Can’t Wait to Join You!

DangerDad

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi folks,
I enjoy these Life After FIRE threads...but I’m not quite there yet. My job requires a one year notice—ugh. I gave my notice in December 2020—my retirement date is 12/31/21. Omgosh I can’t wait. Wondering if any of you folks had a one year notice and what you recall re the lengthy countdown. Have I mentioned I can’t wait?
Cheers,
DangerDad

Wow, that's a long required notice.... I gave three months but only 30 days was required... Hope the time flies by for you... It did for me...

We decided that we would retire about 6 months out, but gave about three months notice.

We really enjoyed the last months! We knew we had nothing to lose at that point, so we did anything we could (speaking up at meetings, talking to admin etc.) to help everyone we were leaving behind, and then we just worked our tails off and tried to give them the best work we'd ever done.

I had a great time giving away all my books and supplies, and taking home my own stuff a bit at a time as I packed up over the 6 months. I also created a countdown calendar for the last two months - that was fun! (smile!)

Anyway, glad you did it! Enjoy these last 6 1/2 months!

Volunteered for a package, so effectively no notice. In the past, only gave 2 or 3 week notices, as employment is at will and they could terminate one with no notice.

I signed up for a package that was contingent on 10 months to facilitate an asset sale. The last 10 months I worked a full schedule plus 800 additional hours of compensated overtime due to Covid and the pressures of the asset transfer. I was ready to retire before all that happened, afterwards I never want to think about that place again. Nice check though.

Last edited:
I gave about 8 months, thinking they would need time to train a replacement. Co did virtually nothing, not even turnover visits with customers. I remember counting down the months, then the weeks.

I am curious about this one year "required" notice. Is there some actual sensible factor that supports it? Do they provide an incentive that is not forthcoming if you hold off on the notice?

The company I worked for asked for a year notice if possible. I had no problem doing that and had no issues during that year from being treated differently etc..

One year notice is a little unreasonable unless they're going to sweeten the pie for you stay that long--severance pay, etc.

My MegaCorp gave us one day's notice that everyone 55 and older with 30 years were "going home" permanently. Nothing personal. They paid out the nose for their decision too.

That's a long notice! I didn't have quite that, but I was basically told I was part of a RIF in about October of 2015, and was given no last day or actual details for another 6 months. Very frustrating (my department had basically started communications before getting all the HR/legal stuff, so had to drag things out till the paperwork caught up). Then it was 3 months after I got stuff formalized. (it was well worth it for a year+ severance).

Still, I found the last few weeks to be the most frustrating. Where I had a replacement in training, but I was still on point for stuff because everyone knew me, and yet I had one foot out the door. It will pass though, that's all a blur now.

DangerDad - Congrats on having your date set. Have some fun with it. Mark off each day on a calendar, make marks on a wall somewhere like you’re in a prison, plan a different way to treat yourself at the end of each week until you’re done or something else that gives you a little satisfaction every day or week. Make it fun any way you can.

Thanks for the responses thus far. The one year notice is common within the medical profession—recruitment/hiring is often a lengthy process, and somewhat linked to the calendar because of when most applicants complete their training. Not ideal but part of the package. I have a countdown widget on my phone—and as of today...199 days to go!

DangerDad

Back
Top Bottom