Does everyday feel like Saturday?

Not really, no. Because when you're working, Saturday is a release from the pressures and stresses of the work week. It's like, "Ah, at last, a day of freedom!" But when you're retired, you aren't being released like that, and so there's no sense of relief from the stresses.

So technically it's the same, because every day is a day off, but psychologically, it doesn't feel the same, because Saturday has a different meaning when you're working.

Everyday except Saturday. Sunday is really nice since morning traffic is much less in the neighborhood where I ride for exercise each day. It is also relaxing to know that the next day brings 5 more days with less people than on the weekends to deal with if I want to avoid the inevitable crowds of people.

Cheers1

I'm about a year and a half into retirement and still get that Saturday feeling where I don't feel like I'm missing anything or need to be doing something in particular. That feeling was a surprise to me. I thought I'd feel some anxiety or guilt about not working.

There are still some delimiters for the weekend though. Weekends are still best for biking the local roads any time of day and kayaking in the lakes around Seattle because of lighter traffic and better parking opportunities. Another delimiter is that the stock market is closed, so I don't think about looking to see what gyrations are happening there.

I often piss off DW (who is still working for 1.5 more years) when she talks about stuff we have going on during the week and I fake a confused look and ask "and what day is today??".

<smack>

I agree with others, errands are best run early/mid week. Before Covid I was playing racquetball regularly Tues and Thurs evenings so I at least had some day-frame, but now not so much.

Another retired friend once described retirement as "There are no more 'Sunday Nights'"...

No. Saturday’s always had the implicit knowledge that Monday was coming. Retirement is not like Saturday. It it is not not vacation. It is completely different. It is better.

Everyday feels the same. Just gotta remember to take out the trash on Sunday.

Not really, no. Because when you're working, Saturday is a release from the pressures and stresses of the work week. It's like, "Ah, at last, a day of freedom!" But when you're retired, you aren't being released like that, and so there's no sense of relief from the stresses.

So technically it's the same, because every day is a day off, but psychologically, it doesn't feel the same, because Saturday has a different meaning when you're working.
This reflects my sense of saturday. When I was a working man Saturday brought a different type of pressure. There was so much to do, especially with 3 young children, and so little time available.

For me at least retirement is not more free time, it’s less stress all the time.

Does every day feel like a Saturday ?

Every day is a day where I decide what I get to do!
Less stress, less pressure. If I don't get something done, I can do it another day.
Life is wonderful and so enjoyable:dance:

I remember the day of the week every morning. It's right there on the top of my pill box :D.

But the most important day to remember is trash day. :LOL:

I have this reoccurring meeting with the calendar in my computer to find out what day of the week it is. Sometimes I can deduce the day by a situation comedy or NCIS that I may have watched the day before.

I find we still plan our week around the week end - to avoid going out on Saturday, when everyone who still w*rks goes out. This is especially true here in the Islands. You can tell which Friday it is, because most folks get paid every other Friday. Don't know why, but it's traditional, I guess. SO, if I look out on Kalaneanaole Hwy about 3:00PM Friday and it's even busier than usual for a week day, I know it's payday-aloha-Friday. We DEFINITELY avoid Saturday trips that week end. Most week days, we do our in-town stuff between 9:30AM and 2:00PM to avoid either of the rush hours. Saturdays (after payday Friday - fuggiddaboudit!) YMMV

Back
Top Bottom