallgrav.jpg (1.46 MB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg turkeys.jpg (1.71 MB, 82 views)
Old 07-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #168
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Great photos.

I notice in the photo with the dirt back in place, the neighbor is much higher up, and there is quite a slope. I would be concerned about water runoff/drainage downhill from this side.

Are you concerned about that, or have a plan ?
Old 07-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Great photos.

I notice in the photo with the dirt back in place, the neighbor is much higher up, and there is quite a slope. I would be concerned about water runoff/drainage downhill from this side.

Are you concerned about that, or have a plan ?
If I was building I'd wrap the foundation with a dimple membrane and use weeping tiles that have a sock to prevent clogging.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #170

Quote:
We have the foundation done! We put down fabric at the footings, then gravel, then 4 inch drain pipe with holes, then more gravel on that then fabric, then some gravel and then dirt backfill. Whew.

Yesterday we started installing the pressure treated mud sills on the concrete, then we have to build the wood crib walls to bring the foundation all to the same level (we didn't want the southwest wall to have to be 10 feet of concrete.

It is so nice to finally be out of the dirt and working with wood.

Also...very strange turkey showed up on the lot.
Congratulations! Did you use the plastic sill sealer under your wood sills?

When we built our house it felt like we were never going to get out of the mud. It seemed to take forever to prepare the site, build forms, pour concrete, strip forms, waterproof, install drainage, etc.

Like you, it was an exciting day to get up off the ground and start building with wood. Once you have a floor down it really feels like progress. Enjoy it because framing goes fast. You'll go from a blank floor to basic rooms in no time. Then you have to get comfortable working at heights.

We had a peacock that roamed wild on our mountain the last several years. Some neighbors said there were two, but we only heard the one calling out. I only saw it once crossing the road down at the bottom of the hill. Unfortunately, we have not heard the peacock at all this year, so I don't know if he's still around.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
If I was building I'd wrap the foundation with a dimple membrane and use weeping tiles that have a sock to prevent clogging.
If I were building today I would probably do something similar, but these items were not widely available (locally at least) when we built our house in 2003. Still, perforated drain pipe surrounded by gravel and landscape fabric does the same job, it's just more work to install.

I would also use PEX for plumbing today, but it was hard to find the pipe, fittings, and tools around here in 2003. Our water is too acidic for copper, so we went with CPVC. Easy to install, cheap, and no issues, but I still would have preferred PEX.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
If I were building today I would probably do something similar, but these items were not widely available (locally at least) when we built our house in 2003. Still, perforated drain pipe surrounded by gravel and landscape fabric does the same job, it's just more work to install.
Dimple wrap prevents damp soil from ever contacting the foundation, so it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned...along with a proper drain pipe it's basically a 100% guarantee that you'll never have a wet basement.

My friend had a house built 10 years ago and he had no idea that it existed. I can't believe the builder never offered it as an option/upgrade...you would think that they'd be aware of something like that but I guess most people are more interested in cabinets and counters than their foundation.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Dimple wrap prevents damp soil from ever contacting the foundation, so it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned...along with a proper drain pipe it's basically a 100% guarantee that you'll never have a wet basement. My friend had a house built 10 years ago and he had no idea that it existed.
I had never heard of it when we built our house in 2003, though I think it has been around since the 80's.

In our case, we have a crawlspace with only 12 inches of perimeter wall below grade (above the footing). The wrap wouldn't make a big difference for us, but it would be a smart choice with a full basement or deeper crawlspace.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:36 AM   #174

Crib walls done! Almost ready for the BCI engineered floor joists, which are sitting in the lumber yard. We are also getting a unit of 1"1/8" tongue and groove plywood for the floor. I love that stuff..it doesn't flex.

To answer the question, yes of course we used sill seal. :-) Everything is being done as best engineering practice. This is what happens when two engineers retire early and get bored.

Edit: there are two 2x12 x 3 (4.5" wide) beams that will be running across at the height of the crib walls to add center support to the floor joists. They sit on 6x6 posts on the concrete footings in the middle of the crawlspace. We are installing them today and tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cribdone.jpg (1.37 MB, 72 views)
Old 07-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

^looks great! I like the engineered floor trusses. Makes for some wide open spaces. You must be spacing them farther apart than 16” since you’re using 1-1/8” plywood subfloor.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^looks great! I like the engineered floor trusses. Makes for some wide open spaces. You must be spacing them farther apart than 16” since you’re using 1-1/8” plywood subfloor.
Yes, 24" spacing. I was skeptical, but wife engineer/wannabee architect/wears the pants said everything is fine and makes installation easier.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #177

Beautiful! Keep us posted those days bring back great memories of my home building years.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #178

Quote:
Yes, 24" spacing. I was skeptical, but wife engineer/wannabee architect/wears the pants said everything is fine and makes installation easier.
I'm also a wannabe architect (just for my porch roof project), and want to have a hefty ridge beam and exposed, clean structure with beadboard. But I don't know how to size the structural elements and don't know where to source them either. If you or she has any pointers, I'd appreciate it.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #179

Quote:
Crib walls done! Almost ready for the BCI engineered floor joists, which are sitting in the lumber yard. We are also getting a unit of 1"1/8" tongue and groove plywood for the floor. I love that stuff..it doesn't flex.
Looking great. Reminds me of building our own house which was an awesome experience. Be sure to apply construction adhesive to the tops of the joists before you nail or screw the plywood down. Makes a big difference to minimize squeaks.

It also looks like you'll have a nice view from your place. Somehow I was thinking you were building on a city lot.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice job Fermion! What is the purpose of the stand pipe off the foundation drain pipe.. I've never seen that in the two states we've built in. One built in the E and the other in the W.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote