Daylight saving time

We don't miss DST out here one bit, although the sunrise varies by an hour or more over the course of the year.

One of the things I really appreciate about Paradise is the relatively stable daylight hours. Winter days are a bit shorter and summer days a bit longer, but there's none of the 10:30PM twilight of DST on the mainland at 40 degrees N latitude. The downside is that there is very little twilight here. Once the sun sets, you'd better do whatever you need light for within 15 minutes or you'd better have a flashlight. DW and I often say "Night fell!" shortly after sunset.

Someday, just to experience it, I'd like to spend a summer night in Alaska. A buddy from w*rk used to tell about fishing at midnight as the sun was going down. That has a certain appeal to ER type, I would think.

One of the things I really appreciate about Paradise is the relatively stable daylight hours. Winter days are a bit shorter and summer days a bit longer, but there's none of the 10:30PM twilight of DST on the mainland at 40 degrees N latitude. The downside is that there is very little twilight here. Once the sun sets, you'd better do whatever you need light for within 15 minutes or you'd better have a flashlight. DW and I often say "Night fell!" shortly after sunset.

Someday, just to experience it, I'd like to spend a summer night in Alaska. A buddy from w*rk used to tell about fishing at midnight as the sun was going down. That has a certain appeal to ER type, I would think.

Back in the 1990s, a coworker of mine went to Alaska on vacation one summer for about 3 weeks. She told me in the time she was there, the sun rose one hour later and set one hour earlier at the end of her stay versus the start of her stay. Pretty weird, she told me.

Back in the summer of 2001, I was flying from NY to Cincinnati on my way to Portland, Oregon. The man sitting next to me showed me an oddity on his plane ticket which indicated the second leg of his flight going to Indianapolis. [Back then, Indianapolis was an hour behind Cincy during the summer time because most of Indiana did not observe DST.] His flight times, all local, showed him leaving Cincy at 3 PM but arriving at Indy at 2:45 PM because his connecting flight was only 45 minutes long even though he crossed from part of the Eastern Time Zone observing DST to another part of the Eastern Time Zone not observing DST (equivalent to CDT). It seemed like something from The Twilight Zone LOL! :cool:

ack in the summer of 2001, I was flying from NY to Cincinnati on my way to Portland, Oregon. The man sitting next to me showed me an oddity on his plane ticket which indicated the second leg of his flight going to Indianapolis. [Back then, Indianapolis was an hour behind Cincy during the summer time because most of Indiana did not observe DST.] His flight times, all local, showed him leaving Cincy at 3 PM but arriving at Indy at 2:45 PM because his connecting flight was only 45 minutes long even though he crossed from part of the Eastern Time Zone observing DST to another part of the Eastern Time Zone not observing DST (equivalent to CDT). It seemed like something from The Twilight Zone LOL! :cool:

Believe me, living in Cincinnati, and doing some business in Indianapolis used to be weird beyond belief. It's only a two hour drive between the cities, but the time zone thing made everyone crazy. I actually knew people who lived about halfway between them, who had two clocks in the house labeled by the city they were set to.

Fortunately, thing have stabilized now, so we're all in the same time zone again, all year long.

I used to be on a submarine stationed out of Holy Loch, Scotland (Holy Loch Port, Argyll, Scotland - sheltered cruise terminal destination and deep anchorage at Holy Loch Marina, River Clyde, serving West of Scotland) in the 1980s. It was far enough north that during summers you could squeeze in an 18-hour workday topside.

Of course you paid that back during the winters. But it was so cold & dark then that people stayed on board instead of going on liberty, so you squeezed in an 18-hour workday anyway.

Believe me, living in Cincinnati, and doing some business in Indianapolis used to be weird beyond belief. It's only a two hour drive between the cities, but the time zone thing made everyone crazy. I actually knew people who lived about halfway between them, who had two clocks in the house labeled by the city they were set to.

Fortunately, thing have stabilized now, so we're all in the same time zone again, all year long.
In the early 60s the line separating Central and Mountain time followed the Missouri river through ND. Bismarck, the state capitol, is on the east side of the river and the town of Mandan is on the west so there were two towns only separated by a quarter mile wide river but an hour apart in time. They eventually moved the time zone boundary about 10 miles further west.

In the early 60s the line separating Central and Mountain time followed the Missouri river through ND. Bismarck, the state capitol, is on the east side of the river and the town of Mandan is on the west so there were two towns only separated by a quarter mile wide river but an hour apart in time. They eventually moved the time zone boundary about 10 miles further west.

Similar to my Cincinnati story, my ladyfriend before she moved to New York in 2004 lived and worked in the Louisville (Kentucky) area for many years. Her work included a lot of traveling to satellite offices in southern Indiana, just across the Ohio River from Louisville but far enough north so that they were not in the few Indiana counties which observed DST.

During the summer months, these two area were an hour apart so there was often some confusion about appointment times. Often, there were patients waiting at these offices for an hour for her and her (medical) colleagues to arrive. Drove everyone nuts, she told me.

DST should appeal to members of these forums. The "S" stands for Savings. Daylight is saved for a time when most people can enjoy and use it. Reportedly this ends up saving electricity and money. Savings could be increased if they would accept some darker mornings and extend it in the winter.

I'm curious as to how accurate he/she is. Within 10 minutes? 30 minutes?
He's within 5 minutes...

It's no different than the cows that return to the milking barn at the same time of day, regardless of DST or Standard time. Cows don't wear watches - that's udder nonsense :cool: ...

What's the problems again?
dayclock_big.jpg

Back
Top Bottom