Do you work part time in retirement?

I left mega corp at age 55 with a pension and decent sized 401K. I got into real estate thinking that it would be fun for a couple of years. I'm now 8+ years into "retirement" and I still enjoy the real estate. Working with young buyers has been a ball and they know I'm not trying to sell them a house because I need to make next months mortgage payment. I get to be the "fatherly" real estate agent.

I transitioned to a part time professional work schedule in 2015. My weekly work hours can vary from zero to 30. Probably average 10 to 15 hours per week . Although the stress level is way down, it is just enough that you are always thinking about work in the back of your mind. Therefore, I do not feel retired. Still have to do continuing education etc.. I currently plan to stop working and retire at the end of 2022. That appears to be my social security sweet spot. I will be 67+. Really old for this site although I do not feel old!

I retired in 2016 at 46 years old from a Financial Services Firm and was home for about a year before a friend asked me to join him in starting up a new Firm. I am a partner and only make money if the company makes money. I am able to work from home and work about 2-3 days a week. After 3 years we are profitable and making good money. I don't need to work but I enjoy the work and my coworkers. I would not have gone back if it was full time. I think if you can get a good work/life balance - then give it a shot.

I wouldn’t work if I had a boss. Both teaching and consulting fit that criteria. For a long time I was able to teach one class all 3 semesters. They eliminated my class and now I am only teaching one semester a year. It’s a master level class so it’s more fun to teach than the undergraduate class.

I have a hobby job and I still call myself retired because I only normally work about 10 hours a week and I work from home and the deadlines are not tight.

I watch TV shows as a freelance subtitle editor. A lot of people do word puzzles or sudoku to keep their mind fit and entertained. This editing gig keeps my mind fit and entertained. Perfect side hobby job for me and I even get paid to do it (but not very much, but that's OK.)

Having said that, since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been many more projects (new shows) coming my way, and I've been editing more shows, which means more hours of work. It still doesn't feel like a real job though, as after all, I work while watching TV lol.

Last edited:
So my questions are the following:
- Do you do any paying work in retirement?
- How many hours a week do you work?
- What types of jobs are people doing in retirement?

F*** NO! I would set up a cardboard condominium next to W2R under a bridge before working for wages again. (But upgrade to dog food for DW and I - better nutrition.)

Had lunch with a widower friend this week. (Outside patio with a breeze and water front at a grill. I came with a manly black face mask and he wore some pansy assed baby blue mask).

My retired 59 yo friend had just been offered a Directorship at a nuclear plant in Abu Dhabi for stupid money - $450k/yr, two year commitment. He turned it down last week. Good for him. After nursing his wife through her illness, he knows the value of time and money.

Now volunteering for a good cause (that does not jeopardize my health) is a different story. Right now I spend a few hours each week with the HOA - personally satisfying and forming some friendships with neighbors.

Currently, I would not get any joy from earning $10-$30/hr part time job and taking direction from some whippersnapper.

Sounds about right except for the part about W2R.
Even if she was under a bridge, she wouldn't want any forum members knowing who she is.:D

I’m a dentist. I hit my magic number when I was 47 but with kids still in middle and high school at the time I decided to keep going. My youngest went off to college when I hit 51. At that time I decided to “retire in practice”. I cut my hours to 3 days a week and did a lot of traveling.

At 54 I sold my practice and went to work for the guy who bought my practice. I did 12 hours a week then dropped to 8. I also started volunteering at a charity clinic to provide care for the underprivileged. I finally left my old practice end of last year and then everything in the dental industry came to a screeching halt when the coronavirus hit. A friend of mine just asked if I could help him a bit in his office and I have agreed. So I’m back at it for 8-12 hours a week.

I enjoy being able to help people and mentor younger docs just starting out. Staying engaged in dentistry is allowing me to stay mentally sharp and use my skills and experience to give back to this world.

I know some of you say I’m not retired but since I sold my practice 2 years ago the dentistry I do is really more like fun and less like work.

Sounds about right except for the part about W2R.
Even if she was under a bridge, she wouldn't want any forum members knowing who she is.:D

:ROFLMAO: Well, all I would know about atmsmshr is that he was the rich, upscale dude living in the cardboard box next door who could afford to eat dog food instead of worms and dandelions. :D

So my view is I'm retired when I no longer have to work for $'s and no longer have to manage a career or resume.
By that definition there are lots of people working full time who are not retired, that seems to stretch the definition of retired pretty far.

According to the IRS I've had nothing but unearned income for the last 30-35 years. No social security contributions on my part. So running a herd of rentals isn't work, right? Always have been unclear about if I'm working or retired or what.

One of my objectives when I retire is to play more music. I have too many friends who are trying to make a living playing music to compete with them by giving my talents away for free. In my community and social circle it is not acceptable for me to play certain types of shows without receiving payment, but I enjoy playing those types of shows. In fact, it's one of the reasons I want to retire — is to play more music at a quality level that people are willing to pay for, in times and places where others have arranged audiences to listen to me.

Mind you, I try to avoid using words that indicate I'm taking money to play music. I take money to organize the event, drive there, practice for it, arrange the songs, hire the other musicians, pay someone else as a sub if I'm sick, and all that. I also take money out of principle, to support the idea that quality musicians are valuable just like quality plumbers and quality engineers and quality lawyers are valuable.

Yes (extra cash but still enabling Roth conversions)
8-60 hours per month (occasional, remote & I set availability)
Teaching/consulting (decent rate, but some of it I do for free, supporting veterans)

I question myself before every session, but always end up happy after every session.

One of my objectives when I retire is to play more music. I have too many friends who are trying to make a living playing music to compete with them by giving my talents away for free. In my community and social circle it is not acceptable for me to play certain types of shows without receiving payment, but I enjoy playing those types of shows. In fact, it's one of the reasons I want to retire — is to play more music at a quality level that people are willing to pay for, in times and places where others have arranged audiences to listen to me.

Mind you, I try to avoid using words that indicate I'm taking money to play music. I take money to organize the event, drive there, practice for it, arrange the songs, hire the other musicians, pay someone else as a sub if I'm sick, and all that. I also take money out of principle, to support the idea that quality musicians are valuable just like quality plumbers and quality engineers and quality lawyers are valuable.

A Canadian singer/songwriter often plays coffeehouses and house parties in our area. He tells the story that he was a bush pilot up north when a close call with some power lines convinced him to change careers. You're probably familiar with him.

If you are working then you are NOT retired.

Cheers!

A Canadian singer/songwriter often plays coffeehouses and house parties in our area. He tells the story that he was a bush pilot up north when a close call with some power lines convinced him to change careers. You're probably familiar with him.

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed it. I so admire talented people.

I guess I'm not really retired anymore. I tend to answer "Self Employed" on most questionnaires these days. We started a small business in DW's name a few years after FIRE, although I do all the work. I figured we'd make a couple thousand dollars a year. But it's grown so much that I'm making about 75% of what I was making when I was working full time.

I have a few periods of being pretty busy, almost full time, especially near the end of the year. But mostly I work maybe 2-10 hours/week, and sometimes nothing at all for a month or so. When I finish the end of year stuff I don't usually have anything else until late March/April. And I enjoy it, and can do it at my own time. I get to keep my hand in in the high tech/AV world, which is fun. I tend to work on it at night while DW and I are watching TV.

It's very low stress job, and I can just stop doing it anytime I want. So I don't really consider myself employed. More like FI/semi-RE. Not what I had planned at all, but I'm pretty happy with the way it's worked out. It's funny, because I spent most of my working years planning to get out. And I would never go back to work under anyone else's rules. But I'm quite pleased with my current situation.

Years ago I had a patient in his late 70’s who had the appearance, energy and the vibe of someone at least 15 years younger. He would come in well dressed, was very charming- think a mature James Bond.

On one of his visits I asked him what his secret was, and he told me, “the secret to aging well, is to never retire. I could have retired several decades ago but instead I have decided to keep going. I don’t work hard like I did when I was younger but to this day I still go into the office a few days a week and do some work. It keeps my mind sharp.”

This patient lived an active life until the end, when, at the age of 83 he passed away from injuries he sustained when he was thrown from a horse while horseback riding.

I never forgot what he said and I am following his advice. I continue to work a little bit and stay engaged, and it seems to be working because even though I’m now 56, a lot of people I meet think I’m in my late 30’s.

Years ago I had a patient in his late 70’s who had the appearance, energy and the vibe of someone at least 15 years younger. He would come in well dressed, was very charming- think a mature James Bond.

On one of his visits I asked him what his secret was, and he told me, “the secret to aging well, is to never retire. I could have retired several decades ago but instead I have decided to keep going. I don’t work hard like I did when I was younger but to this day I still go into the office a few days a week and do some work. It keeps my mind sharp.”

This patient lived an active life until the end, when, at the age of 83 he passed away from injuries he sustained when he was thrown from a horse while horseback riding.

I never forgot what he said and I am following his advice. I continue to work a little bit and stay engaged, and it seems to be working because even though I’m now 56, a lot of people I meet think I’m in my late 30’s.

If I color my hair, I look like 20 years younger.

I assume your patient had a reasonably short commute which didn't wear him out too much. In my final months of working, I was down to 2 days a week but the 75-minute commute each way on 2 different train systems was wearing me down to the point that I had to make it zero.

But I'm quite pleased with my current situation.

This is all that really matters. If we are happy with our current situation it just doesn't matter if someone describes us as either "employed", "semi-retired" or "retired". Even if that someone is ourselves.

Time to defund the Internet Retirement Police. : )

Shortly after corporate retirement, I fell into a part time dream "job" which I can't believe they actually pay me for doing. I can work any amount of hours I want but like last week, I worked 46.5 hours over 5 days.

I mostly work on my own, but I do have limited contact with others. I enjoy interacting with some of the younger folks and there's one I am mentoring now on FI at his request.

When it's not fun anymore I will quit. But for now I'm having a ball. And the extra income is like mad money to me. I can blow it on stupid stuff with no second thought if I wish.

Last edited:
This is all that really matters. If we are happy with our current situation it just doesn't matter if someone describes us as either "employed", "semi-retired" or "retired". Even if that someone is ourselves.

Time to defund the Internet Retirement Police. : )
+1

Back
Top Bottom