Exercise and Health

Interesting thread. My take is that being retired frees up more time. And many who have posted here use some of that time to exercise.

Some here also exercise everyday. While I'll take my dogs for their daily walks, I find that going to the gym, my body wants to take the next day off to recuperate.

Interesting thread. My take is that being retired frees up more time. And many who have posted here use some of that time to exercise.

Some here also exercise everyday. While I'll take my dogs for their daily walks, I find that going to the gym, my body wants to take the next day off to recuperate.

If you are really exercising intensely you won't be able to do it every day. If you're doing it everyday, it is not very intense. It's in the nature of exercise.

As I've gotten older, I've finally accepted the alternate hard-easy theory of exercise. I'll do a fairly intsensive (for me) gym workout one day (say, a spinning class + some weights) followed by a day where I'll take a long walk with the dog or on a treadmill followed by stretching. Works for me at 71.

Try to work out five days a week and active the other days. Make sure I still do much of the labor around the house. Committed to 4-5 days 25 years ago and made it a part of my travel also.

Had this stupid idea in my 40's to try running. Was always a decent athlete but never "jogged". Did okay for about four years then "pop" and lose a chunk of cartilage in left knee. Oh well. Two years later "big pop" and most of the cartilage in right knee gone. I really miss that cartilage and I want it back!

So, the moral of my story is I don't do stuff just because everyone else is doing it.

Have others found themselves to be more active/exercising post ER?

Definitely! I don't like to sit still - my wife would call that hyper ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I do, but I leave it at my condo on the coast. Don't really care to haul it back and forth. Good idea tho.

We have equipped all our homes with exercise equipment and bikes. I figure if we can afford the homes we should equip them right as exercising is so important. Certainly wouldn't be practical to haul stuff around.

We have equipped all our homes with exercise equipment and bikes. I figure if we can afford the homes we should equip them right as exercising is so important. Certainly wouldn't be practical to haul stuff around.

Just curious - how many bikes do you have?

10. Have enough for guests at some places.

Nice! We have 5, and I'm thinking of getting another. Now when DW claims that I have too many bikes already, I can say that I know people with twice as many.

Good deal to have enough for guests. It gets awkward when the host goes biking and leaves the guests.

Nice! We have 5, and I'm thinking of getting another. Now when DW claims that I have too many bikes already, I can say that I know people with twice as many.

Good deal to have enough for guests. It gets awkward when the host goes biking and leaves the guests.

Just received some good advice from a friend. Always buy the same color bike. Makes it more difficult for others to count.

<snip>
Although I was playing racquetball twice a week before, my new regimen now includes taking our two dogs for 1-2 mile woods trails walks every weekday after lunch (at least).
<snip>
Since retiring I switched from racquetball to pickleball. Finding there are a lot of opportunities to play during the day in my area. You may want to give it a try although it is a fairly different game. Your racquetball backhand will be a weapon tho ;)

Yes, agree. We dont spend too much on them, usually around $1,000-1,200. Well worth it in my opinion. In Canmore we need both road and mountain bikes, although don't actually mountain bike much anymore.

Yes! Wore my dog out the first month and had to ease up on the long distance walks or do them without him. Also biking a lot more now, and can go out stand up paddling during the week, which I rarely got to do when working. I've ridden my bike to lunch with former business colleagues which is fun. I try not to gloat too much!

Ultras

I am definitely enjoying having more time to be active in retirement. I've finished 2 100 mile running races, something I don't think I would've had the time to train for while working.

Congrats RunningBum! Hard to train for this while still spending 8+ hours a day at w#$k! I have one coming up in a few weeks. With about 30 miles of total training spread out over the past six months...ouch. Which races did you do?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom