Do you work part time in retirement?

Shortly after corporate retirement, I fell into a part time dream "job" which I can't believe they actually pay me for doing. I can work any amount of hours I want but like last week, I worked 46.5 hours over 5 days.

I mostly work on my own, but I do have limited contact with others. I enjoy interacting with some of the younger folks and there's one I am mentoring now on FI at his request.

When it's not fun anymore I will quit. But for now I'm having a ball. And the extra income is like mad money to me. I can blow it on stupid stuff with no second thought if I wish.
I don't know what you do, but it sounds like the gig makes your FIRE even sweeter! Congrats!

I retired at 59, took two years off and then took a part-time job right before the Covid shutdown. I'm working from home 3 days per week for a call center serving small banks and credit unions. I'm not sure how long I'll do it. Good and bad days like any job but the second I feel stressed I'm out. I'm not in it for the money but for the mental stimulation.

I’ve been retired 7.5 years. Wasn’t really bored for 6.5 years. Moved to a new place where I am not able to do some of the things I enjoyed. So, I am now exploring some options. That includes going back to work at something I can do that is very flexible, and where I can provide something to the market that seems (to me) to be missing. Another option is to move again...not really my cup of tea, but may have to in order to avoid going nuts. Even if I do go back to work, it would only be on my terms, doing something I’m passionate about. I’ve already calculated how much the government would take, because my marginal rate is already on the very high end, so if I do something, I have to be doing it for the passion, because it certainly won’t be for a lot of after tax money.

work in retirement

I have been known to sell stuff on ebay, a little bit of horse trading... but mainly managing various investments. I might like to start some kind of business after this corona crap is under control. It will be after the big mask burning party.

No work for me, unless it's working on my own home or my own project.

No volunteering either, not going to work for anyone for zero pay.

Before the pandemic, I volunteered about 6 hours a week. I was offered a consulting gig with my former employer on very favorable terms; however, I have no interest in working part-time doing a job I quit when I had enough money not to do it. Finally, I would feel bad taking a job away from someone who needs it, especially with unemployment as high as it is now.

Going on my 3rd year teaching 2 computer science courses in fall & spring semesters (summer is for fun!) at a local university. Takes about 15 hrs per week and now I teach from home via MS Teams cause of covid. Don't do it for the $. Do it as my way to give back and to keep my mind sharp.

I retired at 59, took two years off and then took a part-time job right before the Covid shutdown. I'm working from home 3 days per week for a call center serving small banks and credit unions. I'm not sure how long I'll do it. Good and bad days like any job but the second I feel stressed I'm out. I'm not in it for the money but for the mental stimulation.

Listening/helping customers call in for mental stimulation? Sounds more like purgatory to me. :D

After RE in 2011, I went back to school for a year to get my FL teaching certificate. I only substitute teach but I wanted to have some academic background in what I was doing and also have something in my hip pocket in case everything went haywire. I was certified in Math and there is always a demand for math teachers.

I now do most of my subbing at the high school that is two blocks from my house so it's a very short commute. I have complete control over my schedule but I am susceptible to sub coordinator arm twisting when they are desperate for coverage! I have volunteered for a couple of longer term assignments but I'm probably done doing that. Hardest job I've ever done.

There are several math teachers who use me regularly because they won't necessarily lose a day of instruction because I can teach a lesson and answer students' questions as they complete their assignment. It's a good feeling when they say, "Can you be our teacher?" because I know I've helped them understand a concept. But I tell them to never mention that to their teacher!

I don't know what next year is going to look like. Subs will need to be well-trained on all the procedures and protocols and it would surprise me to see that training get done. It always seems sub are an afterthought with respect to any initiative. My HS usually has a minimum of 8-10 teachers out every day and up to 20 on a Friday. It's going to get interesting.

Listening/helping customers call in for mental stimulation? Sounds more like purgatory to me. :D

I've been a life-long learner so I do enjoy learning new systems and procedures. Providing access to online banking was quite a necessary service due to the pandemic. And my little job probably kept me from murdering my husband. :cool:

Grew up with a love for biking and working on bikes, so at age 65 I now am a volunteer mechanic one day a week at a local non-profit used bike shop. Love it. I also work in my basement on friends' bikes from our community bike club. I know the owner of a local for-profit bike shop, and he was in a real bind (bike mechanics not coming in during covid because they were making more on unemployment) so I helped him out for a month or so. Too busy and too reminiscent of the old work grind even if I was making a little money!

Damn it, I not only got paid today, but I even got a tip! A big one. I'm only doing this to spend more time with my GF.

If you work for a paycheck- even part- time- then you are not retired.

Disagree Meleana. Many people don’t need the money but get bored, don’t have a lot of hobbies and enjoy the mental stimulation.

If you work for a paycheck- even part- time- then you are not retired.

At one time, I used to get hemmed up on the definition of "retired", too. Then, I realized that in the long run, it doesn't really matter if someone says they are retired yet still pulling in a W-2 or W-9.

As my DW likes to say, "If you aren't cooking for me, paying my bills, or fornicating with me, then it's none of your business." :D

Disagree Meleana. Many people don’t need the money but get bored, don’t have a lot of hobbies and enjoy the mental stimulation.

Don’t get me wrong. I understand. Nothing wrong with it. It’s just not being “retired” imo.

I agree with you 100%. Someone who's FIREd but loves to play in a band and the band happens to get paid, is a good example. Or people who get bored go back part-time to socialize, and again they happen to get paid. Someone on this forum mentioned that he does snow removal for his frail neighbor and this neighbor insisted on paying a small sum of money, so he takes the money just so the neighbor feels comfortable.

To me, once you're FIRED (Financially Independent part of FIRE is the key), it doesn't really matter what you do with your free time if what you do pays you money or not. If you can't quit working because you need the money (and the money is spent for living expenses as part of your expense budget, etc) or you can't walk away from it for whatever reason (Prestage? Status? Earing more money is important to you?), that to me says the person is not retired.

I do a side gig from home which feels a lot like doing crossword puzzles while watching TV. And I get paid (although not much.) I'm so happy that I found this gig. It's fun and mentally stimulating.

Last edited:
Like others, I also don't get the Internet Retirement Police. I presume they are all related to (or may be) Mrs. Kravitz.

We own and manage rental property - 20 doors after selling a fourplex last year. On average this takes about 10-15 hours per month, unless we have a vacancy or an emergency. Will probably sell off more in the near future. Or not.

My wife used to volunteer quite a bit at our kids middle school. But now that our youngest is in high school, she started working P/T at Whole Foods as a shopper for people who order online.

Not needing the money, being bored when not working or needing stimulation has nothing to do with it. If you're working, you're not retired. That can be a fabulous situation. Moving from some job that isn't your cup of tea to something you enjoy and keeps you from being bored and needing stimulation, even though you don't need the money, is great!!! But, it's not being "retired."

Why are people offended if their work technically makes them "not retired?" I'd love to find something where someone would pay me cash (generous amount) to do something I really like with ultra flexible hours. I'd be giving up saying I'm fully retired, but so what? So far, in 14 years of full retirement, nothing has appeared.

Don't be offended by being described as "working part time." It's a desired status in many situations. It's just not being fully retired. Just semantics.

Don’t get me wrong. I understand. Nothing wrong with it. It’s just not being “retired” imo.

+1

Not only is there "nothing wrong with it," it may be superior to being so-called "fully retired." But it isn't "fully retired."

Why are people so sensitive about being labeled "working part time?" That is often a great situation.

+1

Not only is there "nothing wrong with it," it may be superior to being so-called "fully retired." But it isn't "fully retired."

Why are people so sensitive about being labeled "working part time?" That is often a great situation.

I don't think it matters either way. What matters is if you're happy.

+1

+2
It can be a badge of honor to say one is retired, especially early retirement.
However, nothing wrong with being semi retired either, especially if on their own terms.
Just not for me.

+1

+3.

Back
Top Bottom