Dream Jobs

I was looking into a spring training groundskeeper job at the Chicago white sox facility in Glendale, az. Sure enough, I found the job opening online, but it was for both the Sox and Dodgers that share the facility. I didn't want to do dodgers games, so I didn't pursue it.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Besides the pancake hats venture, and maybe also making rainboots out of breadbags, I do love to drive and would enjoy chauffering famous hot dogs in the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 157
My dream job would be the one where I don't have:

* assigned duties
* dress code
* schedule
* expectations
* required interactions with people when I'd rather not
* supervisor breathing down my neck
* back stabbing and office politics
* pay, because to me, pay implies obligation.

Most importantly, I could do what I want whenever I want to do it and I would know that this would never end for the rest of my life.

Oh yeah!! I've GOT that job. It's called 100% retirement, complete and forever. :D

:dance:
The term "dream job" is an oxymoron.

+100000000000000

Last edited:
When I got out of grad school, I landed my dream job working on fraud detection (algorithmic/statistical). It was awesome with great colleagues and I remember at the time thinking it's never going to get better than this. However the recession and corporate politics made the job not fun after a while.

My dream job would be the one where I don't have:

* assigned duties
* dress code
* schedule
* expectations
* required interactions with people when I'd rather not
* supervisor breathing down my neck
* back stabbing and office politics
* pay, because to me, pay implies obligation.

Most importantly, I could do what I want whenever I want to do it and I would know that this would never end for the rest of my life.

Oh yeah!! I've GOT that job. It's called 100% retirement, complete and forever. :D

:dance:

+100000000000000

That's my dream job also. It keeps me busy 24/7/365 working hard at being retired! :dance:

At 36 I got my dream job as a retired stay at home Dad. At 51, I had changed employers and got to be a retired stay at home Dad again. Now, at 61 with a 10 year old Son, my employer has told me come April 15 they are doubling my responsibilities! :facepalm:

Does it have to be realistic? :) I'd love to be able to make money GMing table top RPGs.

Otherwise, designing games is pretty dream job-esque. But yes, doing it for other people who are paying my salary it is still a job a lot of the time. Hopefully when I hit my FIRE number I'll be doing a lot more of the afore-mentioned GMing and designing games I can afford to make/get to kickstarter ready status by myself. :)

• Professional sailor.
  • Conservationist.
  • Animal rights activist.
  • Restaurant chef/owner.
Too bad I didn't know any of these things when I was young enough to do something about it. So I dabble in all four now...

I know a doctor who's at least 60, he's truly a (world) leader in his specialty, and he works Mon-Fri 6am - 10pm at a minimum. He could not love what he does any more, and I'd be surprised if he quits while he is still able to practice. And I have to assume he doesn't do it for the money anymore. I am sure he'd call his a 'dream job.'

Dream jobs are scarce, and those who theirs probably even more rare, probably less than 10%. I've known a few people that love/d their jobs, I have to believe we all have...

Last edited:
In no particular order:

• Golf course evaluator by playing the course and reporting the result by thumbs up or down. All expense paid, of course. I can do this for years.
  • Water boy for USA basketball Dream Team in the Olympics. One event is good enough.
  • Wine evaluator/selector for Costco for a year.
  • Kim Jong Un's job for a month or two.
  • Judge in Iron Chef. Please, please, please ....

Chocolate-chip cookie taster

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Traveling around the country in a truck camper paddling, biking, hiking and taking photographs. Wait - I'm doing that...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For a couple years I had a dream job at megacorp. Project leader, responsible for running/maintaining/enhancing a system of 50 application programs, all by myself. Loved it.

So I find myself in an enviable situation. I recently hit my FI number. I had planned to continue w*rking part-time because it was lower stress, great money. However, recent politics and unscrupulousl financial practices have tipped the B.S. meter to full. I'm planning to resign in the next few weeks.

I'm relatively young at 43. I feel the world is my oyster suddenly. I have been contemplating other "careers" just for the fun of it. The money is completely irrelevant.

So my question to you all is: taking money out of the equation, what would be your dream job?

I was a professional sports photographer for 16 years, doing pretty much
football. That was my dream job. I loved it , for about the first 10 yrs...
I got to cover games for 3 different NFL teams, one Arena team and covered a division 1 college team for 15 years.
My dream assignment was when a magazine sent me to a Arena football
game and told me they wanted just cheerleader photos! That was fun.

To make money I worked as a computer programmer (not a dream job).

1. Teaching Shakespeare and poetry to cowboys up in the foothills of California's Gold Country. (Just be sure to keep a spittoon outside the door.)

2. Teaching reading, writing and drama to promising inner-city kids and talented migrant farm workers.

3. Teaching middle-class kids how to write essays that win them fat scholarships to top-flight universities.

4. Turning gang members into fans of Sophocles, so they re-write "Oedipus Rex" in rap.

5. Mentoring new college grads (from #2, above) when they enter the teaching profession themselves.

6. Do #2-5 in the heart of Silicon Valley, and get to meet Jaime Escalante (of "Stand and Deliver" fame) at a mentor workshop at Stanford.

7. Move to a mid-Western city, mid-career, and prep kids for Ivy League educations at a school built in the heart of a ghetto.

Oh, yeah--that's right. I got to do them all! They were, indeed, dreams come true.

Sadly, though, the dream jobs I did not get to do: becoming a professional ballerina or tap dancer, or a concert pianist, or a singer on Broadway.....( FI or not, one needs talent! :(:nonono:)

Or a tour guide on a bus in Paris.......
Or a cross-country back-packer.......
Or riding my bike from coast to coast.....

(These last two I can't do now because of DH's illness.)

BUT the best dream job is the current one: ER!!!

:D:D:dance::dance:

Seaplane pilot in South America. I forget the name of the airline but it's a regional one and the pilots work barefoot and wear shorts and t shirts. The requirements were pretty high, on the order of 5,000 hours seaplane time, airline transport rating, etc. But it sure looked like a fun job.

Walt, you might want to reconsider - have you been inside Twin Otter? (for non-pilots, it's the type of twin turboprop seaplane used by Trans Maldivian)
It is really loud.
I would estimate >90dB at pilot's seat. Much louder than King Air or PC12.

Walt, you might want to reconsider - have you been inside Twin Otter? (for non-pilots, it's the type of twin turboprop seaplane used by Trans Maldivian)
It is really loud.
I would estimate >90dB at pilot's seat. Much louder than King Air or PC12.

Never been inside one, but did fly as a passenger on a twin engine seaplane once, I forget what type.

I've heard the David Clark noise-canceling headsets are pretty good for high noise environments but admittedly not tried those either.

But hey, this is a dream job. The engines are electric now.:LOL:

A lot of talk about dream jobs on an ER site. Maybe if one found the right vocation they wouldn't need to ER.
Just tryin' to stir the pot.

This thread reminded me of a great song.
From Bachman Turner Overdrive.

---------------------------------------

You get up every morning
From your 'larm clock's warning
Take the 8:15 into the city
There's a whistle up above
And people pushin', people shovin'
And the girls who try to look pretty
And if your train's on time
You can get to work by nine
And start your slaving job to get your pay
If you ever get annoyed
Look at me I'm self-employed <<<<<< :cool:
I love to work at nothing all day <<<<<< :greetings10:
And I'll be

Taking care of business (every day)
Taking care of business (every way)
I've been taking care of business (it's all mine)
Taking care of business and working overtime

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom