Do you still have dreams of previous work life?

racy

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm going on 4 years of ER and once in awhile previous bosses and co-workers populate my dream life. Why is this? How about you?

I dunno, never had this problem.

Heck, I still have dreams about being in the US Navy--and I got out over 25 years ago!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

18 months, and no dreams of the job, but former co-w*rkers show up in dreams regularly.

No, but still have dreams of being totally unprepared for a college exam. 40 years later.

I'm going on 4 years of ER and once in awhile previous bosses and co-workers populate my dream life. Why is this? How about you?

Did you dream about work when you did work? I used to dream about work when I had a different position but now I never do.

who knows what our dreams mean?? I mean except for Madam Leona in Center city, who for 25 bucks will be more than happy to help you figure it out.

lol, I still have the occasional dream of being a ballerina. 40 years since I hung up my toe shoes, along with 60 extra pounds and bad knees

I'm in my 8th year of retirement, and I have dreamed about work a couple of times or three, I suppose.

Every time, I was coming down with a flu-like illness and feeling pretty rocky :)

Normally, no, I don't dream about that stuff.

That's my only recurring dream...like btb, I'm sitting down thinking, "I neverr attended class...how the h*ll am I going to pass this exam!" I rarely have the dream, but when I do, it's obvious.

Never have dreams related to w*rk. My attitude since day one has been that they only pay you barely enough to worry about work while you're at your desk...why extent work beyond that?

NO!

I seldom remember dreams, guess I must dream, but very infrequently remember them.

The dreams I mostly remember were work dreams of a sort. I found and solved more code issues in my sleep than while awake. You know that you're doing too many hours when debugging code in your sleep seems normal.

+1

No, but still have dreams of being totally unprepared for a college exam. 40 years later.

And this too. Even going back to high school!

And heck, I was a very good student. Had the highest baccalaureate test score in my HS graduation class. Highest score in two different college entrance exams. So, I don't know what it means.

I think its the first thing you were completely responsible for, so got a special set of high priority synapses

Hah! Sometimes the being unprepared for an exam wasn't a dream, but the situation was recoverable.

For years after graduation I had a recurring dream that I was one course short for my degree requirements. In the dream I'd enrolled in this course every semester, but never went to class or wrote an exam - could never seem to remember when or where the class was held.

10 months.... yes. Always unpleasant dreams.

Not often. At least, I don't often remember them. When I do remember them it makes me wonder how deeply scarred I really am from it all.

Hah! Sometimes the being unprepared for an exam wasn't a dream, but the situation was recoverable.

For years after graduation I had a recurring dream that I was one course short for my degree requirements. In the dream I'd enrolled in this course every semester, but never went to class or wrote an exam - could never seem to remember when or where the class was held.
Yeah, my dream goes "when am I going to learn to ALWAYS write down my schedule so I can make sure to attend my c!asses"

I sometimes dream about work after 5 years of leaving.

About work, once or twice in the first few years or ER, nothing since. As for college, even though I finished it 31 years ago, I had a dream a few years ago about missing a term paper or something weird like that.

For the first few months after retiring I had workplace dreams. After four years, not so much.
The odd thing was that the dreams I had weren't of the office from which I retired, but from a machine shop where I worked 30 years earlier.

I am coming up on 10 years retired and maybe once a year I'll have a dream about work.

Yes. After 18 months I have stressful dreams about some BS report or presentation that is due. This happens about once a month.

10 months.... yes. Always unpleasant dreams.

Not often. At least, I don't often remember them. When I do remember them it makes me wonder how deeply scarred I really am from it all.

Yes. After 18 months I have stressful dreams about some BS report or presentation that is due. This happens about once a month.

Ohh NO!! I guess I'll too join the minority reporting ongoing w*rk dreams, which I call w*rkmares! I've been out for 2 years. Almost all of mine have been very negative, only a few neutral, but none positive or encouraging.

I get 2 unpleasant flavors. The first is "I'm stuck in a foreign city, I can't speak the language, and I'm having trouble finding my way back home!" The other is "my last official day of w*rk was 2 weeks ago, but why am I still HERE onsite while no longer getting paid!"

I admire those young folks at MM, half of whom seem to FIRE in their 30's. The only thing I think of about these w*rkmares is that my goose was long cooked years before FIRE. :facepalm:

Early on, I had these w*rkmares up to a few times a week. Now, two years later, they have subsides to once every few weeks, and the intensity and general unpleasantness are abating.

Hang in there guys, w*rk is now just a dream (nightmare?)...

Last edited:
I had frequent, mostly unpleasant dreams about my former workplace for 15 years. Thankfully, the dreams have become milder and much less frequent this year.

I surmise the bad dreams were a consequence of staying in a stressful job for years to qualify for company retirement benefits. :(

Back
Top Bottom